Lost video

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DrJ

Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
North Carolina
I have been experiencing a problem with one of my Directv boxes. Sorry I don't know the model but it is a fairly basic box (no HD) with a DVR. The problem is that occasionally the TV screen will go "wavy" (for lack of a better description) and then the screen will just go black. If I push the red reset button on the box and go through the reset process, the video comes back and is fine again for a couple of weeks. This only happens once every two to three weeks. I tried another box on the same TV and it worked so I assume it is a problem with the DVR box...right? If so, how do I demonstrate the problem for a repairman? Should I wait until it happens again and then not reset it until a repairman can get here to see the problem or is this a known problem that the repairman will recognize from my description? Its not that big a deal, but it does get old after while. Thanks for any feedback you can give. Jim

The first troubleshooting I'd do it to reseat the connections between the TV and the DVR (both ends). The next is to try a different connection., BTW, what connections are you using?

How is the box connected to the TV? Try replacing the cables. If that doesn't fix it, just call and say it is dead and you would like them to send you a new one. If you don't have the PP, it's a 20.00 charge assuming it's a leased box.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did disconnect and reconnect the cables with no effect. I have a fairly old TV so I am using the composite (red, yellow, white ) cables. My TV doesn't accept the newer type of cable connector. It isn't a big problem since it only happens every 2-3 weeks and I thought it might just be a characteristic of some of these box since I had read on the forum here that some people reset their boxes weekly. Anyway, I guess I will give Directv a call this week and see if they will replace it. Wildbill, not sure what a PP is so I guess I don't have one but $20.00 for a replacement doesn't seem too bad. Thanks again for the info. Jim

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)