Major SatelliteGuys FIOS Rumor!

IN moat areas Verizon FIOS is an alternative to cable. They just got a franchise to operate where I am and Cox is entrenched here. So don't despair simply because you live in Cmcast or TW vile.

clapple said:
I read one article, that said FIOS will not carry local channels. Any truth, or just more media "facts"? What are they actually doing in Texas?

not true. they will carry the locals.

clapple - in your post it says i edited it, but i did not. the first time i hit the wrong button instead of the quote button.

clapple said:
I read one article, that said FIOS will not carry local channels. Any truth, or just more media "facts"? What are they actually doing in Texas?
Most certainly NOT true. They will actually carry local DIGITAL channels. I will have no more need for a 12' antenna 27' up in the air.

Relocating to Keller, Texas, Zip Code 76248 next March-2006 and just found out that Verizon DOES offer FIOS Internet and TV service for our new home. I guess I am lucky individual to be transferred with a major airline from Las Vegas and to DFW and have new house being built with Fibre Optics and FIOS service.

Well, let me comment on a couple of things about some confusion or question people had in this forum:

As was mention in the opening post, Verizon will be offering every HD channel available via satellite to their Fiber Optic Television Service. If you were unaware, this is how that works:

First of all, all of the television networks and "cable networks" such as your movie channels (HBO, SHO, TMC), sports channels (ESPN), etc., have a central communication office where they broadcast their content UP to a satellite. It is then sent back down to the earth and offered for whomever wants to rebroadcast it on "their" network for a fee. This would be your local cable company, satellite companies such as Dish, and DirectTV, and now Verizon FIOS TV. IF you have ever driven by your local cable company office, you should see a big satellite dish next to the office. This is where they are receiving the channels from the television networks.

Side Note: When the cable companies and satellite companies send these channels over their networks, they are usually compressed more than what they are receiving them at, which unfortunately degrades the picture quality. Verizon "SHOULD" be hopefully offering the channels at very little to NO compression, which should give it the best picture you will ever see, unless you go to the televison network facility yourself and view it at their location. The information on Verizon is unknown, but due to the fact that people have confirmed the excellent picture quality, then that should let you know there is very little to no compression.

Second of all, Verizon FIOS TV is going to be a television service to compete with your local cable company, and with the national satellite services, such as Dish Network and Direct TV. Their prices will be very competitive, if not better than what you are paying now, but of course as mentioned above, due to the little or no compression, they will offer an excellent picture quality.

Third of all, Verizon FIOS TV is only being offered in ONE place that I know of at this time in the US, and that is Keller, TX, which is a suburb of Dallas/Fort Worth. It is being offered via Fiber Optic, so you cannot get FIOS TV any other way, other than you having their fiber optic service. A Statewide franchise has, on October 21, been approved for the State of Texas and they should be offering it soon to more communities.

Finally, if you have not seen the prices that Verizon is charging, let me give you some baseline #'s. Note, these may change at some later point, so consider this an approximation for now. By the time it actually makes it to your community, it could be different.

FIOS TV Packages & Pricing (KELLER,TX):

http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/Channels/FiosTV/FiosTVpackage.aspx

FIOS TV Channel Lineup (KELLER,TX)

http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/Channels/FiosTV/channel.aspx

NOTE: Channels are currently being added, so by the time it makes it to your community, they could have more channels to offer than what is listed.

We have FIOS Internet service and been hearing that the TV portion is coming. It was supposed to be turned on early December and now they are saying next week due to technical issues.

We will see.

Will it work on dialup? hehehehehehehehe

It will be a cold day in hell before they get fiber down here.

However, I hear we might get dsl by 2055, so who knows!

Tim

Wishful Thinking?

Just wondering if the SF bay area is in their radar....Probably not. But then again, V* took a while to get here. If they do, it will be absolute Nirvana. :confused: