Major Issue with my 722 Receiver - Anyone else have the same problem?

cpapjack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Getzville, NY
So last week, after approximately 2 years, my 2nd 722 Receiver decides to stop working. I did the usual troubleshooting (unplugging it and plugging it back in, etc), to no avail. When I press the power button, I hear the hard drive start to spin up, the green power light comes on, then goes off, and that's it. To make a long story short, Dish sent me a replacement 722, and all seems to be ok. Well, this morning, my wife turned the TV in the kitchen on (2nd tuner) and lo and behold, there is no picture. I turn the main TV on, and the same thing. It turns out, this receiver is now doing the same thing as the other one did. Has anyone heard of this happening? Could it be a bad software update?

Software issues are common but so is over heating of the receiver. Is there plenty of room around the receiver for air flow?

Yep. Nothing has changed as far as that goes. There's an opening in the back of the cabinet it's in and there is no door in the front of the cabinet, so there is plenty of air flowing around it.

The receiver has an internal fan that blows out the left side (when viewed from the front). Does the receiver have side-to-side ventilation?

Several years ago my 622 was randomly and frequently crashing.

Someone on this site suggested that overheating might be the culprit and recommended that I install two external fans (Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan). I put one on the right side of the 622, blowing in, and one on the left side, blowing out. Problem solved. I've had no more crashes, and the average internal temperature dropped significantly.

You might want to try this.

Several years ago my 622 was randomly and frequently crashing.

Someone on this site suggested that overheating might be the culprit and recommended that I install two external fans (Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan). I put one on the right side of the 622, blowing in, and one on the left side, blowing out. Problem solved. I've had no more crashes, and the average internal temperature dropped significantly.

You might want to try this.

Thanks for the tip. I may try that, but I just don't want to believe it's an overheating issue when I've never had this issue before and nothing has changed. There's always been more than enough airflow around the receivers. :)

Thanks for the tip. I may try that, but I just don't want to believe it's an overheating issue when I've never had this issue before and nothing has changed. There's always been more than enough airflow around the receivers. :)
I had the same problem, check your HD temperature. Menu-6-3-counters and scroll down. If the High temp is 138° or higher then that the problem. These receivers are so poorly designed that if you breathe to much they overheat.

See http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...average-622-722-temperature-thread-yours.html, no accident that this subject has over 120,000 views.

Last edited:
To answer the question, I have never observed my 722 to behave in the way yours are. Overheating should be obvious, though. My 722 recently suffered a partial fan failure. It would still spin, but it was sticky or running slow or something because it would pop up a high temp warning and stop responding. Fixed with a new fan which I installed myself for $10. ;) You might not want to try that with a leased receiver.

I had the same problem, check your HD temperature. Menu-6-3-counters and scroll down. If the High temp is 138° or higher then that the problem. These receivers are so poorly designed that if you breathe to much they overheat.

Can't, my receiver is dead. :) But yes, I will check that once I get the new one installed. The only thing I can think of how it might possibly be overheating if that is the case, is my wife or kids are shoving the Wii Remotes and other stuff on the sides of the receiver.

To answer the question, I have never observed my 722 to behave in the way yours are. Overheating should be obvious, though. My 722 recently suffered a partial fan failure. It would still spin, but it was sticky or running slow or something because it would pop up a high temp warning and stop responding. Fixed with a new fan which I installed myself for $10. ;) You might not want to try that with a leased receiver.

I think I am going to invest in a fan or two. But that means I'll have to spend even more money to get a powered USB hub, since I have an EHD and soon to be Sling, so no available USB ports. :)

Can't, my receiver is dead. :) But yes, I will check that once I get the new one installed. The only thing I can think of how it might possibly be overheating if that is the case, is my wife or kids are shoving the Wii Remotes and other stuff on the sides of the receiver.
Unplug your receiver for about an hour and see if it runs again. Usually overheating doesn't cause a permanent damage. If it runs again check the HD temperatures. Letting it cool off will reset the Average and Low readings but not the High temp so you will be able to verify the problem. Also, if the receiver still works I would add immediately an external fan instead of replacing the receiver and loosing your HD content.

I work on the Dr Dish team at Dish Network I am thinking this may be a grounding issue. I am not at work now nor do I access this site at work so I would recommend either call dish or contact a DIRT member or go online to chat with a csr about the issue.

I work on the Dr Dish team at Dish Network I am thinking this may be a grounding issue. I am not at work now nor do I access this site at work so I would recommend either call dish or contact a DIRT member or go online to chat with a csr about the issue.

A technician came out to my house this morning and replaced the bad replacement receiver with a brand new 722K. He checked everything, including power and everything checked out ok. He thinks the replacement receiver, which was a refurb, was tossed aound too much on the FedEx truck. The funny thing is, I actually believe that could be part of what caused the issue - a failed hard drive. I was sitting in my recliner last night working on the laptop, and I heard some really loud clinking noises coming from the hard drive.

So anyway, the good thing with this receiver is, it's brand new, and I can store my timers in my remote. Very cool. The bad thing is, it didn't come with the OTA module. Not cool, considering I record 3 shows at once quite often.

A technician came out to my house this morning and replaced the bad replacement receiver with a brand new 722K. He checked everything, including power and everything checked out ok. He thinks the replacement receiver, which was a refurb, was tossed aound too much on the FedEx truck. The funny thing is, I actually believe that could be part of what caused the issue - a failed hard drive. I was sitting in my recliner last night working on the laptop, and I heard some really loud clinking noises coming from the hard drive.

So anyway, the good thing with this receiver is, it's brand new, and I can store my timers in my remote. Very cool. The bad thing is, it didn't come with the OTA module. Not cool, considering I record 3 shows at once quite often.

So I just chatted with DISH and they are sending me a new OTA module at no cost. ;)

I've been iffy about DISH's customer service in the past, but this past week they have actually been, dare I say it, good? :)

Ok, my new receiver was working greate yesterday, and the temp was fine on it. I've been gone all day, and just got home. I went to turn the TV on, and lo and behold, this receiver is doing the same dang thing!!! This is really frustrating. What else could it be besides overheating, which it's not, or junk hardware?

Last edited:
Considering how many, I mean many, have 722s that do not do that and you seem to have one right after the other, I think you've got an issue outside of the box. If it is not overheating maybe it has a power problem. Try running an extension cord to another outlet, preferably in a different circuit to see if that clears it up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)