lov watching HD...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I played with my setup last night for the 1st time since the HD upgrade last year. I have the HR22 box. I didn't see much of a time-delay difference with Native on or off and with 1080i only selected. But maybe it all has to do with what type of display one has and how fast it talks to/from the DTV box. I have a Panny 50: Plasma "Viera" model.

What I did see, after changing the settings as some have here, is that (it appears to me) there's a "trade-off" if one gains channel-response time. Without Native on, and selecting only 1080i for your display, when you tune to a non-HD channel, ie, TCM, the Native function won't auto-select the 4:3 mode on your display so the movie/show on TCM will be left in "full" 16/9 mode and will be stretced. Since I"m one of those "view contenct in their OAR" guys", I'll probably stay with the Native/on mode for now.

If he uses HDMI the tv will tell the reciver which modes are supported.
Yes, but isn't wise to make such assumptions; especially when it comes to those with the kinds of displays (I'm thinking especially older projectors) that might be damaged.

Several have reported that at one time or another, DIRECTV representatives have recommended using component connections over HDMI connections.

I played with my setup last night for the 1st time since the HD upgrade last year. I have the HR22 box. I didn't see much of a time-delay difference with Native on or off and with 1080i only selected. But maybe it all has to do with what type of display one has and how fast it talks to/from the DTV box. I have a Panny 50: Plasma "Viera" model.

What I did see, after changing the settings as some have here, is that (it appears to me) there's a "trade-off" if one gains channel-response time. Without Native on, and selecting only 1080i for your display, when you tune to a non-HD channel, ie, TCM, the Native function won't auto-select the 4:3 mode on your display so the movie/show on TCM will be left in "full" 16/9 mode and will be stretced. Since I"m one of those "view contenct in their OAR" guys", I'll probably stay with the Native/on mode for now.
Set your display to "Pillar Box" on your receiver and it will always maintain the proper aspect ratio.

In any event, the point was made that it could (and arguably should) be considerably faster than it is.

OK, so get out a stop watch and tell me how fast the guide comes up on a Dish HD DVR? Are we talking a second difference, a .5 second difference, how much is it? Even if it's a second difference how often do you press the guide button in a day, 25 times, 50 times? Is less then a minute a day difference really that big a deal? Could be that with all the other functionality that D* has in their boxes, and the associated overhead, it's as good as it gets. I'd reather be able to watch a HD program recorded in HD on another HD DVR then save 50 seconds a day.

Yes, but isn't wise to make such assumptions; especially when it comes to those with the kinds of displays (I'm thinking especially older projectors) that might be damaged.

Several have reported that at one time or another, DIRECTV representatives have recommended using component connections over HDMI connections.

Only time we recommend conponent over HDMI is when the tv does not fully support HDCP

Because when the set does not support HDCP conponent cables are the only way to watch ppv in High Def.

Stone, you have to remember that Harshness is a Dish subscriber that loves to respond to DirecTV posts, even though he doesn't have the service.

OK, so get out a stop watch and tell me how fast the guide comes up on a Dish HD DVR? Are we talking a second difference, a .5 second difference, how much is it? Even if it's a second difference how often do you press the guide button in a day, 25 times, 50 times? Is less then a minute a day difference really that big a deal? Could be that with all the other functionality that D* has in their boxes, and the associated overhead, it's as good as it gets. I'd reather be able to watch a HD program recorded in HD on another HD DVR then save 50 seconds a day.

i will say that I notice a serious lag when the box is busy

Like recording 2 programs while downloading 3 via on deman and watching a show that already been recorded.

then there is a huge pain in the butt difference between my hr22 and my 722 while doing something similar yes the dish ui slows down a bit too bu no where near what hppens with the hr2x ui.

let me answer that since i am a D* sub :D:D. on the guide only. and i have clocked it,there has been as much as a 2 second difference. have in mind that according to many D subs, i have one of the slowest dvr's. the HR21-100. probably your HR20 is faster than mine.

let me answer that since i am a D* sub :D:D. on the guide only. and i have clocked it,there has been as much as a 2 second difference. have in mind that according to many D subs, i have one of the slowest dvr's. the HR21-100. probably your HR20 is faster than mine.

Rey, the times I've posted are from my HR21-100, which like you say most folks will say is the slowest D* HD DVR. I hust tried it again and my stop watch says 1.57 seconds. You say you've seen as much as 2 seconds, but what is it normally???

Rey, the times I've posted are from my HR21-100, which like you say most folks will say is the slowest D* HD DVR. I hust tried it again and my stop watch says 1.57 seconds. You say you've seen as much as 2 seconds, but what is it normally???
normally 1.3 to 1.5 seconds. when i bring up the guide for dish, it takes less than a second to come up. i know it sounds funny but you can really feel the difference. i can tell you that on very few occasions and only while the HR is recording, has it taken longer than 2 secs for the guide to come up. but it's not a frequent issue.

The only time my DVR slows is after I download some CE's. Most of time it is just noticeable, but not much of an issue.

The only time it is an issue is when my hand is faster than the DVR response and I end up hitting a button several times or it does not respond to the first button I hit. This will cause it to change to something I do not want, thus the frustration. Again, this is only an issue with some CE's.

OK, so get out a stop watch and tell me how fast the guide comes up on a Dish HD DVR?
It isn't so much a matter of time wasted as it is of relative speed. If something is slower than something very similar, it is in that respect inferior. If the HR23 is slower than the HR20 to produce a guide, it is inferior to the HR20 in that category of performance.
I'd reather be able to watch a HD program recorded in HD on another HD DVR then save 50 seconds a day.
If you use the guide to set up that recording, it has an impact on the overall experience.

It isn't so much a matter of time wasted as it is of relative speed. If something is slower than something very similar, it is in that respect inferior. If the HR23 is slower than the HR20 to produce a guide, it is inferior to the HR20 in that category of performance.

If you use the guide to set up that recording, it has an impact on the overall experience.

It has been shown that the HR20's chipset is different then the HR21/22/23's and IIRC one of the differences is how memory on the box is accessed. Why DirecTV made the change probably cost driven, as in lower their's but only they know why they did it. I just checked my HR20 compared to the HR21 and the HR20 is about .5 seconds faster, noticable yes but since it uses different hardware wouldn't call it inferior. That's like saying a 4 cylinder car is inferior to a 6 cylinder of the same make.

As for your MRV comment, even if it take a minute longer to set up the recording that's going to be much quicker then having to move to a different room and turn on a different TV to watch something recorded on that other HD DVR.

It has been shown that the HR20's chipset is different then the HR21/22/23's and IIRC one of the differences is how memory on the box is accessed. Why DirecTV made the change probably cost driven, as in lower their's but only they know why they did it. I just checked my HR20 compared to the HR21 and the HR20 is about .5 seconds faster, noticable yes but since it uses different hardware wouldn't call it inferior. That's like saying a 4 cylinder car is inferior to a 6 cylinder of the same make.

As for your MRV comment, even if it take a minute longer to set up the recording that's going to be much quicker then having to move to a different room and turn on a different TV to watch something recorded on that other HD DVR.
I would say a 4 cylinder is inferior to a 6 cylinder. The 6 cylinder of the same make and model will have more horsepower, more torque, better engine performance, and faster acceleration. The only thing the 4 cylinder may have an advantage in is mpg (that is not always the case, as often that smaller engine has to work harder to push a car of the same weight).

I would say a 4 cylinder is inferior to a 6 cylinder. The 6 cylinder of the same make and model will have more horsepower, more torque, better engine performance, and faster acceleration. The only thing the 4 cylinder may have an advantage in is mpg (that is not always the case, as often that smaller engine has to work harder to push a car of the same weight).

You missed the main advantage, cost , a 4 is less then a 6, which is probably why D* changed the chipset they used after the HR20's. I was just trying to say that D* decided to change the engine in the DVR's but I guess I wouldn't call the HR21/22/23 an inferior box because the engine is slower.

You missed the main advantage, cost , a 4 is less then a 6, which is probably why D* changed the chipset they used after the HR20's. I was just trying to say that D* decided to change the engine in the DVR's but I guess I wouldn't call the HR21/22/23 an inferior box because the engine is slower.
I see what you are saying. Direct reduces its costs and the only drawback is slightly slower performance, of which few would even notice the fractions of a second difference between the HR20 and the others.

And other things can be done to make a 4 cylinder perform as well as a factory 6 cylinder with the addition of after market parts (software updates in the case of the DVRs).

Does this mean it is not inferior? I guess one would have to define inferior. Too me if it is less expensive and contains lower performing parts that makes it inferior.

but that's exactly why it does make it an inferior dvr to the HR20. you certainly can't say it's better. ;)

Why DirecTV made the change probably cost driven, as in lower their's but only they know why they did it.
As DIRECTV considers them all functionally comparable and completely interchangeable, it doesn't really matter.

I don't buy into the "we're saving money so you're obviously benefitting" argument.

The car engine argument was probably a poor choice as the number of cylinders is not directly related to performance or fuel economy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)