LSU - Major NCAA violations result in probation for LSU football

Will94

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
USA
LSU given one-year probation, loss of scholarships for 2009 recruiting violations | NOLA.com
Is there a clean football program in the NCAA?
It's the first major violation in football for LSU since 1986. That leaves Vanderbilt as the only Southeastern Conference school without a major violation since 1987. "The committee felt the LSU compliance staff did an excellent job and assisted our enforcement staff," said Dennis Thomas, a member of the Division I Committee on Infractions who reviewed this case. "The senior associate athletic director (compliance director Miriam Segar) did a good job ... not allowing (Hicks) to not only (not) play but not even travel with the team the first game of that year. That was critical. The institution could have been under some more severe and serious penalties."
Okay, apparently Vandy is clean. How ironic, a clean doormat. ;)

Oh, and it looks like LSU really handled this the right way.

The senior associate athletic director (compliance director Miriam Segar) did a good job ... not allowing (Hicks) to not only (not) play but not even travel with the team the first game of that year. That was critical.

Interesting how some schools are completely compliant and bend over backwards to get all the information the NCAA will need to complete a thorough investigation, and get nailed pretty good...while others...well.... Just saying...

Interesting how some schools are completely compliant and bend over backwards to get all the information the NCAA will need to complete a thorough investigation, and get nailed pretty good...while others...well.... Just saying...

Interesting how some people circle so many things in this forum back to Ohio State...assuming that's what you're referring to. ;)

Sandra

I am confused, LSU was very proactive in dealing with this, completely cooperative with the NCAA, and is getting fairly minor sanctions because of it.

Ohio State withheld information and was clobbered.

Geaux Cheaters!!!!
Yeah, but we're honest and upfront cheaters. :D This story is about a week old by the way.

"The committee felt the LSU compliance staff did an excellent job and assisted our enforcement staff," said Dennis Thomas, a member of the Division I Committee on Infractions who reviewed this case. "The senior associate athletic director (compliance director Miriam Segar) did a good job ... not allowing (Hicks) to not only (not) play but not even travel with the team the first game of that year. That was critical. The institution could have been under some more severe and serious penalties."
Just thought I'd post that part again.

Last edited:
SandraC said:
Interesting how some people circle so many things in this forum back to Ohio State...assuming that's what you're referring to. ;)

Sandra

It was... From all indications so far, LSU held nothing back. The university held nothing back...reported everything

I am confused, LSU was very proactive in dealing with this, completely cooperative with the NCAA, and is getting fairly minor sanctions because of it.

Ohio State withheld information and was clobbered.
Clobberred? How? Nothing has happened to them yet.

Clobberred? How? Nothing has happened to them yet.
I was in a hurry when I wrote that and didn't make it clear. They have been clobbered in that they have had to forfeit all wins from last season, they have lost their head coach, and QB, AND this is before the NCAA has done anything to them.

I was in a hurry when I wrote that and didn't make it clear. They have been clobbered in that they have had to forfeit all wins from last season, they have lost their head coach, and QB, AND this is before the NCAA has done anything to them.

The wins were actually vacated, not forfeited. The difference is that a forfeit awards a win to the other team, vacated ones do not. So there is no real penalty attached to a vacated win.

I have a feeling the SEC will be the next conference to be exposed. No way a conference can be that good and squeaky clean at the same time.

They haven't been. The ONLY school that has not been busted by anything major, if I am not mistaken(and mentioned earlier) is Vandy.

That's what I am saying. If you want to punish them, make them give back that money. Vacating wins doesn't cost them a penny. Their share (the Big Ten splits bowl money evenly) of their Sugar Bowl take would cost them $$$.

The wins were actually vacated, not forfeited. The difference is that a forfeit awards a win to the other team, vacated ones do not. So there is no real penalty attached to a vacated win.

Theres really nothing attached to it EITHER way, the games were played and the outcome is done, even if they had decided to give the game to the other team, it doesn't matter.... everyone knows the game was played on the field.

That's what I am saying. If you want to punish them, make them give back that money. Vacating wins doesn't cost them a penny. Their share (the Big Ten splits bowl money evenly) of their Sugar Bowl take would cost them $$$.

They could give back the money that went to them ... but like you said, the money doesn't go to the school, it goes to ALL the schools in the B12

Theres really nothing attached to it EITHER way, the games were played and the outcome is done, even if they had decided to give the game to the other team, it doesn't matter.... everyone knows the game was played on the field.
There is something attached to a forfeit, but that's not what happened here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts