MacBook stuff

CLASSICDIRECTV

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2022
Shreveport Louisiana USA
I was going to buy an iPad Air but now have decided to buy a 2016 MacBook Pro with a minor display defect, but in order to get it I need to sell my 2012 and an iPhone 5, I’m currently in middle school so how would I go by selling it? I’m currently selling it for 150 at my school but I don’t know how to get people interested in it, I’m even including several blank disks… would teachers be interested?

I’m also upgradeing it as I’m going to start editing- yes I know the specs are identical but the processor is better and it has an ssd,
whenever I get it what are some recommended accessories ?

If you are a Pub Member, there is a Classifieds Forum on SatelliteGuys for buying and selling items.

You may find takers on craigslist.com but there's some question as to whether you qualify under the "sufficient age" clause of the Craigslist Terms of Use (TOU).

There's also the Facebook Marketplace but I'm not sure what their requirements are.

Don't overlook the cost of shipping (postage, secure packaging, delivering the package to a shipper, etc.) if you sell to someone that can't pick up the goods.

It is also important to manage your expectations about what people are willing to pay for decidedly outdated equipment. What may be a museum treasure to you has little to no appeal for someone looking for a "daily driver" phone or notebook computer.

Hey, not a thing wrong with the 2016 MBP. I have two of them (my primary and one I travel with) and they are still barn burners with tons of raw power. I would only cushion on getting one with at least the 16G of memory as the latest MacOS uses almost 8G just for itself. My wife's older Macbook Air with 8 gig is just about unusable.

My wife's older Macbook Air with 8 gig is just about unusable.
I think that's more about the hobbled Intel CPU Apple was forced to use on that generation of MacBook Air than 8 GB of RAM. My 2016 MacBook Pro has the base 8 GB and it's fine for what I need to use it for.

That said, I did look seriously at the M1 MacBook Air but I didn't want to give up my MBP's Retina display. And soon the whole Remote Desktop while traveling won't be an issue, so I'll be keeping my 2016 MBP until it falls out of support.

Reactions: bookworm370
I think that's more about the hobbled Intel CPU Apple was forced to use on that generation of MacBook Air than 8 GB of RAM.
Hobbled as compared to what?

It isn't the hardware that hobbles a computer, it is the bloat of the software with perhaps a little planned obsolescence sprinkled in. Swift isn't the performance solution to Objective C.

Hobbled as compared to what?

It isn't the hardware that hobbles a computer, it is the bloat of the software with perhaps a little planned obsolescence sprinkled in. Swift isn't the performance solution to Objective C.
I don’t have personal experience with the late-2010s MacBook Air, mine was a 2011/2012 era MBA. It had 4 GB of RAM and ran the OSX OS just fine. I used it to run Safari for accessing this site (and others) and some 1080i video capture using a Blackmagic Design Thunderbolt 2 capture device. I found the 4 GB it came with adequate for my needs.

If bookworm370’s wife’s MacBook Air is unacceptably slow with 8 GB, it could be the software loaded on top of macOS. If you treat a Mac like a Windows PC and load it full of anti-Malware solutions or so-called “Productivity” software, it can slow a Mac (or any computer OS) down. Make a TimeMachine backup of her MBA, reinstall macOS using the macOS Network Restore, and import users from the Time Machine backup, skipping software/applications. Restore those from your Mac App Store account. Take this time to reevaluate the applications you run.

If she gets a new MacBook Air, chances are it will have an Apple Silicon CPU, so at least a lot of the third-party cruftware won’t carry over during a migration. Again, I would take the opportunity to do a fresh install and migrate data but not software. Get any software from the Mac App Store or reputable Mac Software Developers. Get Chrome or Firefox direct from their download sites, not from a link a “friend” online gives you.

If she gets a new MacBook Air, chances are it will have an Apple Silicon CPU, so at least a lot of the third-party cruftware won’t carry over during a migration.
Yet a lot of the Mac software remains compiled for the Intel CPUs so labeling the Intel CPUs as the problem is inappropriate.