Mad Scientist strikes again! Poor Man's DISH500+/1000+

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
Using an old Primestar dish, the feedhorn from the Primestar LNBF, a disused 105 FSS LNBF unit, and a critical part from a fried 105 SuperDish type 2 110 LNBF, I have successfully built a dish that receives 118 KU circular signal. This, integrated with the DPP44 and the repurposed and zip-tied Superdish that gets 110, and 119 gives me the equivalent of the new, rare and expensive DISH500+, taking up only four times the backyard space of a real one. I could add another LNBF at 129 for a DISH1000+ equivalent.

I must give credit to Smith, P as it was his posts here and elsewhere that inspired this, specifically how to convert a linear LNBF to circular. He did the initial work but many of us would agree, his writing style leaves much to the imagination and much to be figured out through constant research. :D

With slight trimming, the dielectric barrier found within the SD-type2 110 LNBF (the pencil-point one) can be made to fit within the PrimeStar feedhorn. The 105 FSS LNB is attached to the feedhorn and adjusted for proper skew, then the dielectric piece is inserted at a 45 degree angle into the feedhorn. (this leads me to believe that the 110 piece, were it not fried, is now a linear LNBF for DBS frequencies, if such a thing were useful).

This was a fun and frustrating project. I am successfully getting KBS World (channel 9850) and the "Congratulations, you have 118" placeholder.

Photos: back view, front view, side view, skew adjustment, superdish lnbs. Note the dielectric piece inside the feedhorn is at a 45 degree angle relative to the LNB as adjusted for skew, not the feedhorn itself. The superdish was repointed by peaking the original 110 LNB on 119, thus 119 becomes 129 and the one added on the other side becomes 110. The skew had to be adjusted, increased signal on average about 5-10 points per transponder.

Attachments

• 118-back.JPG
    118-back.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,309
  • 118-front.JPG
    118-front.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,441
  • 118-side.JPG
    118-side.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,265
  • 118-skew.JPG
    118-skew.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 1,083
  • superdish-lnbs.JPG
    superdish-lnbs.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 2,189
Last edited:
Wow, this may be the first scientist project that could cost an average person more than just buying the new dish for $140. Obtaining the primestar dish, lnbs, and knowledge sounds tough on this one.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures on this one. I remember SmithP saying he had converted an LNB for this, but his signal was in the 40s. How does your signal strength look?

yeah, I'll get some pictures posted soon.

Just doing something with spare parts that were lying around, didn't cost me anything except the time.

Without any fine-tweaking yet, I'm seeing around 75 (ViP622 strength numbers) on a few transponders. I think the difference may be in using the P* feedhorn which is designed specifically for the dish.

I picked up to Primestar dishes for $30 from a local Directv dealer. Call around to the satellite shops, or if you see one in someones yard, ask them :)

ok, i've posted pictures (first post above).

Working with the old sony digital camera is more difficult than the project itself. :D

Converting linear lnb to circular for legacy equipment

Pepper,

Have you or Smith, P done any more experimenting with other lnb's for receiving 118 ? I would like to convert a linear lnb to circular for my legacy setup. I got a leased 622 as of two and a half weeks ago, and I would like to add AMC 16 at 118' for Indianapolis LIL when it becomes available, using my 1M Primestar dish. I have a Dual Linear lnb I was using for 105' (for guide info for Dayton,Oh. DMA), that I'm not using any more. With specs of 11.7/12.2 GHz, 950/1450 MHz, LO of 10.75 GHz, .6dB.
Also, where can I get a piece of plastic like you used ?
And will the SW64 and SW21 cascade work with a 622 ?

That is _legacy_ type KuFSS LNBF; I wouldn't tell you if it will recognize by ViP622 without test it with SW64+SW21. So far we seen other config with a switch - DPP44.

As soon as I get a chance I'll move my Primestar dish back to 105' with the KuFSS LNB and put the SW21 back in the circuit (for four sat configuration) and see how my VIP622 reacts.
I will also be able to tell if my 622 will work ok with the SW64+SW21 cascade with a LNB with a LO of 10.75 GHz ,my 921 did.

Last edited:
True, Duane's entry into the mad scientist club could be through the answer to that question. :D

Just finished adjusting my 1M primestar dish. Put my KuFSS lnb back on and tried my darnest to find 105'W. Finally gave up when I stumbled across 121'W. Ran the switch test ,only recognised 121. So I checked Superdish and ran the switch test again ,this time it recognised all four sat locations.:cool: It is recognised as a SW21-4SAT.
Now if I can only figure out how to convert my Ku lnb to circular for 118.7.;)

Duane

Any plain old plastic of that thickness would work? I thought that thing whatever it was had some special properties.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)