Lost in Space...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TheBobGoat

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Hey, I am planning on getting DTV here but live in a sh!tty state near a sh!tty town

dont know anyone who has satellite. back in my big city days, i remember seeing [at the tv store] a message that said...'signal lost' on their display tv's.

i think it was raining that day and want to know if this is typical? how is your service when the wx gets bad and how often does it go out on you?

thanks

Have had E* for about 7 years and it has happened maybe 3 times I can remember. And each time it was raining REALLY hard. Even then it was only out for just a few minutes (less than 5) during the downpour.

thanks a lot --- you happy with them?
i am basically getting it because I have a new HDTV showing up in a week

problem - moving in 6 months...maybe to seattle (hence the rain Q)

Yes, overall I'm happy. I've had their 811 HD box for about 3 weeks now and although it has issues, they appear to be fixable via software upgrades (whenever they get around to it!) For the most part I am very happy with the 811.

You mentioned that you will be moving - they have a program where they will install a new Dish500 and any necessary wiring at your new location at no charge when you move. You just bring your receivers with you. Details here:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customerCare/moving/index.shtml

It does rain alot in Seattle, so maybe someone who lives there can comment on any rainfade issues (which, by the way, would be pretty much the same with either D* or E*.)

ya, i just talked to them on the phone.. .they said right now i live in a location (due to being in the middle of nowhere) where i am not elligible for the free moving program. it is because pegasus provides me with service and not directv directly. oh well

i need to look into STB's for OTA now -- called the local CBS, said they should be HD by the big game

TheBobGoat said:
ya, i just talked to them on the phone.. .they said right now i live in a location (due to being in the middle of nowhere) where i am not elligible for the free moving program. it is because pegasus provides me with service and not directv directly.

Interesting - I didn't know D* offered a similar free moving program.

The whole Pegasus setup is crazy. What good is it to offer a 'free moving' program if there will be a good chance you won't be eligible?

IMHO, you should consider E* and their free 811 offer. That would provide you with an OTA HD tuner.

TheBobGoat said:
problem - moving in 6 months...maybe to seattle (hence the rain Q)

That's not an issue here in the Pacific Northwest (I'm outside of Portland).

It rains alot of the time in the fall-winter-spring, but almost never heavily. Not at all like Florida, where you can get soaked to the skin just walking from the door to your car. Here, it's just a light, near-continuous mist. So it's almost never intense enough to interfere with the signal.

My signal went out 2 days ago, but hte dish had a half-inch layer of ice all over it, That only happens every 10 years or so.

Be aware that a properly aligned dish is necessary for good rain performance. If properly done, the signal should only get interrupted when there is some serious water between you and the bird.

true --

i think i just need to move.

cable i have doesnt offer HD, OTA doesnt work due to my location and distance from broadcast antennas (and lack of large antenna on roof [because i rent])

going to try once again with the sat people here (only local dealers can serve my area says Directv) so pegasus is who i have to talk to. they have a trailer on the side of the road that looks great
maybe they have some kind of 6 month deal if i stay with Directv....all i want it HD!!!

EDIT -- the dish people told me the HD receiver is on backorder or something and that they would call me back within the month!! what about my superbowl?! i think im going to email/call them again!!
anyone got any info on that or heard about a backorder?

TheBobGoat,

I live in Seattle. I've had satellite for over five years and have only VERY rarely had rain drop outs. Even though we get rain nine months of the year, it's mostly drizzle. You probably get more total inches per year in MS, and probably get the downpours that we don't. My neighborhood in Seattle is behind a hill, and we only get about 30 inches of rain a year. When you stretch that out over nine months, it's not very much at any given instant.

The antennas are not ultra-sensitive to positioning, either. I live on a boat, and can still pick up the signal when the boat moves around five or ten degrees left or right. It more sensitive, however, to the up and down aiming. Typically when I get rain fade, it means it's time to tighten up the lines holding the boat.

thanks a lot brad. sounds fun living on a boat. i should live near the base when i show up in a few months

TheBobGoat said:
how is your service when the wx gets bad and how often does it go out on you?
In about four years of Dishnet service I've only noticed the signal go out a handful of times (probably less than 10).

But I discovered that it didn't matter how much it was raining on the dish -- what mattered most was how thick the cloud was between my dish and the satellite. Once or twice I've lost signal when there was no rain falling on the house but a huge, dark cloud in just the right place. That would also explain the times that I lost all the channels on one satellite, until the cloud moved to block the other satellite too.

But I remember cable during rainstorms too -- it would go out, frequently for hours at a time, much longer than satellite ever did.

...they said right now i live in a location (due to being in the middle of nowhere) where i am not elligible for the free moving program...
If you can install the antenna yourself at your new home, you might be better off without the "mover's program" anyway -- you can avoid some hassle and expense (or a commitment extension) and possible downtime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts