Why isn't ESPN Deportes in the Top 180 package?

Mr_Crowley

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
As a football fan, soccer to Americans, it would be nice if Dish offered ESPN Deportes as part of the Top 180 package like they do the Fox Soccer Channel and Gol TV. I'm not spanish so I don't see myself getting the Dish Latino package just to watch one channel. I really wish I could see all of the Champions League games instead of the paltry 1 or 2 games per round that they show on ESPN2. And why aren't they in HD?

Mr_Crowley said:
As a football fan, soccer to Americans, it would be nice if Dish offered ESPN Deportes as part of the Top 180 package like they do the Fox Soccer Channel and Gol TV. I'm not spanish so I don't see myself getting the Dish Latino package just to watch one channel. I really wish I could see all of the Champions League games instead of the paltry 1 or 2 games per round that they show on ESPN2. And why aren't they in HD?

No, the channel you want them to give to us football fans is Setanta Sport, which is already on DirecTV as a standalone, a la carte channel for $11.95 a month. They show TONS of football plus rugby, Aussie Rules and other stuff. GREAT channel.

According to information posted in another thread on this board, Setanta has approached Dish with regards to a carriage agreement, but they're waiting to hear back from Dish.

You may send your letters to ceo@echostar.com to encourage them to add Setanta Sport. Join the club on it. :)

Dish does carry ESPN Deportes, in all the DishLATINO packages. You won't find it the AT or DishHD packages, probably because it's in Spanish and Dish thinks it would only appeal to DishLATINO subs.

Doubt Dish is going to add a Spanish language channel to AT180 unless the channel is free or almost free, and I'm sure that Deportes is neither of these. If Deportes added an english-language feed like Gol TV has, then I could see asking for it to be added to AT180.

As for Setanta Sport, it does show a lot of soccer, but it does not show any Champions League games (these all belong to ESPN), and all the really good games they have are still PPV. :(

jrbdmb said:
-snip-

As for Setanta Sport, it does show a lot of soccer, but it does not show any Champions League games (these all belong to ESPN), and all the really good games they have are still PPV. :(

Actually, Setanta does show Champions League games and most of them are NOT on ESPN/ESPN2. I just watched the Barcelona/Milan match which I don't believe was on ESPN and there were MANY early round games on Setanta. I don't think ESPN started showing Champions League until recently.

My only problem with Setanta is that as of the first of the year the amount of soccer they show (e.g. Football League) has been decreased significantly and I would say 70-80% of what they show now is Rugby/Hurling/Gaelic Football and lately Aussie Rules (not that there's anything wrong with that :). You can go several days on the schedule and see just wall-to-wall rugby. Setanta still DO show some football (if you want LIVE SPL it's PPV but they do show a lot delayed), most of which you can't get anywhere else, but it's not like it used to be.

=NLK=

I just want to be able to watch most of the Champions League games and most of them are not currently available even with the Top 180. I mean it's not like they don't carry this channel already. It doesn't make any sense to not make it available to the Top 180.

Not everyone who enjoys football is spanish. Dish is doing a disservice to it's non-spanish customers who enjoy 'the beautiful game' by not even offering it except for Dish Latino.

jrbdmb said:
Doubt Dish is going to add a Spanish language channel to AT180 unless the channel is free or almost free, and I'm sure that Deportes is neither of these.

They already carry 3 or 4 spanish only channels, why can't they add another?

As a reminder, you can have ESPN Deportes a la carte for $12.49 a month. You will also get another 20 or so channels free with that. :)

The Dish Latino BONUS pack is $12.49 a month for America's Top ## subscribers. This package includes ESPN Deportes along with several other channels that have lots Fútbol (soccer) coverage like Azteca America, Telemundo, Canal Uno, TV Espsñola Internacional, TV Colombia, TV Chile, TV Dominicana, Gol TV (con audio en Español) (for those with AT60 or 120 this would be an "extra" channel), Fox Sports en Español, and Canal Sur

See ya
Tony

Actually, ESPN Deportes does not show much soccer. They tend to show basketball, american football, baseball, racing, etc, but in Spanish. (I have the channel).

The real soccer channels are Fox Soccer Channel, Gol TV, Fox Sports World Espanol (mostly different soccer programming that fox soccer channel) and Setanta Sports which is not part of Dish.

TNGTony said:
As a reminder, you can have ESPN Deportes a la carte for $12.49 a month. You will also get another 20 or so channels free with that. :)

The Dish Latino BONUS pack is $12.49 a month for America's Top ## subscribers. This package includes ESPN Deportes along with several other channels that have lots Fútbol (soccer) coverage like Azteca America, Telemundo, Canal Uno, TV Espsñola Internacional, TV Colombia, TV Chile, TV Dominicana, Gol TV (con audio en Español) (for those with AT60 or 120 this would be an "extra" channel), Fox Sports en Español, and Canal Sur

See ya
Tony
I did NOT know this!!! I logged into my E* account and sure enough it's there as an add programming option under "Latino". It doesn't say what channels are included. Is it the same as "DishLatino" Basic package or it's own deal? I think I'm willing to pony up the $ for the channels.

As a side not, since there isn't an English audio feed on FSW en Espanol ESPN Deportes etc. I'm sure the sports channels aren't cheap, so we aren't getting them on AT180. But you do get Univision, Telefutura, etc. which are Spanish only feeds too. I love "Futbol de liga Mexicana"!

Dish Latino Bunus Pack is exaxtly the same as Dish Latino except it does not include Playboy in Spanish. The catch is that you must have an AT package some of which include Univision, Galavision, Telefutuda, Toon Disney, HITN, Gol TV and SiTV already.

The channels included in the bonus pack for $12.49 are:

825 Azteca America
835 Telemundo (este)
836 Telemundo (oeste)
839 Canal Uno
840 TV Espsñola Internacional
841 TV Colombia
842 TV Chile
844 TV Dominicana
845 Discovery en Español
853 Gol TV (con audio en Español (Available with AT180 in English when available on channel 407)
854 ESPN Deportes
855 Fox Sports en Español
857 Canal Sur
859 CNN en Español
862 De Película
863 De Película Clásico
865 Cine Latino
868 Telehit
870 HTV
872 MTV en Español

Music Only channels not available in any "America's Top" package.

819 Viva Mariachi (Mono)
822 Miami Mix (Mono)
823 Tejano (Mono)
824 Latino Pop (Mono)

820 Fiesta Mexicana (Stereo Audio Only) - Also Available with AT120 on a different channel number
821 Latin Styles (Stereo Audio Only) - Also Available with AT120 on a different channel number
827 Univisión (este) - Also Available with AT120
828 Univision (oeste) - Also Available with AT120
830 Telefutura (este) (Eastern and Central Time Zones Only) - Also Available with AT120
831 Telefutura (oeste) (Mountain, Pacific, Alaska & Hawaii Time Zones Only) - Also Available with AT120
833 Galavisión - Also Available with AT120
838 Mun² (Mundos) -Also Available with AT180
847 Toon Disney? (Conflicting reports on this channel's availability with this package)
- Also Available with AT120

The following channels are already available with AT60 but a second channel position is added with the same content

843 HITN - Available on AT60 on channel 9401
884 China Central TV (Español/Français)

See ya
Tony

So because I'm not a spanish speaking football fan I'm expected to pony up $12.49 a month for spanish programming package just to watch an ESPN channel and think that's a bargain? That's crazy!

Dish needs to realize there are alot of non-spanish speaking football fans that want this channel included in the Top 180. This is the only other channel besides ESPN2 that carries Champions League football. Imagine only one of the two NFL semi-final playoff games was on TV, that's what it's like only having ESPN2 carrying Champions League games. The biggest game last week - Barcelona vs Milan - was not on ESPN2 but it was on ESPN Deportes so I didn't get to watch. The biggest tournament in european football and I can't watch games like these.

The message Dish is giving customers is - if your not Spanish and you love football, you don't matter. Nice one Dish :mad:

Mr_Crowley said:
So because I'm not a spanish speaking football fan I'm expected to pony up $12.49 a month for spanish programming package just to watch an ESPN channel and think that's a bargain? That's crazy!

Dish needs to realize there are alot of non-spanish speaking football fans that want this channel included in the Top 180. This is the only other channel besides ESPN2 that carries Champions League football. Imagine only one of the two NFL semi-final playoff games was on TV, that's what it's like only having ESPN2 carrying Champions League games. The biggest game last week - Barcelona vs Milan - was not on ESPN2 but it was on ESPN Deportes so I didn't get to watch. The biggest tournament in european football and I can't watch games like these.

The message Dish is giving customers is - if your not Spanish and you love football, you don't matter. Nice one Dish :mad:

YEP!!!!!!

No.

$12.50 for an ESPN channel that should be part of the Top 180 is ridiculous. Jeez, will Dish ever learn?

Mr_Crowley said:
No.

$12.50 for an ESPN channel that should be part of the Top 180 is ridiculous. Jeez, will Dish ever learn?

please, like we need another ESPN channel to sip over while we flip channels!

I just found out that AT180 will carry ESPN Deportes! Starting next week in MAY! The AT180 price will be increased by $12.49 and quite a few extra channels added to the package as well! It will be called the AT180 Latino Bonus Pack! This way every single AT180 pack subscriber can enjoy the one channel that Mr. Crowley wants in his AT180 pack! Isn't that great?

See ya
Tony

Mr_Crowley said:

Dude, get Dish Latino Max. This is the Dish Latino BI-LINGUAL package that resembles AT180, but also gives you the following soccer channels that aren't on AT180:

- ESPN Deportes
- Fox Sports en Espanol
- GolTV (en Espanol)

It also gives you the standard English channels that appear on most pay-TV packages:

- CNN, Headline News,
- A&E, Lifetime, TBS, TNT, Sci-Fi, WGN
- ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News,
- The Movie Classic, TMC (West),
- and all the Fox Sports Regional channels, as well as Fox Soccer Channel,
and a lot more English channels

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/..._max/index.asp?viewby=1&packid=10101&sortby=1

So in short, these are the soccer channels you get on Dish Latino Max:

- FSC, Fox Sports en espanol, ESPN Deportes, and GolTV.

So tell us, which AT180 channel in English that you watch regularly that aren't on Dish Latino Max? And better yet, Dish Latino Max is even cheaper than the AT180.

No self respecting non-Spanish speaking soccer fan would stick with AT180 instead of switching to Dish Latino Max...

Setanta Sports is nice, but if your cup of tea is Champions League, Setanta Sports can't beat ESPN Deportes. Trust me, I am probably the only person in North America who regularly watch 13-14 Champions League games on every match day. So even if you have ESPN Deportes or ESPN Latin America, I still get 5-6 games more than you do...

Last edited:
"The message Dish is giving customers is - if your not Spanish and you love football, you don't matter. "

The message is: ESPN Deportes is a spanish channel therefore it belongs in the Dish Latino Package. If you don't want to pay for it then though luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)