Lost signal from all three Sats

Backup...

Does DISH have a backup uplink....???? and if they do, why not use it....????

Now days is just a matter of flipping a switch, at least were I work....

I understand bad weather but it has happened to many times already to not have a backup plan.

Just wondering :)

Last nights outage was caused by VERY bad weather at the uplink.

A Dish Network spokesperson confirmed this for me earlier this evening.

With all due respect, Scott, this is a total pile of kaka.

I watched the weather all evening. As I said earlier, I live less than 40 miles south of the Cheyenne uplink center. Took my daughter to soccer at 5 and stayed out until 7. Some mild overcast, but nothing major. Most of the evening, we had scattered cumulus clouds with patches of blue.

A thunderstorm did finally roll in, but that occured at 12:30 AM this morning. I did a random sampling, and I couldn't find any channels that went out during the storm.

I would submit that something else is happening.

With all due respect, Scott, this is a total pile of kaka.

I watched the weather all evening. As I said earlier, I live less than 40 miles south of the Cheyenne uplink center. Took my daughter to soccer at 5 and stayed out until 7. Some mild overcast, but nothing major. Most of the evening, we had scattered cumulus clouds with patches of blue.

A thunderstorm did finally roll in, but that occured at 12:30 AM this morning. I did a random sampling, and I couldn't find any channels that went out during the storm.

I would submit that something else is happening.
I surely don't know about your state, but in Indiana summers, five miles or less can make the difference between No rain and 1" in one hour. So to me, 40 mi is too far away to make weather assumptions based on what you experienced.

Maine weather isn't much different. Half our city could have a massive rain storm the other other half could be dry.

The common phrase is "Don't like the weather? Wait 5 minutes". :)

For the record there were three widespread outages lasting approx. 20 minutes each that have been unofficially attributed to bad weather over the up-link center in Wyoming: One on the 18th, 20th and the 22nd. Any other outages individual subscribers may have had, or continue to experienced, are unrelated.

NightRyder

Last edited:
Do you all believe it it is related to the weather. Why is it that not all people lose the signal at the same time?
And why would the check switch Test fails if the problem is due to the uplink in Cheyenne.
Is this one of dish update that is screwing people up?
Just seems odd.

Actually we were invaded by aliens that night. We don't even know it yet. They are now using E*'s sats in very specific frequencies that interfere with human serotonon levels so they can fry our minds and take over and eat all of us.

:hahathat's a good one...

I am just frustrated because I am a huge fan of BB, and planned on recording all the episodes along with some of the After Dark stuff on DVD, and now those plans are shot. My only hope...EBAY

Sat 110

We also lost signal last night sometime after 7. I was recording BB8 and had the Packer game paused with the TV OFF. Turned TV ON at about 7:30 and no signal. Changed channels from local to Food Network (because it is on a different sat) and everything came back.

This loss of signal has been happening since early July. It only happens with my local channels (110). Last time it happened I called tech support and they said they are having problems with 110 and are working to fix them.

I don't buy it when they say it is due to weather. I've been a customer for 4 years and this was never a problem until this year. Maybe Dish should put more effort into fixing these annoying problems than adding duplicate HD channels and $40 external storage. Why would I pay $40 for external storage when I can't even be sure I can record a show without losing signal?

Wow, now I feel better.;)

I don't buy it when they say it is due to weather. I've been a customer for 4 years and this was never a problem until this year.
I agree. I've had Dish for a number of years and been visiting this site for the same time and never recall this happening before. Has it ? I'm sure it has.... Twice in one week ?? Nah....

I surely don't know about your state, but in Indiana summers, five miles or less can make the difference between No rain and 1" in one hour. So to me, 40 mi is too far away to make weather assumptions based on what you experienced.

Yes, I understand that. Please folks, give me a little credit. I live on a ridge that looks out to the north. On a good day with binoculars, I can see the wind farm that is about 5 miles sw of the uplink center. However, I am not looking at my weather, or the clouds above me. I am looking at the clouds to the north of me when I make these reports. Since the uplink center is at approx 41 deg N lat, that says that the dishes are pointing south at a 45deg angle. If I am looking North at a 30-45 degree angle, I can clearly see the cloud cover that would affect the uplink.

My point is that several of the times that DISH has recently blamed outages on heavy thunderstorms, the sky has been clear or lightly overcast. Also, I note that posts 122, 124, 131 and 134 all reported outages well before the person who quoted weather underground showed me the thunderstorms in Cheyenne at 9:30 PM.

I need to apologize to Scott, as he said "last night's outage". I read that this morning, and didn't notice he had posted it early yesterday evening. Therefore, I was reporting on a different day.

Last edited:
No big deal man. Don't worry about it. We are all just getting frustrated with the outages and looking for answers.

A couple notes.

The issue I had last night apparently was due to issues Dish was having with Local channels in my area. It was very odd as it acted like the 129 sat disappeared.

I did get to talk with a total beotch of a tech person who only after walking me through 30 minutes of receiver dicking around that they were having issues.

Also, the uplink sites have much more power than the sats sending stuff to us. Thus the Uplink site needs a lot more of a storm than we subs do to experience rain fade. Their transmit frequency is different than the sat transmit frequency thus more resistance.

There's no such thing as rain fade according to the D* people in the other side of this site. There is something wrong with your equipment, connections and your dish. :rolleyes:

That's four times in six days (8/18 - 8/23) the Dish has lost a satellite signal. I've been a Dish customer since 1999 and I can only remember one other time (other than the sunspot activity times) that Dish lost satellite transmission. Something else besides thunderstorms in Cheyenne, WY is going on here. Scott, here is a job for a good investigative reporter.

Every time Dish doesn't pay the power bill, the local utility cuts it... After the generators run down, a Brinks truck shows up out back of the Cheyenne uplink facility to pick up the payment and they turn the power back on.

Those 30 minute blips are just the time it takes for Brinks to get over there. :D

--Droo, @Network

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)