Lots of RV/Boat Customers are going to be UPSET

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have to agree with him though that satellite insurance is probably not very useful for companies like Dish and Directv, because if they lose a satellite with spot beams they'd have to build a new one from scratch. Now maybe a satellite can be built/launched in a year if you are willing to spend twice as much as it would normally cost, but even if that were true you'd still lose a lot of customers who would switch service to get their locals.

Here are a few they can start with since they have the capacity Channels
I've got those channels off the master feeds at times the past few years. they are not that eye stopping. they are Low bit rate, with 4 channels or so per frequency. but as I know those are the only ones in the skies.
IMO 4k will not get off much. 8k is more likely to be the next "thing". that will move All markets.

we have much bigger problems than that to worry about. A hit that big could means months before power is restored in much of the country - the kind of gear that would need to be replaced isn't exactly off the shelf, and production capacity is limited.
Could be Years......... if ever

I've got those channels off the master feeds at times the past few years. they are not that eye stopping. they are Low bit rate, with 4 channels or so per frequency. but as I know those are the only ones in the skies.
IMO 4k will not get off much. 8k is more likely to be the next "thing". that will move All markets.

8K will never happen. We will have 8K TVs, but no one is going to broadcast 8K video. You'd need a truly monster size TV to even see the difference between 4K and 8K.

It isn't even clear we'll ever see 4K broadcasts, if we don't see them we sure as hell won't see 8K!

That's why they don't pay for in orbit insurance on their satellites. It's a very valid business decision because statistically it's a huge waste of money provided you have some backup. Also whatever check the insurance company might cut you will not speed up the construction and launch of a satellite so it's almost worthless to insure in-orbit in many cases, certainly not after few years as the satellite ages: premiums go up and insurance payout decreases, and in most cases, satellites that are likely to suffer a catastrophic failure begin exhibiting problems from almost day one. The infamous example of Echostar IV is a really good example considering the many problems that satellite exhibited from day one, dish was still able to get a fair amount of use out of it with careful management. You do in-orbit insurance if if you don't already have the money or means to get the money to replace that satellite. Dish, DirecTV etc. have plenty of money to immediately contract for construction of a new satellite and its subsequent launch and it won't bankrupt either company if they don't have insurance to pay for it. also it's a pretty long process before the insurance companies decide to pay.

The problem is not the money, the problem is having sufficient spare sats in orbit in case of a catastrophic failure because if customers can't get their TV for the next 3 to 4 years, that company is out of business, and the creditors/banks get the insurance payout check. Both dish and direct have sufficient spare for the most likely statistical catastrophic failure. What's really scary is if we get a really powerful solar flare that can kick out all of those satellites then both dish and direct are in a bit of a pickle.

Dish CAN’T get insurance.

I don’t have the exact numbers, but the question is how much is in orbit insurance, vs how much they (dish or Directv) would get in the case of a satellite failure vs how much hassle will the insurance give if the satellite is let’s say 50% operational.

It’s like UPS. I don’t insure my packages for more than the $50 that is included.

If you pack it right there is almost zero chance you will have an item arrive broken.

8K will never happen. We will have 8K TVs, but no one is going to broadcast 8K video. You'd need a truly monster size TV to even see the difference between 4K and 8K.

It isn't even clear we'll ever see 4K broadcasts, if we don't see them we sure as hell won't see 8K!
I don't think anyone can tell 4k from 8k. There are limits to the human eye.

I don't think anyone can tell 4k from 8k. There are limits to the human eye.
True ...

To me what's always been much more noticeable are things like degree of compression and its artifacts, picture contrast, truer black levels, ect. Not so much spatial resolution which I never felt was "comparatively speaking," that highly a critical factor for video.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Reactions: navychop

We both speculate. both of us could be wrong or one of us could be right. time will tell. it took Soo long for 2k to come to us it's very hard to tell. read about 2k in 1985 or 86 took me 20 years to get it... lol

Directv or Dish could care less about those customers.

They usually upgrade on their own and pay full price for the equipment.
It's not the upgrade, they won't be able to see DirecTV anymore, the owner of these account don't tell their customers what's going on, I told 3 person that week, one yesterday, it was news to them, that's why I stated in one of my post, the MPEG4 HD transition will eliminate account stacking etc.

It's not the upgrade, they won't be able to see DirecTV anymore, the owner of these account don't tell their customers what's going on, I told 3 person that week, one yesterday, it was news to them, that's why I stated in one of my post, the MPEG4 HD transition will eliminate account stacking etc.

For ones located in the US, it wouldn't stop stacking at all - they'll just need to upgrade their dish & receivers on their own if they are SD only. For ones located outside the US, Directv will lose money since the account owner will stop paying when his sub-subscribers stop paying him.

Directv probably doesn't care about offshore/Canadian customers picking up their signal. It is against Directv TOS because it has to be, Directv would be in violation of the law and more importantly their contracts with all the networks if they were seen as facilitating this. However, given that Directv says in its TOS it is illegal, and they don't let their resellers sell equipment to non-US addresses, they are doing all they are required to do. Beyond that, people who jump through the hoops Directv set up to try to stop them like the reseller ban are making Directv a little extra money, so they don't have any reason to try to stop them beyond that.

For ones located in the US, it wouldn't stop stacking at all - they'll just need to upgrade their dish & receivers on their own if they are SD only. For ones located outside the US, Directv will lose money since the account owner will stop paying when his sub-subscribers stop paying him.

Directv probably doesn't care about offshore/Canadian customers picking up their signal. It is against Directv TOS because it has to be, Directv would be in violation of the law and more importantly their contracts with all the networks if they were seen as facilitating this. However, given that Directv says in its TOS it is illegal, and they don't let their resellers sell equipment to non-US addresses, they are doing all they are required to do. Beyond that, people who jump through the hoops Directv set up to try to stop them like the reseller ban are making Directv a little extra money, so they don't have any reason to try to stop them beyond that.
I know it's against the TOS, and they are doing everything to stop it, it's also a case where they have customers not returning leased equipment, which are outside of the US

I know it's against the TOS, and they are doing everything to stop it, it's also a case where they have customers not returning leased equipment, which are outside of the US

They likely are not asking for SD stuff to be returned anyways so it’s really not a big issue.

Here is a good example, back in 1996 Dish gave away a BMW to the dealer who sold the most systems.

The guy was from Detroit and myself and Everyone at Dish knew this guy was shipping equipment to Canada.

The providers don’t care about grey market subscribers. Dish didn’t care. They where a new company and needed the subscribers.

They only care about grey market when they are made aware of it, and have an obligation at that point to shut down the account.

They also care about account stacking, but only because they could have 2 or more subscribers for the price of 1.

How do you figure?

Do the KA signals not reach off shore?

Also, did anyone ever consider that most MPEG4 HD will likely go to 101?

How do you figure?

Do the KA signals not reach off shore?

Also, did anyone ever consider that most MPEG4 HD will likely go to 101?
KA already reach years ago, require a 10-12ft dish, even if they put them on 101, the software for the receiver to download and boot up was place on a transponder, not accessible by a small dish, we can only pick up a few channels on SD receivers, a lot of people stop using DirecTV years ago, a 10-12ft here cost over US$3000. 00

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)