Lots of "Event Stopped by STB reboot"

JCarais

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2009
Earth
Over the past couple of days six different recordings have been ruined by this problem on our 722K's. When you look for a recording in the My Recordings list, you see that it's been broken into two pieces and there is a 5 to 10 minute gap between the recordings where the receiver reset itself. Then when you go into the timer history to see what happened, you see the message "Event stopped by STB reboot." We experienced this maybe once or twice over the past year so it was a very, very rare problem, but now with their new software it's happening constantly. And it's occurring on two different 722K's so we know it's not a problem with the hardware in one particular receiver, but must be a problem with the new software.

We called Dish to complain about this as well as about the remote not responding after stopping a recording issue that I posted about in another thread, but the customer service person was clueless.

Is there any way to alert the people at Dish who write the software about these problems? Don't they beta test this software before releasing it to millions of customers? I just don't understand, we've used DVR's from other satellite/cable providers and no other company released software updates that take two steps back the way Dish does. Dish software people, please beta test!

There is definately a "reboot bug" alive and well inside Dish Network. I had it with four 722's and now have it with a 722k over the last nine months. They are sending out a 722k replacement.

The last one had the following symptoms: 1. Picture freezes, 2. remote is totally unresponsive, 3. after 3-5 minutes the system reboots and all is normal until the next time. Today I had one auto-reboot, yesterday four and about six more during the preceding week. If a recording is in progress I get the message noted by the OP.

Do you by chance have an OTA module and antenna hooked up?

Yes on the 722K; with the 722 it was integrated and in-use.

Now that we have HD locals I may uninstall it since I have heard rumors (KKlare, I believe) that a brief interruption in the local signal will cause reboots. I have deselected all but one local HD channel (BUF football game this afternoon... after which I will deselect that one too). I will watch carefully until the replacement receiver arrives and report my findings back to this link.

There is definately a "reboot bug" alive and well inside Dish Network. I had it with four 722's and now have it with a 722k over the last nine months. They are sending out a 722k replacement.

The last one had the following symptoms: 1. Picture freezes, 2. remote is totally unresponsive, 3. after 3-5 minutes the system reboots and all is normal until the next time. Today I had one auto-reboot, yesterday four and about six more during the preceding week. If a recording is in progress I get the message noted by the OP.

I have this exact same problem with my 722 since the update. This is rediculous!!

I'm on my third 722k and it's rebooted at least twice in the 2-3 weeks I've had it. The first two rebooted randomly too. No, I don't have the OTA module. Weird part is I haven't had any problems since the update I hate but it was only last night.

I'm on my third 722k and it's rebooted at least twice in the 2-3 weeks I've had it. The first two rebooted randomly too. No, I don't have the OTA module. Weird part is I haven't had any problems since the update I hate but it was only last night.

I'm sure its the updated software and not the hardware so it probably would not matter if you had 10 boxes. As soon as your new box downloads the new software, your screwed!
DN needs to get their you know what in order and get the fix sent out ASAP!!!!

The reboots were before the new software which was only two nights ago like I already stated. The reboots were shortly after the receiver was hooked up around 3 weeks ago.

I've had no problems since the update but unlike everyone else I hate the update. The only thing I ever used online for was the free stuff and there's no longer a way to sort out just the free stuff.

Four full days without a reboot after deselecting the OTA HD stations. I think we may have a cause/effect established... a least one point on the curve. Has anyone else tried this? Results?

Five full days without a reboot after deselecting HD locals. I think we may have a relationship witht the reboots.

I now have the replacement receiver installed so the clock starts over.

You have a marginal/multipath signal on one of your locals. Add them back one at a time until the freezes start back, then delete that channel.

I've traveled this road. That was my solution.

That's still no excuse for Dish. Just because a tuner can't lock a signal, that's no reason to crash the host system!

The only thing more ridiculous than the OTA tuner affecting the system operation at all is the fact that it's been known basically forever and they've never fixed it. I mean, before this latest round of rebooting started being reported, it was well-known that the receivers would complain about lost signal on the OTA tuner even if you were only trying to watch or record satellite channels!

All you guys that go to Team Summit, why have you never grilled Charlie on this?

Do you by chance have an OTA module and antenna hooked up?

I don't believe there's any correlation between the reboots and the OTA module/antenna. We have OTA modules in both of our 722K's that are being fed from the same antenna with a splitter and the reboots don't happen to both receivers at the same time. Also, I can fake losing OTA signal at will by unplugging the antenna coax or by standing in front of the antenna. Neither of these things ever causes a reboot, just the yellow #739 error pop up that says signal's been lost. There's really no rhyme or reason to it. Some days it doesn't do it, some days it does it several times. I suspect it's a memory leak or something in their software code that causes the crash.

This is probably what's happening to us. The thing is though, we're never home to see these steps play out. It always happens when no one is home or no one is at the TV, and it's only discovered when someone goes into the DVR recordings and sees that their recording has been broken into sections.

I don't believe there's any correlation between the reboots and the OTA module/antenna. We have OTA modules in both of our 722K's that are being fed from the same antenna with a splitter and the reboots don't happen to both receivers at the same time. Also, I can fake losing OTA signal at will by unplugging the antenna coax or by standing in front of the antenna. Neither of these things ever causes a reboot, just the yellow #739 error pop up that says signal's been lost. There's really no rhyme or reason to it. Some days it doesn't do it, some days it does it several times. I suspect it's a memory leak or something in their software code that causes the crash.

This is probably what's happening to us. The thing is though, we're never home to see these steps play out. It always happens when no one is home or no one is at the TV, and it's only discovered when someone goes into the DVR recordings and sees that their recording has been broken into sections.

You can't fake multipath and that is what does it. Also, you may not have had that OTA last tuned on the other receiver. I know this bug.

Well, I'm bumping this topic, as the mods here seem to prefer necrobumps over just creating a new topic.

Anyway, lately, both of my 722k's have had this "Event stopped by STB reboot" upon a new recording starting up. Both have only done it once so far luckily, but on one it also froze while backing out of DISH Cinema once. I am getting slightly concerned as to whether this is a hardware or a software issue. I am assuming it is software as both of them are doing it and surely they're not both dying at once. I do not have OTA modules on either of the receivers. Both are on L680.

Also, I tried asking everyone about their temps, but the mods merged my topic into a 98-page ancient topic, so I assume nobody cared to sift through that stuff.

I think my 722k's are running a little hot, but not sure, anyone have any opinions on these temps?

Code:
1.) Model:          [B]ViP722k[/B]
     HDD High Temp: [B]140F[/B]
     HDD Low Temp:  [B]113F[/B]
     HDD Avg. Temp: [B]120F[/B]
     Ventilation:   [B]Have other devices sitting on top. Otherwise, good ventilation, 
                    all sides are clear,  not in a cabinet.[/B]
     Fan Noise Lvl: [B]Virtually Silent[/B]
     Ambient Temp:  [B]71-75F[/B]

2.) Model:          [B]ViP722k[/B]
     HDD High Temp: [B]140F[/B]
     HDD Low Temp:  [B]78F[/B]
     HDD Avg. Temp: [B]125F[/B]
     Ventilation:   [B]All sides are clear. Not in a cabinet.[/B]
     Fan Noise Lvl: [B]Usually has two modes. Mostly stays on very low, no louder than a 
                    pin drop. Other mode is very slightly louder.[/B]
     Ambient Temp:  [B]68-72F[/B]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts