Lost my external Hard Drive

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tdenton1138

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Its not that this hasn't happened before on occasion. Sometimes it will drop out on a reboot, but after one or two restarts I've always manage to get it to come back online. I've now been stymied on 5+ (?) attempts. Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions?

Antec MX-1 case with a 1.5 gb drive (Barracude 7200.11) - this setup has worked fine for a couple of years

Thinking about it, I suppose the hard drive could have failed somehow, but the only way to check would be pull the drive and try to run some diagnostics but I'd hate to wipe it out. On the other hand, if I can't get it to work another way...

edited for additional info while I reboot once again: This is on an HR20-700. When I reboot, the "Running receiver self-check" screen will be up for something like 10 or more minutes (haven't timed it)...

Ah ha, for the first time I get this error:
"
A problem has been detected in the storage device.

This may be a simple initialization error or a critical fault.
Please reboot the box now. That may fix the problem.

If that does not work then call Customer Service at 1-800-DIRECTV
and report the diagnostic code displayed below.

Diagnostics Code: 75-043
"

Looks to me like I need a new hard drive... Any other suggestions or perhaps just an updated suggestion on hard drives?

Further update: Ok, I pulled the drive from the enclosure and tried it with my external usb cable setup and it doesn't even show up other than the computer sees a usb device (which is just the adapter). The drive is spinning (interesting rotational forces when to hold it), but it seems dead otherwise. I tried to initialize it and it failed. So, aside from getting the same drive, what suggestions might anyone have?

Last edited:
Ok, so the drive failed Seagate's diagnostic tools and turns out to be under warranty (!), so we'll see what happens when I return it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)