Major SatelliteGuys FIOS Rumor!

ocnier said:
GOD I hope they are successful in breaking the D* monopoly on the NFL (it's basically what lead the gouging every year not to mention the superfan fiasco). I like D*, but this is one area I would like to see them brought to their knees :eek: . I think the fiber cable fight will be much more long and drawn out if texas is a model of things to come. There's too many rules and too bureacracy involved that is individual to each state. It would be awesome though if they pull it off.

This 8 game type package is something that DirecTV can't stop (their contract with the NFL allowed this package to be offered if the NFL wanted to offer it) and it seems that more companies than just Verizon will offer this package. The NFL wants to use this package as a test to see if this would take off more on cable than say satellite. Also keep in mind that it doesn't seem like DirecTV (from what I'm hearing) will renew the Sunday Ticket contract in 2010. If this is so the NFL wants figures so they can work with say CBS and Fox or another network in 2011 when the CBS and Fox contract runs out. Again if the full NFL Sunday Ticket package is everywhere you can expect the networks to complain that they are losing local advertising revenu from massive loads of people switching to another game or just not watching their games.

Now from my point of view I wouldn't be suprised if in 2011 Sunday games switched from CBS and Fox to say ESPN and TNT.

Question for anyone that has FIOS, can you reveal the upfront cost?
FTTH or FIOS is an ONT or PON mounted to the side of your home, the transfer from optical to RF is done there. It will take Verizon many years to roll this out, the best part is it will force the others (cable and satellite) to get better!!

I pay $99/month for "Business-Class" FiOS with 5 static IP addresses. I paid ZERO installation costs, including a wireless router and wall fishing of all the cables.

really looking forward to the service in VA. Live in sterling. Called Verizon and they have no idea when they come to Sterling area. :(

rtt2 said:
Juan, What physical proof or where have you seen or heard Verizon putting a FDH (Fiber Distribution Hub) on a customers premise?

You are telling me that they would install a 216 FDH or a 432 FDH on a house and expect access each and every time it needed service. Even if the customer had a dog or the house did not have aright of way. For such a vital and important piece of equipment that brings serves maybe 216 homes you think they would install it on a house?
Yes I do...I know more than I can share

rtt2 said:
Juan, What physical proof or where have you seen or heard Verizon putting a FDH (Fiber Distribution Hub) on a customers premise?

You are telling me that they would install a 216 FDH or a 432 FDH on a house and expect access each and every time it needed service. Even if the customer had a dog or the house did not have aright of way. For such a vital and important piece of equipment that brings serves maybe 216 homes you think they would install it on a house?
Yes I do...I know more than I can share .... they run fiber all the way to the house Its a smaller unit than they use for cable( see post 59)..the bigger units will be used in apartment complexes

clapple said:
Fiber optic cable has been installed. When will service start?
Getting the fiber ran is only one of the first stages. Have they terminated the ends yet or just laid the cable? There also is signifiant backend work that has to be done as well. Crews were around my house in March/April this year initially and the tenative go-live date is somewhere around the begining of December. In other parts of the country it's been around 6 months from when things first started happening.

rcbridge said:
Question for anyone that has FIOS, can you reveal the upfront cost?
FTTH or FIOS is an ONT or PON mounted to the side of your home, the transfer from optical to RF is done there. It will take Verizon many years to roll this out, the best part is it will force the others (cable and satellite) to get better!!

I only have FIOS for internet and phone, (Verizon still has to work out a franchising agreement with the township). However, my current setup cost nothing, in fact, Verizon gave me the first month of internet service for free.

I have the service in Plano, TX. They installed the ONT on the outside of the house, then a small battery backup in a bedroom closet. Most of the time, the battery backup will be in the garage but my services come in near the closet so I went for it. They break the phone lines from the existing copper wire and connect it to the ONT. They then ran a CAT5 wire to a bedroom, and put a real ethernet jack cleanly on the wall. They installed a D-LINK router that came with the service. It is $39/month for 15 meg down and 2 meg up. Installation and first month free.

Now, after connecting all the FIOS internet customers and the FIOS TV customers that ask for the service, they will go back and connect EVERY house to fiber. This is the 10 year plan. Maintainence on all the rotting and antiquanted copper costs millions of dollars a year. Ever seen all the Nitrogen bottles on street corners that run underground just to keep old lines dry?? The savings after 10 to 20 years will offset the cost of conversion of whole neighborhoods to fiber.

My area is listed for Fios in 3-7 years. Long before then, DISH will have all the Voom channels and probably all the HD I'd care to see. And I'll have a 962 MPEG-4 HD DVR or similar. I'd still dump it all for Fios, assuming a cost savings (or parity), except for one thing: I use a portable satellite dish while travelling with my camper, and at the place I keep it. Since I'd lose that with Fios, it'd have to be one big price break for me to consider it. Not many of us in this boat, I know. Since I'm happy with my ISP (Speakeasy) I doubt that I'd even get the non-video Fios services. Once you drop your copper, you cannot go back. You're a captive Verizon customer then, as are those that follow you in that house. And they don't need to share that fiber, although I hear rumblings that they will.

How many percent of the country can get Fios? 5-10% I filled out the form on Verizons website and it can't even find my address and I live in Hollywood, CA. So I guess it will not come soon here.

pederb said:
How many percent of the country can get Fios? 5-10% I filled out the form on Verizons website and it can't even find my address and I live in Hollywood, CA. So I guess it will not come soon here.
FiOS is currently available in a very small number of towns. Keller/Plano Tx, some NYC suburbs, Washington DC, Huntington Beach CA, and Tampa FL are probablly the "hottest" areas with another 1/2 dozen areas/states in the works. Relative to the entire Verizon servicable area, the FiOS footprint is a drop in the bucket.

Verizon will have 10% of the homes in its territory passed by the end of 2005. This is remarkable considering they started this year.

Ilya said:
Way to go VERIZON! Bring it on!
If FiOS was available in my area, I would switch without any hesitation and pay the early termination fee on my current contract! :up

Me too. I'd sell my current Dish set with no reserve on eBay. :D

There are serious credibility issues with these claims. It sounds more like someone's wishlist. Perhaps they will pick up the Voom HD nets, but who cares? Rainbow is willing to give that crap to anyone who will carry it. Verizon can't even get their programming deals completed with the likes of Disney, Viacom & Fox. And there is no way In Demand is going to provide anything exclusive to Verizon--In Demand is owned by Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Cox.

And NFL is tied-up with DirecTV on an exclusive basis. Period.

MidtownTVguy said:
There are serious credibility issues with these claims. It sounds more like someone's wishlist. Perhaps they will pick up the Voom HD nets, but who cares? Rainbow is willing to give that crap to anyone who will carry it. Verizon can't even get their programming deals completed with the likes of Disney, Viacom & Fox. And there is no way In Demand is going to provide anything exclusive to Verizon--In Demand is owned by Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Cox.

you might want to check your fact they have signed with disney

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=646578&postcount=2

MidtownTVguy said:

Your only right about Voom being willing to give away the Voom21 suite. Other than that your shall we say way off. Now what makes you so sure that Verizon doesn't have deals in place today (not announced) with Viacom. Now I say this because unlike your statement Verizon does indeed have an official press release stating that they have a deal in place with Disney right now which covers all Disney channels including both ABC and ESPN. I can also say that as of Friday afternoon Verizon now has a deal with Fox in place and you will hear about this most likely on Monday. A press released also stated that Fox was about 99% done on their contract with Verizon. Now all that is left is Viacom and nothing official is out on this but I can indeed say that they are 90+% done and you will hear about the Viacom deal on a Verizon press release within the next week to two weeks. You can mark my words on this. So the only player they don't officially have today is Viacom unlike the bad information you just stated because you didn't bother to check a Verizon website.

Now your second rant about InHD happens to be one of the deals that Verizon has in place just not announced and in case you wanted to know Verizon payed a package deal for all InDemand based offerings and yes they paid more for InHD than DirecTV or Dish wanted to pay. Again they decided to pay the piper instead of pissing around and guess what they are still cheaper or at least no more expensive offering way more.

Now your third rant about InDemand not allowing Verizon todo this HDTV stuff should be answered as follows. Verizon will foot nearly all the bills for this. InDemand would be doing very little (very few expenses) while both getting money from Verizon and the HDTV feeds free for their sports package customers. They will also expand the InHD sports offerings which only increases their subscribers and this results in more companies paying the piper. What you fail to understand about companies is that they feel one way today and another tommorrow depending on which way the money flows. If InDemand can get more money by doing this compared to trying to make it exclusive they will. Also keep in mind that Verizon, DirecTV and Dish Network were all interested in taking InDemand to court over the unfair pricing of InHD. Now keep in mind that InDemand would lose this case and would have to pay all the court costs and a settlement for lost customers due to these practices. Now facter in the wallets you have going against you and who those wallets know in high places.

Again if you had access to the information I and others on here know you would have a much better understanding about future issues and plans.

Now onto your last rant about DirecTV never allowing the cable companies to have NFL Sunday ticket I'll answer below.

You are partly correct in that yes DirecTV won't ever allow cable companies to have access to NFL Sunday Ticket. Now your wrong in thinking that DirecTV won't sell other cable companies the right to NFL Sunday Ticket. Again you must understand the difference between access and paying because they mean very two different things. You also must keep in mind this viewpoint below.

What if DirecTV starts losing NFL Sunday Ticket customers. What if the price point greatly slows new customers getting this package. As we know DirecTV uses this package to try and get new DirecTV customers and they pretty much lose money on the package hoping to make it up in two years because they buy other DirecTV programming. Now again lets say they aren't getting new customers and they are losing customers. Now as we know this is a bad and wicked combo to have considering how you make money with this package. So if DirecTV accepts that they can't gain more new directv customers with this package why wouldn't they consider selling the package to other providers to make up their losses. The feeds are on satellites so DirecTV doesn't have any extra costs at all so any money they make is pretty much pure profit and I'm sure both CBS and Fox will get some of that money.

Again in the past DirecTV could make more short and long term money by being the only company to offer it but times have and do change and this is one of them. They can't continue to lose money so they must try something. Again if by having this package to themselves doesn't give them the advantage anymore why wouldn't they sell the package and make money that way.

I know I keep repeating myself but again until you understand that money and politics are everything in this business you will never have a clue unless people set you straight.

Now with all this said please do not take this the wrong way but next time trying looking at things from the point of view of what a company might do in certain situations before you start saying to someone (who by the way does have contacts at News Corp, DirecTV and Verizon and in many cases has proven himself) that what they say will never happen.

When all this happens and occurs I'll just be glad to know that I was right and that consumers might actually benefit from something for once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)