Major Issue with my 722 Receiver - Anyone else have the same problem?

Ok, my new receiver was working greate yesterday, and the temp was fine on it. I've been gone all day, and just got home. I went to turn the TV on, and lo and behold, this receiver is doing the same dang thing!!! This is really frustrating. What else could it be besides overheating, which it's not, or junk hardware?
Based on your postings, nothing you have done rules out overheating. Have you actually added an external fan to cool the receiver? As far as your temp readings after less that one day of operation, they are meaningless. It takes weeks of continuous operation for these temp readings to be really meaningful.

Did you try unplugging the receiver for at least an hour and then see if it runs again?

Without external powered ventilation the 622/722/722k series receivers need a minimum of 4 " clearance on each side for proper ventilation (numbers are mine not Dishes).

Without external powered ventilation the 622/722/722k series receivers need a minimum of 4 " clearance on each side for proper ventilation (numbers are mine not Dishes).
Maintaining "minimum clearance" doesn't guarantee "proper" ventilation! You can have 10" of clearance around them, if you stick them in a cabinet they will overheat.

These receivers are so poorly designed that the smallest airflow restriction will cause them to overheat.

Maintaining "minimum clearance" doesn't guarantee "proper" ventilation! You can have 10" of clearance around them, if you stick them in a cabinet they will overheat.

These receivers are so poorly designed that the smallest airflow restriction will cause them to overheat.

You are really so full of yourself, you lessen your credibility. I have had a 722 in a cabinet for 3 years, and guess what, I've never had a failure!

DSCN0510.JPG

I had the problem of the green light coming on with fan running then it would turn off a while and then come back on time after time. Dish sent one or two replacements which immediately or soon (don't remember which) did the same thing.

I finally went out and reset the circuit breaker (turned it off and pushed it as far as it would go and then back on) for the circuit it was on and the receiver has been working fine for quite a while since.

I think the receivers are very sensitive electrically.

You might give it a try.

You are really so full of yourself, you lessen your credibility. I have had a 722 in a cabinet for 3 years, and guess what, I've never had a failure!
You are right, these receivers run cold like a cucumber and I must be selling fans.

gary s said:
I had the problem of the green light coming on with fan running then it would turn off a while and then come back on time after time. Dish sent one or two replacements which immediately or soon (don't remember which) did the same thing.

I finally went out and reset the circuit breaker (turned it off and pushed it as far as it would go and then back on) for the circuit it was on and the receiver has been working fine for quite a while since.

You might give it a try.

This brings to mind the first time I had receiver peoblems. When I called dish the first thing I was asked to do was unplug the receiver from the power strip and plug directly into the wall. I have no idea if this is BS or not. It hasn't prevented heat failure on 2 receivers. I credit the external fan I added after the second receiver died. Current 722 has been running 4 years with external fan and it is in an enclosed cabnet.....

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

I recently had a fan fail in my 722. Since I have it on a shelf in my equipment room, I can't hear what it's doing. But all of a sudden out of the blue it put up a warning that it was too hot and refused to do anything. A hard reset allowed it to run for another hour or two before it put up this warning again. I replaced the fan and it's been fine ever since.

Are those of you with overheating 722's seeing this warning, or is your disk just frying?

When my 622 was repeatedly crashing -- before I added the two external fans -- there was no warning, it simply crashed and then rebooted.
Two of my 722 also overheated without any warnings. Added an exhaust fan and it runs perfectly now.

If you listen here to "Bobby" the expert, these receivers never overheat and we don't know what we are talking about.

Considering how many, I mean many, have 722s that do not do that and you seem to have one right after the other, I think you've got an issue outside of the box. If it is not overheating maybe it has a power problem. Try running an extension cord to another outlet, preferably in a different circuit to see if that clears it up.

I tried that already. I checked the outlets with a mulitmeter and everything checks out fine. What I did discover is, it worked fine when I unplugged my EHD. I will monitor it for the next few days or so to see how it behaves.

You might give it a try.

Interesting. I will certainly keep that in mind. It seems to be behaving ok since I unplugged my EHD. I am still thinking this a bad software update.

A Multimeter will tell you the voltage, not if the feed has noise on it. If it has a huge amount of noise, it will show it, but enough noise for you not to see it can kill the operation. Do not eliminate power problems by a multimeter.

Interesting. I will certainly keep that in mind. It seems to be behaving ok since I unplugged my EHD. I am still thinking this a bad software update.

When you installed the new receiver, did you hook up the ehd before or after the receiver was authorized and all software downloaded?

View attachment 69790

Two of my 722 also overheated without any warnings. Added an exhaust fan and it runs perfectly now.

If you listen here to "Bobby" the expert, these receivers never overheat and we don't know what we are talking about.

OK, you said "Maintaining "minimum clearance" doesn't guarantee "proper" ventilation! You can have 10" of clearance around them, if you stick them in a cabinet they will overheat." I said " I have had a 722 in a cabinet for 3 years, and guess what, I've never had a failure!" and included a photo of my configuration.

You maintain that you have to have external venting because that's what fixed it for you. I am disproving that theory because I have my 722 in a cabinet with some ventilation around it and I have never had a failure. If that makes me, or you for that matter, an expert on anything you have a different idea of what I consider an expert. You shared your experience with vigor and I disproved part of what you were saying. Get over it....

The installer connected it before.

When I got one of my replacements for my 722, I hooked up my ehd before I plugged it in for the first time. It would not power up. I had to unplug the ehd and then do all the software installation and programming downloads. Only once my receiver was authorized could I plug in my ehd.
So your receiuver worked after you unplugged the ehd. What happens if you connect it up again?

When I got one of my replacements for my 722, I hooked up my ehd before I plugged it in for the first time. It would not power up. I had to unplug the ehd and then do all the software installation and programming downloads. Only once my receiver was authorized could I plug in my ehd.
So your receiuver worked after you unplugged the ehd. What happens if you connect it up again?

Makes sense. The receiver ended up working with the EHD connected during the authorization and software/programming updates. Although, it did seem to take longer than it should have. I have not connected it again yet, as I want to monitor it for a few days or so to see how it behaves with it disconnected. I did notice with the 1st replacement receiver that it was acting strange - even though it recognized there was a EHD installed, I couldn't manage it. If in unplugged the EHD from the back of the receiver and back in, it would recongize it and allow me to manage it. It's possible that I could have a bad hard drive, but since I first posted about this last week, I've since read other threads similar to this problem, which all point to buggy software from DISH.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)