Making VLC work with TsReader and My Theater

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wholeshoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
How do I get VLC to play video from my USB box? I tried setting up My Theater to boradcast to a network connection and then tried to point VLC there but I had no success.

Please enlighten me and point to in the right diresction.

Possibly I need to stream to a file?

Wholeshoe

Don't know about My Theater but these are the instructions for TSReader:
TSReader Support Page
What are the steps to stream over a network using TSReader and VLC?

Let's imagine your PC with the card running TSReader has an IP address of 1.2.3.4 and the computer you want to stream to is 4.3.2.1.

Launch VLC on 1.2.3.4, click on File/Open File. Check the Stream Output option and then click the Settings... button.
On the next dialog, check UDP output and set the IP address to 4.3.2.1. Set the port to 1235 (port 1234 will probably be used by TSReader to VLC communications).
You'll notice the Destination Target field now has this in it:
:sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,url=4.3.2.1:1235}}

Copy this onto the clipboard and close VLC (cancel all the dialogs).
Launch TSReader. Click on Settings/VLC... On the next dialog click the + button so you're looking at item #2. Set the description to something like Stream to Network and then set the Command field to <IP> followed by the command-line from VLC. You should have this:
<IP> :sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,url=4.3.2.1:1235}}

Make sure the VLC path is set right and that the option to control VLC is checked.
Close that dialog, click on the PMT entry you want to stream and then click Playback/VLC and choose the Stream to Laptop.
Your router will now light up like a Christmas tree!
Go to the other computer (4.3.2.1) and launch VLC. Select File/Open Network Stream. Make sure the UDP/RTP option is checked and the port is set to 1235. Make sure the Stream Output option is NOT checked.
Hit OK and you should be rewarded with video and audio.
You now may want to experiment with the Stream Output settings. For example you can check the audio and video transcode options and reduce a high-bandwidth MPEG-2 stream into an MPEG-4 stream to send over the Internet. Obviously lots of bandwidth and fast processors on both ends are required to make this reliable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts