Lots of News from Team Summit

I just cannot see paying 10 dollars more per month to upgrade from silver to gold for just one more HD channel

Sean Mota said:
Scott,

Excellent job as usual. Now can you ask them about Food HD, MHD, and other future HD channels.

I just left the SCRIPPS booth a few minutes ago, I believe he said it launches on June 30th however they are still in Negoations with Dish. This surprised me as Charlie on a past Charlie Chat announced it as it was a done deal

I also met with MTV last night and same thing.

I also just met with the Outdoor Channel and they too really want their HD channel on Dish however Dish has not shown much interest in it. They told me that the Outdoor Channel 2 HD has more origional HD content then almost all of the other Dish Network HD channels. I myself would like to see this one on Dish.

Lucky said:
Just be a little careful, remember STO is partly owned by Time Warner.

yeah but also they do want to get STO out there, and I dont see time warner as not playing nicely here, especially since the indians operate this channel, and time warner just carry's it, I dont remember time warner having a partial stake in this.

waltinvt said:
Scott, I know you're busy but if you could find out anything about the Vermont HD LiLs, there's a few of us that would really appreciate it. The Burlington DMA was listed in the original 50 but we've heard nothing since.
I asked and they had no time line, I also asked about WMUR and was told that they are ready to flip the switch however something in legal is keeping them from doing it.

Also Signigifantly viewed channels will start being available around the September timeframe.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I just left the SCRIPPS booth a few minutes ago, I believe he said it launches on June 30th however they are still in Negoations with Dish. This surprised me as Charlie on a past Charlie Chat announced it as it was a done deal

I also met with MTV last night and same thing.

I also just met with the Outdoor Channel and they too really want their HD channel on Dish however Dish has not shown much interest in it. They told me that the Outdoor Channel 2 HD has more origional HD content then almost all of the other Dish Network HD channels. I myself would like to see this one on Dish.

I would def. want to see the outdoor channel, and with dish making and adding all these HD channels and what not, I feel comfortable giving them 99 a month for the platinum (or save up 30 extra a month for what 6 months and get a hd dvr, then go platinum!)

Tom Bombadil said:
They might not let you stream/view a program from the external drive. If it is truly an "archive" drive, then you will need to move it back to the internal DVR drive in order to view it.

A bit inconvenient, but I could live with this.

You can view the program directly from the external hard drive no need to move it back. Also you CAN move programs back and forth from the external drive to the DVR.

This is going to be a nice feature.

JH1949 said:
Scott:

Can you take a piture of the 612 and post it ?

TIA
They only showed the 612 on the video screen since cameras were not allowed in the conference I was unable to get a picture of it.

It is also not shown in their 2006 HD Receiver Portfolio.

rdinkel said:
Scott, Can you please confirm with Echostar contacts that CBS-HD is not at risk due to court ruling?
This is correct it is at no risk, thats not considered a distant network.

BTW I am hearing that NBC HD Logo we saw today on the demo was no mistake and it will be available to those in O&O areas just like CBS is. :)

No word on when its coming though.

I think they just picked the logo. If you go on the dish hd local page you see they updated all the logos.

But still it makes since that they make corporate Distant network agreements with cbs, nbc, and fox to avoid the legal trouble they are heading toward concerning distants

BFG said:
I think they just picked the logo. If you go on the dish hd local page you see they updated all the logos.

But still it makes since that they make corporate Distant network agreements with cbs, nbc, and fox to avoid the legal trouble they are heading toward concerning distants

I was thinking that too. Funny thing though - just before Marc Lumpkin left, he told me Dish was "very" close putting up ABC DNS and that NBC & Fox were in negoitations. So I guess it surprises me that NBC would be first. but anyway, I do agree it makes sense for Dish to "sharpen" their pencil for HD DNS deals in light of this court ruling.

mike123abc said:
I would prefer the opposit of what they seem to be proposing with auto resolution... I would like to have the 622 pass through the channels native resolution and let the set handle the conversion as an option.

Yes, I think I assumed too much at first. I interpreted "native resolution" to be the native resoluton of the channel, not the TV. ESPN is 1280x720p, HDNET is 1920x1080i.

The only option that I would want would be one that allowed pass-through, i.e. the receiver does nothing to it, passing through the native or original resolution of the channel to the TV for conversion (if needed).

If the Dish receiver is querying the HDMI port for information from the TV, then it may be "auto resolution" wherein the receiver could be set to automatically set its output resolution to match the TV. I consider this feature to be worth just a little bit more than nothing. I guess it would be helpful for those who have no idea of what their TV is.

Scott Greczkowski said:
No pricing yet, and it looks like they may not be available for another month or two.

That include the 1000.2? I was hoping for one of those when I get mine installed next weekend.

Wow, Scott. Lots of great stuff here.... Thanks.

USB External Drives: While I believe USB can handle 1 stream fine, it's certainly not going to be able to pull 5 (3 tuners + 2 outputs). That's why we'll never see real-time recording to the external drive.

This way the drive only has to support 1 stream.

SD mpeg4 and pocketdish:
This could really be a big deal. I don't think the pocketdish can decode h264. Seems like this will break the hi-speed download to the pocketdish (similar to the reason you can't download Hi-Def).

I really don't think they can get all the sd boxes swapped out in 3 years.

The NBC HD Network info came directly from someone from NBC / Universal.

I don't think the dish 1000.2 will be out by next weekend.

BTW Greetings from COORS Field where I am sitting exactly 1 mile in the air, We got seats on the purple one mile marker seats in section 316.

Video Streaming:
The ISPs are gonna go nuts over the bandwidth usage. Comcast is already hasseling heavy usenet downloaders (in some areas top 10% users are getting threatening letters).

Cable may not be able to handle the load (plus they might not WANT to). FIOS probably can.

I forsee tiers of service so they can get a piece of this video streaming pie.

Last edited:

Great Site But Now Really Confused

Have a 942, picture flickers now....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)