GEOSATpro Low SR question

skysurfer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
Now that my other ALi-based receiver released firmware that among other things supports low SR's down to 500, I am curious if that feature or work-around may ever make its way to the MicroHD. I realize the ALI chip in the microHD may not support a symbol rate that I would think is out of its specification range or that it could be a customer service nightmare to allow the low of allowable SR to be entered given that many people are using dirt-cheap cruddy LNB(F)s and not quality relatively phase stable DRO or PLL ones towards the commercial end of the spectrum.

We could provide the ability to manually add Symbol Rates to 500. Blind Scanning below 1000 would not be included in the spec as you pointed out, it is below the manufacturer's range.

Since the microHD is already capable of blind scanning below 1000, have you confirmed that this other ALI receiver is logging channels that the microHD is not? This would be unlikely due to our choice of tuner and the current firmware programming.

Curious of what services are using <1000?

the other ALI-based receiver I own won't blind-scan signals under 1000 with the new update -- it just allows you the opportunity to use the channel editor to add signals below SR 1000 and not have some issues such as the receiver rejecting the entry because the SR is out of range.

Will the MicroHD with the late February firmware give me problems if I were to do the same with it - use the channel editor to define a low SR signal and then try to tune it? I've never tried the super low SR's with the MicroHD because I thought there might be a problem with a SR that low - either rejected or unstable performance of the receiver.

Sounds from your reply that the MicroHD ALI chip has the same ability to handle low SR's in certain ways given the firmware is written in a particular way and that the ALI chip isn't that much different from the ALI chip in my other receiver.

as for that low of SR, there are two DVB-S radio distributions that use SR in the 700'ish area to deliver up to 4-5 audio channels.

The microHD has blind scanned several channels during testing that were in the <900 range, but had not found any services published lower than that to check.

The microHD manual symbol rate entry does not allow direct entry below 1000, but Blind Scan will log below. Have never tried the ALI Editor or MES to enter a lower SR.

Will be happy to check, but currently at the NRB Convention in Nashville, TN and returning Friday. Let me know if you try the editor entry or I will test at end of week.

It would be helpful if you would PM the channel info and I will privately report our testing.

for european customers like me 3 radio channels on 16 degrees east
symbol rate is 334

other are on 23,5 degrees east
symbol rate is 940 and 477

regards

for european customers like me 3 radio channels on 16 degrees east
symbol rate is 334

other are on 23,5 degrees east
symbol rate is 940 and 477

regards

Have you been able to log the SR 940 channels with blind scan?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)