Lots of Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
While you can not set the display order you can specify which forums you see.

You can set these options in the Control Panel under preferences.

While you can not set the display order you can specify which forums you see.

You can set these options in the Control Panel under preferences.
Only problem with that, is I like to see the other forums, they just arn't my priority when I come here, and are usually clicked on if I've finished catching up on the Dish stuff and want to browse something else.

With a bit of reluctance I have renewed my Pub Membership...I like the posting of the rules, some of them I don't agree with, but I don't make the rules. I don't like that the pit was removed, but like I said, I don't make the rules. I think I have a stake in what happens here because I PAY. Thus this post. I don't like the santizing of the site because Directv might be watching. Hey its a dog eat dog world out here, don't wear Milk Bone underwear, Directv. If you don't want to know your DVR sucks don't come here.

On the other hand...

As neither a customer of Echostar or Directv I really don't have a dog in this hunt, BUT.....I am very disturbed at the direction BOTH of them are going with on the issue of stifling content control. And Management HERE just going along with no concerns.

I don't get along for sake of getting along. And if either company ever wants my money again they had better stop with the Gestapo-like control of their DVR's and content. I know I am a lone voice in the wilderness, but this latest stunt by DISH is egregious. Filling up YOUR hard drive with programs YOU don't control and THEN charging you to view content on YOUR own drive that YOU paid for the internet access to get? Absolutely outrageous.

And that Scott condones this just because its 1080p confuses me to no end. :confused: Its a money grab, pure and simple. :down

I'll be in the FTA shack if anyone needs me. at least there I control my content. :D

Can you consider re-ordering things based on the main focus of the site ?

I kind of wish the Pub stuff was near the top (as opposed to the exclusive stuff). But yes, the "meat and potatoes" stuff is far down the list.

Has the newsgroup thing always been there under the Pay Members area? Just reported some spam because I didn't realize what it was until afterwards... (came to the site via RSS)

Good job Scott and thanks for all the hard work you do.

It was added fairly recently (~2 months ago ?) because many ISPs started dropping the alt.*.* newsgroups. I didn't realize it was in the 'pub' area but maybe it was put there as an extra benefit of paying.

Has the newsgroup thing always been there under the Pay Members area? Just reported some spam because I didn't realize what it was until afterwards... (came to the site via RSS)

It has been a Pub Member feature for a few months now, as many of the major ISP's have eliminated Newsgroups from their services, and a number of SatelliteGuys members have noted that they wish they could access the Dish Network newsgroup (DirecTV doesn't have one or we would carry it too) and so I added it as a pub member "thank you" features.

With the forum reshuffle this weekend I moved it out so that others could see that we offer this great resource.

Honestly, the best option is one beyond your control at this point, but you submit an enhancement request to the vBulletin people to allow user-controlled customization of the main forum list page. It's VERY common on all sorts of websites today in that they allow the user to move "sections" up and down at will.

To be honest, I'm about to turn off the "exclusive" section entirely. You usually link to the podcasts on the main page and I can follow that link. The uplink reports are nice, but I don't get excited about "mystery" channels or even actual channels that I can't watch yet ! :D "The List" isn't something I'm too interested in either. Maybe once in a great while, but hell, until yesterday, I thought it was all FTA listings ! I already suggested that it could be improved in that regard in another thread.

The "Hometown" stuff is -- not meant in a bad way -- frivilous stuff or "extra" and doesn't warrant, IMO, to be above the satellite stuff at all. Also, you recently started saying the site is satellite and home-theatre-centric, so the "Home Theater" section should follow the satellite one.

It has been a Pub Member feature for a few months now, as many of the major ISP's have eliminated Newsgroups from their services, and a number of SatelliteGuys members have noted that they wish they could access the Dish Network newsgroup (DirecTV doesn't have one or we would carry it too) and so I added it as a pub member "thank you" features.

With the forum reshuffle this weekend I moved it out so that others could see that we offer this great resource.

Scott, why not add alt.dbs.directv?

I just took a look at it this morning (my ISP still does news server) and it looks pretty good, very little spam. Still gets about 2-4 posts a day.

Okie-Dokie. I just glanced at it, reading what you wrote originally I thought there wasn't even a newsgroup at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)