Lots of Dish Information!

navychop said:
How bizarre that they still don't know if they will move the DC locals off 61.5. I suspect it's just the CSRs that don't know.

Are you really in the DC DMA? Or did they just give you the option since you're in the footprint?

I wasn't given any options. They say I am in the Washington DC/Hagerstown, MD DMA.

I have no complaints, I have lived in VA and work in Falls Church, so it's good to get the locals from there if for nothing else, the weather. :)

navychop said:
The info in post one did not address one possibility for the DC area:

- If an existing customer has a DISH 500, and now wants to subscribe to HD, but is not interested in subscribing to any locals or the international channels or the PIs on 61.5.

Per Iceberg, it would seem that 129 reception is poor in the DC area, so would that mean in the above situation they would still install a second dish, pointed at 61.5? Or stick with the Dish1000, which seems to be what they would put up for a new subscriber who did not want locals?

My install is Tuesday, and I'm trying to prepare for whichever approach they take.
So much for the big 1 inch snowstorm they predicted for the area. I hope your goes well...interested in finding out what they do.

Me too. I did not get a call yesterday confirming, but the automated Dish system says I'm still scheduled for noon-5. Gotta move some stuff out of the way first, and go do a couple quick home sale inspections before he arrives.

IIRC, Rainbow 1, er ecto-, er, E-12, has fixed spot beams and would be of limited use elsewhere. It's in better shape than the other 61.5, maybe that one moves or dies. Any chance of getting more frequencies at that location? As spot beams, just a few freqs would go a long way.

Animal- glad I don't have your commute.

Iceberg said:
it is designed for people who dont have an AT package. When I had just locals, I did get a couple PI's (the ones on the wings) and Free Speech TV). I didnt get any other PI's (and at the time it was the PI's in the 9400)

So lets say I still had Dish. I could call in and add this "package" and get those added for no charge.

I don't know if you noticed this, (since I think you got rid of your E* service before this happened) but when E* came out with their Family Pak, FSTV & the PI's on the wings "disappeared" for us folks who did NOT have an AT/DL pkg. This was a bummer for me, as there were a couple shows I liked on FSTV - it was even more irritating considering that E* jacked up the price of the "no AT/DL pkg" acccess fee by $1. :( :(
But, I guess now that problem is solved now - guess I'll be making a phone call next... :D :D

Public Interest Package not available as of 3/21

I just tried to order it through 3 CSRs and TechSupport people.

-edit 1- A tech support rep asked for all the channel numbers (thanks scott for the list), she found the pkg but it only had one channel

-edit 2- She finally found it after 30 minutes. They turned it on for me.

WLong said:
Long time no post...

Anyhow, if I am in the Seattle market, which oribital locations will I need to see in order to pickup all the HD content and HD locals after upgrading to the new MPEG4 equipment?

Bill

Check here:

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/148list.htm

All the other sats (besides 148) are also detailed.

The simple answer should be the dish 1000 (129/110/119).

Generally you need 129 and 110 for HD which in theory you get (along with 119) with the dish 1000. But the signal for 129 in the NW is weak and seems to fluctuate down about 20 points every 20-30 minutes and that is just about enough to cause signal breakup. I have been getting somewhat better results using two 500's. I've seen posts saying 110 will be used for the locals but have seen nothing from Dish to confirm if they will be there or 129. 148 has some HD too but it isn't essential, duplicate HBO/HD SHO/HD with somewhat higher bitrate than off the 110. Also CBS/HD if you can get the waiver. 61.5 and 129 mirror each other but 61.5 is better for the east coast.

In short, the big question is where will the HD locals be? My guess (and hope) is the 110. But until Dish says for sure, it's a guess (unless someone else has more info) between 110 and 129. The last time I got a dish technical csr to speculate he even brought up 148 (which makes no sense to me).

Last edited:
dishrich said:
I don't know if you noticed this, (since I think you got rid of your E* service before this happened) but when E* came out with their Family Pak, FSTV & the PI's on the wings "disappeared" for us folks who did NOT have an AT/DL pkg. This was a bummer for me, as there were a couple shows I liked on FSTV - it was even more irritating considering that E* jacked up the price of the "no AT/DL pkg" acccess fee by $1. :( :(
But, I guess now that problem is solved now - guess I'll be making a phone call next... :D :D

I had cancelled right after 2/1 when the family pack came out. I had lost those knockoff shopping channels before that because I didnt have AT60

So now its $6 for no AT package?? What a jip

stone phillips420 said:
so i now pay 7.99 for outdoor channel due to 5.00 access bs fee

So, am I correct that the ONLY reason why you still have E* is just for Outdoor Channel? (I'm reading this from you signature) If so, you are aware that D* will ALSO sell you Outdoor Channel a la carte f/$2 as well. As with things like this, you may have to play CSR roulette @D*, but per their agreement w/OC, they have to give it to you like that if you ask for it. ;) ;)

yes the only reason i have dish is to complain
the above affords me to have dish for the least amount of money possible
I am not a hunter nor do i like hunting
Dish needs to learn how to treat there customers right!
dish played with fire, and they will get burned

Last edited:
Well, it looks like I got stiffed.

It's after 5 here, my install slot was noon to 5. I took the entire day off work for this, and we are very busy there right now. Tomorrow will be a killer, trying to catch up for the close of business deadlines.

I called Dish after 5. Got the India call center. After some difficulty getting her to understand that it was after the promised time slot (she kept saying "it's 3 o'clock there" - finally I said "seventeen oh three" instead of "five oh three p.m."), she read the script. "May have been delayed at another customer's or caught in traffic." I said I wasn't trying to give her a hard time, but I knew the possible excuses. What I really needed to know was whether or not an installer was actually dispatched or not- and would he really install after dark? She put me on hold and called technical and left a message. They are to call me back. If I don't hear from them in a few minutes, I'll call technical myself.

I spent the weekend adding attic stairs, lights, outlet and floor boards- and an additional coax run- for this. Just to make it go smoothly and quickly.

Arrrrgh!

I called Dish tech just before 6. They could not get thru to anyone to find out what happened. Suggested I call tomorrow for a resked. Of course, the actual conversation took longer. Just as I got off the cell, the landline rang. Installer was outside, saying no one was answering his knock. Didn't hear him, upstairs at back working on computer & talking to Dish.

He got here @ 6:10. Nice guy, from Sudan. He's putting up a dish1000 with 2 cascaded DP34s to feed the 5 coax lines. I already ran the last coax, he just needs to drill a hole and I will poke the coax out to him. Should go fairly easily after that. He says the 301 does not need to be connected to the satellite to deactivate. We'll just unplug it and rotate the 508 & 721 & install the ViP622.

I hope the dish1000 catches a good enough signal from 129. If not, I hope Dish will do the right thing and put up a 61.5, which will have a clear shot from here.

I'll post again after all is done.

Saga continues.

Cannot get reception off 129 (trees?). He will mount my Dish500 next to the Dish1000 he just put up, and aim the 500 at 61.5. Running check switches on 3 DVRs takes some TIME. Working in the dark. A real trooper.

Well, to finish off my multiple posts- tis done.

The installer was here for 3 hours and 35 minutes. And he did not have to run ANY coax. The 61.5 dish is perhaps not as noticeable as my wife feared.

My 110 signal is down to around 80 now, though. But the pic is fine. When it gets above freezing, I'll go up there and caulk the hole the 5th coax came thru.

Excuse me, but I've got some HDTV to watch. Some 75 crazies on Discovery HD are rolling around in snow at -13F in their bathing suits. And even the demo aquarium looks great. Mein Gott, it's a new TV!

navychop said:

The installer was here for 3 hours and 35 minutes. And he did not have to run ANY coax. The 61.5 dish is perhaps not as noticeable as my wife feared.

My 110 signal is down to around 80 now, though. But the pic is fine. When it gets above freezing, I'll go up there and caulk the hole the 5th coax came thru.

Excuse me, but I've got some HDTV to watch. Some 75 crazies on Discovery HD are rolling around in snow at -13F in their bathing suits. And even the demo aquarium looks great. Mein Gott, it's a new TV!

:( Wish I would have had the installer put up the 61.5 when he was here putting up the D* 1000 for the 129 bird. I want my HDTV (locals)!!! :mad:

navychop said:

...talk about your late night installations! Anyway, glad to hear your tech got it up and running...hopefully, you can adjust your Dish 1000 and bump your 110/119 signal levels up a few points or else you're gonna have some rain fade issues.

Just out of curiosity, how are your 61.5 signal levels and what is your impression of the HD LIL? Enjoy the HD!

Last edited:
philhu said:
I just tried to order it through 3 CSRs and TechSupport people.

-edit 1- A tech support rep asked for all the channel numbers (thanks scott for the list), she found the pkg but it only had one channel

-edit 2- She finally found it after 30 minutes. They turned it on for me.

Well of course, I figured from the start this would NOT be something easy to get out of E*, especially since it's FREE... :rolleyes: :eek:

The first CSR I talked to was in India (of course :rolleyes: ) & kept insisting that I needed AT60 to get these channels - I then just hung up & went right to tech support & after a few minutes, he finally found the package & turned it on.
All along, I was scared that somehow I might loose some or all of my distant nets/PBS, but they are all still there. :) :)

I think thats "E* 1000."

Didn't get much done after he left. I did run check switches on all 3 units (ViP622, 721 & 508), all three see all three satellites (119, 110, 61.5). But the 508 & 721 do not show a signal strength on the 61.5 bird. Odd, it's not all HD. I doubt that it's all 8PSK either. Maybe I just needed to give it more time. Tonight I'll spend some time on it. If I can rip my eyes off the Discovery HD.

I expect after I run multiple signal strength tests, I'll be up there to tap the Dish1000 to up the numbers. Rain fade has never been much of a problem before, but now that the numbers have dropped.... Anyway, getting up on that roof is non-trivial, but I'll need to get up there to caulk anyway, might as well kill two birds with one stone.

I did not subscribe to HD LiLs since I have an OTA antenna up there and an ATSC/NTSC tuner in the HDTV, and a couple of other ATSC STBs, and the HDTV Wonder for my main PC. But I ran a cable to the ViP622 anyway, thinking I could set a time period to record OTA HD onto the DVR. I did a quickie scan to see what stations it could pull in, but it found zero (but it found them quickly:p ). So I need to check my connections, see if I did it right (RTFM), and try again. If that doesn't work, I'll call E* to see why there's no reception- I have HD Gold which is certainly qualifying. Or do I misunderstand and it won't pick up OTA unless I pay for LiLs? I understand that I won't get guide data without paying, but I thought with the Gold pack I would receive and be able to record OTA.

The Dish1000 is up there with an empty spot for the 129 LNB, looks kinda odd but I assume no harm done there. I can post my findings here, but I wonder if I should post it in a more appropriate thread, we've kinda wandered a bit off topic here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)