Managing iOS Devices at Work

EarDemon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2014
USA
For whatever reason I was never responsible for company issued phones and tablets before. Even though I would imagine most IT departments in other companies are. It was always the responsibility of department managers to request theses through our purchasing department and configure them. Now over the course of the past year I’ve been handling more and more issues related to these things. Our field service reps get iPhones and our field sales reps get both iPhones and iPads. Managers of other departments typically have just phones, but a few have tablets as well. All in all there are roughly 40 iPhones and 15 wifi only iPads. Problem is employees will marry or synch company issued devices to their personal iCloud/iTunes (are these the samething) account, and not unmarry them when they leave the company, and I cannot reset the device back to factory settings. So far I’ve submitted three unlock requests with Apple, which took about a month each to be resolve and I’m still battling resetting these things.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences on trying to centrally manage iThings in a corporate environment? I toyed with the idea of setting up a generic apple@domain.com email address in our Exchange and set up all phones and tablets from this point forward with that address, but after researching doing that it appears there’s something called an iMessage that can be used and if someone sends one of these things for whatever reason everyone would see that since everyone would be logged in as the same users and I’d rather not deal with the potential drama this would cause.

Normally I’m pretty sharp with this stuff, but I think I’d have better luck learning a foreign language instead of attempting to comprehend the world of Apple.

I use Apple device management program and Meraki Systems Manager. It is free for up to 100 devices. We have Meraki network equipment, so it was a natural fit. There are other MDM servers out there. You don't have to use Meraki.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts