Lots of Dish Information!

So as for my upgrade install on March 25th from AT120 with Dish 500 to HD Silver with ViP622, I understand I will get a 2nd Dish for 61.5 instead of a Dish1000?
Or did I get that wrong?

animalhouse said:
Let me explain. Right now, I have one dish for DISH TV and one for my internet (Starband). If I have to get another one to get the local HDs out of DC, I'll have to put another dish on my roof. :)

Something like this? Welcome to my world. :eek:

Last edited:
juan said:
Nope thats KBS................KBSWORLD is on 704 and 121 only

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/dishlist.htm

I'm just going off what Scott put
pi.jpg

ralfyguy said:
So as for my upgrade install on March 25th from AT120 with Dish 500 to HD Silver with ViP622, I understand I will get a 2nd Dish for 61.5 instead of a Dish1000?
Or did I get that wrong?

I would assume a DISH 1000. Oklahoma has no problems seeing 129.

So, if they are getting rid of the SuperDish cities (like Baltimore), will I finally be able to get EPG information for those Baltimore OTA channels I can receive? I'm officially in the Washington, D.C. DMA, so I get all the local information for those right now (921 subscriber).

That Ice Cream promotion has to be one of the funniest things I've ever read about...

KBS Workd is currently on 121° and the PI/FTA version of the channel is on channel 9850. AFAIK channel 652 at 61.5 is not visible to anyone without a Korean pack. Channel 704 at 121° which is also KBS is not visible to anyone without the Korean Packs.

See ya
Tony

Last edited:
I am a new customer in the Dallas area and am set for install April 5th. Originally I was just going to get my local channels (including high def locals) with my over-the-air antenna to my VIP-622, but then I read that I would not get the EPG data on this forum and hence my DVR would be useless for my local channels. So, given that I guess I now have to subscribe to the local channels also, what type of Dish do I need? Dish 1000 or Dish 500 with extra dish (like for the Washington DC area?). Thanks.

Tom Bombadil said:
Perhaps feedback on how difficult it is to hit 129 from DC led them back to a two-dish solution for that location. They could have avoided the DPP44 requirement for DC by not putting any DC-related content on 61.5. But if a lot of customers couldn't hit 129 because it is too low, then that would be a constant problem for installers.

How many of the 21 public interest channels do we already get? It doesn't say 21 additional channels, so I was left wondering if the existing channels from the 9400 block were being counted in this.
I wonder what those poor shlubs in Erie.PA are gonna do now that their LIL is off the 129.....Heck up there the 129 is so low in the sky a tree three yards away could block LOS to 129.

The info in post one did not address one possibility for the DC area:

- If an existing customer has a DISH 500, and now wants to subscribe to HD, but is not interested in subscribing to any locals or the international channels or the PIs on 61.5.

Per Iceberg, it would seem that 129 reception is poor in the DC area, so would that mean in the above situation they would still install a second dish, pointed at 61.5? Or stick with the Dish1000, which seems to be what they would put up for a new subscriber who did not want locals?

My install is Tuesday, and I'm trying to prepare for whichever approach they take.

For the DC Market, a highly recommend going with a 2nd Dish 500 at 61.5 if possible. My signal levels were much lower (20 points) when I swung my 61.5 Dish 500 over to test 129...and I can't imagine how poor the signal levels would be with a Dish 1000. My signal levels are generally between 102-115 and I don't think I've ever experienced rain fade at 61.5 (EchoStar-3 or EchoStar-12).

I have a 622, 942, and 811 (5 tuners) and daisy-chained a 2nd DP-34 switch. I highly recommend keeping your OTA antenna in place if possible. HD LIL may be nice for some people not having an OTA antenna, but I quickly noticed the 720p channels are a bit softer (ABC, FOX)...,but not bad, and the 1080i channels are both soft and choppy (CBS, NBC)...watching the NCAA tournament on CBS (WUSA-DT 6360) was like being on LSD. The encoders still need work! Of course, I also have two OTA antennas (DC and Richmond) and I pre-wired the house for VOOM's Whole Home Networking solution (wishful thinking) and have 4-6 coax ran to each location.

Thanks to all. I guess I'll see what he shows up with. I probably won't be given a choice.

It may be moot- tomorrow's forecast is rain & snow, 60%, high of 32 degrees. Roof top mount. Think the installer will show?

BTW, on March 10th I arrived home to see a box from Dish outside my door. Happy happy, joy joy. So much for the ViP622 shortage! Then I picked it up to carry inside. Yep- a box from Dish. Just a box. I'll be shipping back my 301. And then on the 17th, the REAL ViP622 arrived. I guess I'd better open it up, to be sure it's not an 811 or 921! ;)

WAF for a single antenna is high, real high. Second dish may improve reception, but may also increase "interference."

I can hardly wait for April 1, 2006! We have major OTA reception issues with our Washinton, DC locals and we already have the Dish 500 + 61.5 dish, so I will be looking forward to receiving my 622!! I would like update the 811 at the same time, but I'm not sure they will have a similar deal, so this one might just have to wait a while. Come on April 1 !!!!

--Doug

BTW, I'm certainly keeping my OTA antenna. It's at the other end of the roof from the Dish500. The only question is whether I put up a larger antenna to try to bring in Baltimore/Annapolis. WAF on a large VHF/UHF isn't too high, either.

I live in the Salt Lake City market and already have a Dish 500 and a wing dish pointed at 61.5. Will I need a Dish 1000 on April 1, or is it recommended that I keep the 500 and 61.5 wing?

Will any of my channels ever leave 61.5 and go to 129? If this is a possibility, the Dish 1000 is the way to go isn't it?

One more question, if it is recommended to keep the 2 dishes on my roof, can I install the Vip 622 myself? I find it pointless to have an installer come over to my house to swap out recievers if I can do it.

Thanks for the help guys.

If you're getting a good strong signal on that 61.5, I don't see why they would change it. No need to remove a dish and replace another dish with a 1000. However, I look forward to a reply on this from someone more knowledgeable than I.

No one can predict the future with any confidence, but right now it seems Dish will NOT be removing the national HD channels from 61.5. Since many areas (the Northeast, southern tips of FL & TX) cannot get the 129 signal, they must provide the channels from 61.5.

As far as installing it yourself, lots of folks want to do this. The short answer is no, but I believe some have succeeded in doing this. But if anything goes wrong and you need a later service call, you'd have to pay for it. Do a search and read the postings on this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts