make a c band just for kicks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

english2fourth

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
city of the angels cali
i just played with my ku band dish that i got from a garbage can, and it is getting great stuff...i move the lnb around the sat band, and saw that i could add others without too much difficulty, so...i read craklincrotch's post:

I just set up the Winegard 1M with a cheapy Panorama C-Band LNB to see what I'd get, yesterday. The nets are JUST watchable, so I picked up a BSC421 on fleabay today to see what improvement I'd get. If all goes well, good bye sub.

I wonder if i could put a cband on a dish and get something...what do you all think? if i got a 1.8 meter, do you think i could pull some c bands> thanks as always for the greatness of this board, and the greatness of the hobby

1.8 meter is about 70 inches which is to my tired brain, tonight, 6 feet. Therefore yes, that is usually concidered a minimum nornal C band size. Gopher it. (go for it)! {{If my fingers were not so dyslexic I would type it right the first time -- of course, this room has no heat in it yet so the indoor temp is a little over 50°. }}

Last edited:
i just played with my ku band dish that i got from a garbage can, and it is getting great stuff...i move the lnb around the sat band, and saw that i could add others without too much difficulty, so...i read craklincrotch's post:

I just set up the Winegard 1M with a cheapy Panorama C-Band LNB to see what I'd get, yesterday. The nets are JUST watchable, so I picked up a BSC421 on fleabay today to see what improvement I'd get. If all goes well, good bye sub.

I wonder if i could put a cband on a dish and get something...what do you all think? if i got a 1.8 meter, do you think i could pull some c bands> thanks as always for the greatness of this board, and the greatness of the hobby

Just so you're aware, I'm feeling brave enough and strong enough today to order a 6' c-band dish. Got the wife flowers, four wine kits, and gave her cash to get her hair cut and colored this weekend. I don't think there's much else I can do but order it and see what happens. :)

Being on the northern east coast the 1M just isn't big enough to get what I want. But World Harvest on G16 @ 99W gives me about 70%Q and the WB feeds give me 77%Q on the Coolsat with that dish. But the nets just aren't there enough for me. And a actuator will get me just about anything else there is.

Just so you're aware, I'm feeling brave enough and strong enough today to order a 6' c-band dish. Got the wife flowers, four wine kits, and gave her cash to get her hair cut and colored this weekend. I don't think there's much else I can do but order it and see what happens. :)

What kind of dish are you getting?

Before you buy a new dish I have a home made scaler ring design that another tester named walrus from another site made. This design will improve your signal strength big time. and will cost about $5 to play with. I will try to find the dimentions of the rings. I made the rings out of thin baking trays from the dollar store.

Attachments

• triple cone.jpg
    triple cone.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 273
This is some of the dimentions you'll need to play with your mini bud. Trust me it really works for the small dishes. Hats off to the maker walrus.

Refereing to the photo showing the three cut outs of one small, one medium and one large ring. This wasn't the optimum performing scaler but was second best. To fabricate this scaler lay out a sheet of tin and draw two concentric circles, cut out the inner and outer circle with a scissor and slit the tin to open the inner circle. Wrap the ring tightly around the neck of the LNB and use a small piece of aluminum tape to hold the ring together. Space the rings 15 mm apart with the smallest ring positioned at the very edge of the waveguide. cle, 140 Here are the demensions for the three rings:

Small- 90mm inside circle diameter, 140mm outside
Medium- 90mm inside circle diameter, 200mm outside
Large- 90mm inside circle diameter, 260mm outside

megaphone!

scaler looks like megaphone! so do the dimensions need to be precise? also, how to attach to the cband lnb and have the ku lnb on board? looks like the six foot, but smaller would be nice!!! that way the motor would be faster. or more magic board ku lnbs on the c, but that might distort...comments?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)