IS THIS POSSIBLE????????????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvwatchingdude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
I have one coaxial cable coming from my FTA dish into a Viewsonic FTA box. Can i take that coaxial cable, put it in a splitter, and buy another box. This way I will be able to watch fta programming independently on two different tv's. For example one of my family members can watch one channel on one tv, while i watch a different channel on another tv?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I don't know

Hmm, I don't know about that but I once tried the loop out on my boxes and that worked...

Edited, went back and tried that again and nope it ain't going to work like that..
How I did that the 1st time, I ain't sure!

Last edited:
I have one coaxial cable coming from my FTA dish into a Viewsonic FTA box. Can i take that coaxial cable, put it in a splitter, and buy another box. This way I will be able to watch fta programming independently on two different tv's. For example one of my family members can watch one channel on one tv, while i watch a different channel on another tv?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I would say no.
Splitting the SAT signal will reduce the signal to each FTA box.

In addition, If one FTA box wants to tune into a Horizontal feed while the other box wants to tune into a Vertical feed, then who wins?

One box might fry the other box. :eek:

What you need is a dual output lnbf, and a 3x4 multiswitch ( which acts like a splitter , for your purpose). You can then take 2 cables from the dual output lnbf to the switch inputs, and a cable to each receiver from the switch outputs, and you'll have the configuration you want. It supports 4 receivers. Splitters are not generally used in satellite applications, but multiswitches take their place.
:)

The only way you could split the signal and get both polarities on both boxes would be to use a stacked LNB and a high frequency (2ghz) splitter. Voltage-switching LNBFs don't play well with splitters. Or, you can do as Brent suggested and use a dual-output LNBF with optional multiswitch (use the multiswitch if you need more than 2 receivers).

The loop out works only when all the boxes want the same polarity from the same satellite.

keeping it simple

If you replace your existing LNB with a dual-output LNB, you can certainly follow that up with a 2x4 (or 3x4) multiswitch, as Brent suggested.
That will in fact let you connect up to four receivers.
However since you only asked to hook up two receivers...
... the two outputs of the dual-output LNB can simply be connected to both receivers.

thanks for the great info guys!

If you replace your existing LNB with a dual-output LNB, you can certainly follow that up with a 2x4 (or 3x4) multiswitch, as Brent suggested.
That will in fact let you connect up to four receivers.
However since you only asked to hook up two receivers...
... the two outputs of the dual-output LNB can simply be connected to both receivers.

Thanks for the great info guys, but im a bit confused. I have 3 dishes. One is pointed at 30w the other at 97w and the other at 123 w. All these dishes have a dual output lnb.

I want to have the multiswitch for 4 recievers, is this possible?

How would i connect all 3 dishes which have a dual lnb to the multi switch so that i could watch all the programming from the 3 dishes at 4 separate locations independently of one another.

Also is it possible on the dish i have pointing at 97w which is a globecast dish, to put a dual lnb adapter on that same dish to pick up programming from 95w?
So basically on one globecst dish i can watch both 97w and 95w programming, and both 97w and 95w having a dual lnb.

Thanks so much in advance!:D

You need 2 multi-switches (maybe 1 @ 4x4 or 5x4 and 1 @ 2x4 or 3x4; or even better 2 @ 4x4 or 5x4 multi-switches), then a 2x1 or 4x1 diseqc switch for each receiver.
And yes it is possible to attach another dual lnbf for another satellite, usually you would do a 4 degree or more spacing, but some people have luck with 2 degree spacing. So, that's a possible and hopefully a yes....?

There are a number of ways to accomplish your new switching request.
Some are shown in the Switches Simplified thread in the FAQ department.
However, the drawing Sadoun linked above, is exactly what you asked for and the easiest to use solution.

It even allows for use of Universal LNBs in addition to Standard and DBS LNBs.
Really is the best answer for this problem.

edit: as for the 2° spacing, it would depend on the dish and the LNBs.
Dishes with long focal lengths are more useful for this problem.
I doubt the Globecast would be suitable.
Then, the diameter of the LNBs is a factor; smaller ones can be placed closer together.

I would be looking for a place to put a new dish . . . ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)