Love the Loyalty dept.

Dissonance

Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Long post - sorry, I'm tired and rambling.

I've been with Dish for 8 years. The only service change was when I upgraded my 2700 to a 510. I've been wanting to switch from AT100 to HD Bronze since they first started offering it as a stand alone package.

Like many here I tried to get it switched before Feb 1, but as I only had the 510 Dish wouldn't budge. On Feb 1 I called about switching but was told it'd be about $200 to upgrade to an HD DVR. I simply can't do that. Not to mention it just really bugs me to pay for the right to lease.

Yesterday I decided it was now or never, so, I took the advice I've seen several times on here. I convinced myself that if I didn't get the deal I wanted I was going to drop the service all together. I even told my wife and kids that we probably wouldn't have Dish by the end of the week.

I called and got a CSR (named Jill, but had a Indian? accent) who offered me everything she could (basically, the current offers). When I refused and insisted I needed to cancel I was eventually (she was tenacious!) transferred to the Loyalty dept. The Loyalty operator also had a slight accent, but it was a nice southern drawl, but I digress.

She noticed that I had inqured about HD a couple of times. She asked why I wanted to quit, I told her very nicely that I needed to lower bills where I could. I was interested in HD Bronze without locals as that would lower my bill $10 a month, but I couldn't afford the upfront fees so I needed to cancel and hopefully come back when I could. She said, "you've been with us for 8 years, there won't be any fees. We can just send you the HD DVR." She then went on to add Max for a penny, 3 months of HBO etc, and the $10 off for 12.

Here comes the funny part. As she was typing things up I got disconnected. I had to then go deal with a student as my break time was almost over so I couldn't call back right away. When I called back later I got Jill again. :eek: I told Jill what had transpired and she said, "I can help finish that." She then tried to charge me $150. I just said, "No." long pause... she says, "you want it for free?" I said, "yes, thank you."

Fortunately, the Loyalty rep had typed it all into my account so I should be good to go.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought it a story worth sharing. Service dude comes next Friday. I have setup questions, but I'll do a little searching first.

I've been tempted to try the retention department to lower my bill, but hate complaining and bitching about stuff. I am paying $60/mo for 250 GOLD, HD, 622, 612, through my phone company so I guess that's not bad.

Then again, everyone likes to save a buck, especially now!

pfan

ps have you guys received your stimulus yet??? still waiting on mine.....:mad:

I've been tempted to try the retention department to lower my bill, but hate complaining and bitching about stuff. I am paying $60/mo for 250 GOLD, HD, 622, 612, through my phone company so I guess that's not bad.

Then again, everyone likes to save a buck, especially now!

pfan

ps have you guys received your stimulus yet??? still waiting on mine.....:mad:

That's a good deal considering I pay $68 for DDA Classic Silver with HD and one 722 with $8 of FL DBS tax on top of that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)