Major SatelliteGuys FIOS Rumor!

Are they basically glorified cable companies? Do they have to hook up a whole town, or is it user centric?

How does the rollout look to happen?

mwgiii said:
What parts of the US have Verizon FIOS?
All over. It's not just in 1 or 2 areas. Last I heard it was in 11 or 12 different states (various stages from planned all the way to opperational). Most areas are near larger metropolitan areas.

This site may be albe to give you more specifics as to your area. DSLReports also is probably the best place for deployment reports. Sorry SatGuys...your just not there yet.

Great site. They've got about a dozen cities targeted in my county, but alas Brielle is not one of them. Interesting to watch though. Cablevision is pushing 10Mbps through my internet connection at home and Verizon looks to blow even THAT away.

This one snuck up on me. I haven't been folowing this at all, but I will now. Thanks for the heads up all.

BobMurdoch said:
Great site. They've got about a dozen cities targeted in my county, but alas Brielle is not one of them. Interesting to watch though. Cablevision is pushing 10Mbps through my internet connection at home and Verizon looks to blow even THAT away.

This one snuck up on me. I haven't been folowing this at all, but I will now. Thanks for the heads up all.

wait till november ool will be at 20/2, also they have tested a 100/50 ool service back in the spring.

Im skeptical.....

Cablevision signing a deal with verizon? dude Verizon is Cablevision's direct competitor... and they are TARGETING cablevision areas.... I really do not think this is possible..

But in the event that its true.... somebody PLZZZZZZZZZZ gimme some fiber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cdru said:
Sorry SatGuys...your just not there yet.
I check out DLSreports for my area and our very own Verizon FIOS in Virginia thread combined with our FIOS Forum has more information, but I'm just one person in one small area of this great big Commonwealth. I just wish we could get people to post their sightings in the FiOS Forum more often. :no If so, perhaps it could one day be as good as the VOOM DBS Forum before its demise.

Calling Scott and Mods...what can you do to beef up awareness of the FiOS Forum? The FiOS Forum is shaping up very well...just need everyone to know that HighTechTV is the FiOS Information Source. :yes

riffjim4069 said:
I check out DLSreports for my area and our very own Verizon FIOS in Virginia thread combined with our FIOS Forum has more information, but I'm just one person in one small area of this great big Commonwealth. I just wish we could get people to post their sightings in the FiOS Forum more often. :no If so, perhaps it could one day be as good as the VOOM DBS Forum before its demise.

Calling Scott and Mods...what can you do to beef up awareness of the FiOS Forum? The FiOS Forum is shaping up very well...just need everyone to know that HighTechTV is the FiOS Information Source. :yes

we have a couple of staff who have good contacts. we are working hard to become a better information source for FiOS and hope to have more for everyone shortly.

also, scott posted the breaking news on the front page. before today, the most people i have seen in the fios forum at one time was 10. the time i looked at it today, we had 183. as fios becomes more popular, the traffic for us will increase.

BobMurdoch said:
Are they basically glorified cable companies? Do they have to hook up a whole town, or is it user centric?

How does the rollout look to happen?

Do you really not know who Verizon is? They are first and foremost a very large Telicom corporation. In other words phone company/ cell phone company. Haven't you ever heard the commercial where the dude is all over the country saying can you hear me now?

They started laying fiber down to upgrade their phone lines, and to offer higher DSL speeds. Then they realized there is enough bandwidth left over to offer television programming and a lot of it. So they started seeing the green. And here we are.

BobMurdoch said:

basically its a 10 year project .They are systematically going neighbor hood to neighborhood(CENTRAL OFFICE TO CENTRAL OFFICE) They are replacing all the existing copper plant with fiber to the premis. Its easy to tell which neighborhoods have been converted.. Instead of having a small attractive (gray box)(nid) on the side of their house they will have a 4 ft by 4 ft monstrosity that will convert light signals( fiber) into electricity(copper)..This single fiber will provide telephone, internet and television . To receive tv you will and additinal set top box for each tv. There are still lots and lots of bugs to work out!!! Keller Texas is only a trial and Verizon is years away from nationwide television service that will effectively compete with cable and satellite

Ummm, i think you need to check your facts, the ONT's arent 4 feet by 4 feet.. you may be thinking of the fridge sized 'splitters' mounted on the poles

CJPC said:
Ummm, i think you need to check your facts, the ONT's arent 4 feet by 4 feet.. you may be thinking of the fridge sized 'splitters' mounted on the poles
ummm I know my facts very well thank you (yes i did exagerate)ther not "splitters" those are nodes..and yes verizon is gonna mount them on sides of houses unlike cable companies

Juan, What physical proof or where have you seen or heard Verizon putting a FDH (Fiber Distribution Hub) on a customers premise?

You are telling me that they would install a 216 FDH or a 432 FDH on a house and expect access each and every time it needed service. Even if the customer had a dog or the house did not have aright of way. For such a vital and important piece of equipment that brings serves maybe 216 homes you think they would install it on a house?

Heres the CPE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/splunk/fios/ont.jpg (ie the ONT that goes on any install from 1-10)

heres the 'splitter': http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=box5zk.jpg

(yes it is a 'splitter' ie laymans terms, one fiber cable w/ multi strands to individual cables): http://www22.verizon.com/about/community/ma/images/fttp_architecture.jpg )

Now on installs 11+, they may mount something similiar in size to your 4x4 box, but only for apartment buildings (11+ installs etc)

(not my pics, found em via a search, and sry on all the links!)

sampatterson said:
Thats great but unfortunately I don't see FIOS ever coming into the North Atlanta suburbs unless Verizon buys Comcast.

Or the South Atlanta suburbs unless they buy Adelphia as well BS would never do this. As a matter of fact, BS is thinking of rolling out the half-ass fiber over builds that the cable companies are already sorry about. :rolleyes:

Look, here is the bottom line. The continental US needs to have its entire copper plant replaced by single mode fiber. Every house, old gas station, & MUD. All SLC huts need to go the way of the Dodo & should be converted DWDM ASAP.

Of course this will not happen (willingly) in our lifetimes.

daInvincibleGama said:
Im skeptical.....

Cablevision signing a deal with verizon? dude Verizon is Cablevision's direct competitor... and they are TARGETING cablevision areas.... I really do not think this is possible..
Why not? Fox owned DirecTV, yet is 99% complete in their retransmit agreement. Time-Warner also owns HBO, TBS, WB, etc yet also runs Time-Warner Cable. Yet they they too have agreements (or will) with Verizon. They all know that ultimately they aren't going to stop Verizon from competiting with them...so they at least want a piece of the pie from Verizon's customers.

At home, what kind of device is needed to get FIOS?
I am thinking some kind of Over the top receiver for FIOS.. any already out there we can check out?

stevelite said:
At home, what kind of device is needed to get FIOS?
I am thinking some kind of Over the top receiver for FIOS.. any already out there we can check out?
On the side of the house they will mount an ONT. It's about the size as an electric meter box. At this point, the fiber is terminated and split into 3 different types of connections. The first is phone lines. The one in the picture has jacks for up to 4 lines I beleive. Next is the single data port. This leads to a router that can further provide access to multiple computers. Finally on the bottom is a F-connector. A standard coax cable then can be used, split, etc just like a CATV signal can be. Basic channels don't require a receiver. Enhanced basic requires a box at each TV, much like digital cable or satellite would. There really isn't anything special about them as they essentially work the same way a cable box does.

LonghornXP said:
Also for the very few lucky FIOS TV customers that have the service during the last 8 weeks of the regular NFL season you might be getting a treat.

Verizon happens to also be in talks to carry an 8 game per week NFL package that would cover 8 selected games every week for the last 8 weeks of the NFL regular season. As always all HDTV games will be passed along every week. Verizon also has plans in 2010 to make a major bid for NFL Sunday Ticket. Now Verizons deal won't be exclusive but they want it.

GOD I hope they are successful in breaking the D* monopoly on the NFL (it's basically what lead the gouging every year not to mention the superfan fiasco). I like D*, but this is one area I would like to see them brought to their knees :eek: . I think the fiber cable fight will be much more long and drawn out if texas is a model of things to come. There's too many rules and too bureacracy involved that is individual to each state. It would be awesome though if they pull it off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts