Manhattan RC-1978 HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Market share... Manhattan is a NA set top box distributor with authorized resellers. If Manhattan is out of stock on the 1997 model, what do they distribute? Nothing. If the Manhattan authorized resellers are out of stock on the 1997, what will they sell? Another brand.

Okay, thank you for that clarification... That clears it up for me... So, I'm assuming then they are putting out a new system that maybe has an upgraded chip-set that may add things like h.265, but software and all remains relatively unchanged only taking advantage of what ever chip-sets are currently available at a cheap price to quickly put out a new unit with new inventory with relatively low additional costs...

I'm not discouraging, I'm just wondering why they bother putting out something that already exists? The LinkBox is a legitimate system. So are the Amiko Units and the GeoSatPro receivers etc... So, why make yet another one that doesn't do anything new?? I'm not arguing the fact that the mainstreamers are okay with simple units, but isn't the market already flooded with legitimate SIMPLE units???

My sentiments almost to a T....Except, I'll go a bit further. I would be thrilled to have a unit that can atleast RUN a normal 4 x 1 Diseq!. The X2 could barely and eventually croaked pwr-wise with only the offer of "Send it back, pay more. Next model BETTER" and then get zero response from X2. Of the 20 dollar units, one fried at first unboxing, and the Fat's LNB power circuit croaked about 4 weeks after arrival (all I'm running is A C/Ku feedhorn). The Freesat V8S worked the DISEQ only ONCE after the latest firmware being totally unresponsive previously. NOW, it won't switch ports. The only unit that continues to function with the diseq is my ancient Viewsat. The 4 x1 works on it perfectly although being a DVB-S-only box (and having a clunky icremental blind search),

Wisb I had back my old Turkish-made STB. Forget the name BUT it worked flawlessly. China just builds CRAP that promises, wink-wink, theft of programming then CALLS we the consumer stupid.Someone build me a GOOD SOLID, LONG-Lasting receiver and I'd pay 200 for it!

My sentiments almost to a T....Except, I'll go a bit further. I would be thrilled to have a unit that can atleast RUN a normal 4 x 1 Diseq!. The X2 could barely and eventually croaked pwr-wise with only the offer of "Send it back, pay more. Next model BETTER" and then get zero response from X2. Of the 20 dollar units, one fried at first unboxing, and the Fat's LNB power circuit croaked about 4 weeks after arrival (all I'm running is A C/Ku feedhorn). The Freesat V8S worked the DISEQ only ONCE after the latest firmware being totally unresponsive previously. NOW, it won't switch ports. The only unit that continues to function with the diseq is my ancient Viewsat. The 4 x1 works on it perfectly although being a DVB-S-only box (and having a clunky icremental blind search),

Wisb I had back my old Turkish-made STB. Forget the name BUT it worked flawlessly. China just builds CRAP that promises, wink-wink, theft of programming then CALLS we the consumer stupid.Someone build me a GOOD SOLID, LONG-Lasting receiver and I'd pay 200 for it!
Try a different Diseq switch,my V7 didn't like the one I was using with my Coolsat 5k.Dug a different one out of the junk box and it's been working fine.

Checking in (one of the people actually working on the development of the RC-1978 receiver for Manhattan-Digital). An advance air shipment has arrived, providing enough units for dealers to test out and a lucky few early adopters that are in the loop. A full ocean shipment should be available by the 2nd week of February.
The RC-1978 was named to honor Robert Britt Cooper Jr (Bob Cooper), who should get the credit for starting the home satellite industry with a profile in TV Guide magazine in 1978, and the rest is history.
I have spent the last several days putting the receiver through its paces, and like the models RS-1933 and DJ-1997 before it, there are always little things that need improving, which is why we are not doing a general release until that ocean shipment, giving us some time to tweek software as required. My first impressions are extremely positive overall, and will comment that with the new processor (no this is not a cheap run-of-the-mill unit), we are getting results to be expected for a middle of the pack receiver--and more. It is faster in response, and menus are pretty user friendly once you are exposed to them. Picture quality is among the best that I have seen from ANY free to air receiver. I am working without the benefit of a channel editor right now, which is one of the drawbacks of being first with something. We could wait months for the Chinese to perfect the software, or we could accept something that has no mechanical issues and otherwise meets our requirements, with the ability to refine operation with software updates as improvements are made. The history of the Ali chipset used on the RS-1933 was that it was abandoned by the manufacturer by the time we wanted to make another run in 2012, so had to make do with what we named the DJ-1997, which may have been a step backward on the satellite side, with 70 IP channels available at first. Tweeks were made and we got 400 channel capacity IP coupled with about 3500 satellite channels. Since that time, very little noteworthy has come out of China in R & D, although you will find your bargain miniature units that sometimes work and sometimes do not. I find that there are many factories in China copying each other, and overall there is nothing really new. The Manhattan RC-1978 should change that, and it is only an intermediate receiver for the bulk of the market. They are claiming 10000 satellite channels and 3000 IP channel capacity. It does have H265 video. Also a strong IP section that includes You Tube, weather and game applications, with outstanding video and audio response as well as quick no-hiccup response from the remote control section. You can speculate all that you want about specifications with the knowledge of a Monday morning quarterback about what is already on the market, but should have no reason to be negative about anything without actually seeing one. I'll stake my reputation that this model will be a success after its introduction, simply because it provides everything and more that average users want and need, at a very reasonable price. If you want to learn more, drop me an Email at globalcm@mhtc.net
We are even taking advance orders for those so inclined.
Now for the 4K unit and where is it?
The FCC auction has put a monkey wrench in development of our television distribution system. LG and Samsung seem to have the keys to getting ATSC 3.0 tuners to market, and we do not expect to see any 3.0 devices actually available before July. Manufacturers are in a waiting game to see how fast the deployment of these tuners actually is, and there is equal caution and confusion from the broadcaster side. Jeff Schumann has a question to pose to all of you.

Would you buy a 4K unit now, without a 3.0 tuner? Would you accept one now with an ATSC 1.0 tuner that would work for today's TV system, knowing that you would have to wait possibly 6 months or more for a receiver with either a 3.0 tuner or better yet a hybrid 3.0 and 1.0 TV tuner in a future version? Buying a receiver in the near term that is equipped for only ATSC 1.0 video means that you would have to purchase a 3.0 tuner later. There will be moderate cost 1.0/3.0 standalone boxes at some point, as well as standalone 3.0 boxes at some point. When do you plan on purchasing a 4K receiver, which we can have available in a few short weeks, provided that a consensus is made on what TV tuner to supply? Or should we produce a 4K unit at first with NO ATSC television tuner section, and concentrate on Internet only or combo satellite/Internet 4K box? Please comment here and also get back to Jeff at contact phone or Email found on www.manhattan-digital.net

Sincerely,
Mike Kohl Global Communications Montfort, WI
EMail globalcm@mhtc.net

If it's stable as the last few "favorites" (microhd/Amiko mini) and can do better in menu speed, remote control agility, and does half of what Mike said (above) I'll end up giving one a home and a good workout on a multi- Birdview and Channel master dish farm with plenty of switches, and enjoy it immensely. First things first, time for me to upgrade dish movers to the Titanium...so EVERYTHING is ready for a new receiver when the time comes. This one sounds VERY interesting to me.

Reactions: Lehman bud farm
I'm excited got a unit to test out today :)

Props to Jeff for investing time and resources to bring over a STB.

Since we muddied the waters up here with 2 different receivers which one did you receive?
I hear Jeff had some sample 4k units but is not disclosing much of what they can or can not do yet.

Checking in (one of the people actually working on the development of the RC-1978 receiver for Manhattan-Digital). An advance air shipment has arrived, providing enough units for dealers to test out and a lucky few early adopters that are in the loop. A full ocean shipment should be available by the 2nd week of February.
The RC-1978 was named to honor Robert Britt Cooper Jr (Bob Cooper), who should get the credit for starting the home satellite industry with a profile in TV Guide magazine in 1978, and the rest is history.
I have spent the last several days putting the receiver through its paces, and like the models RS-1933 and DJ-1997 before it, there are always little things that need improving, which is why we are not doing a general release until that ocean shipment, giving us some time to tweek software as required. My first impressions are extremely positive overall, and will comment that with the new processor (no this is not a cheap run-of-the-mill unit), we are getting results to be expected for a middle of the pack receiver--and more. It is faster in response, and menus are pretty user friendly once you are exposed to them. Picture quality is among the best that I have seen from ANY free to air receiver. I am working without the benefit of a channel editor right now, which is one of the drawbacks of being first with something. We could wait months for the Chinese to perfect the software, or we could accept something that has no mechanical issues and otherwise meets our requirements, with the ability to refine operation with software updates as improvements are made. The history of the Ali chipset used on the RS-1933 was that it was abandoned by the manufacturer by the time we wanted to make another run in 2012, so had to make do with what we named the DJ-1997, which may have been a step backward on the satellite side, with 70 IP channels available at first. Tweeks were made and we got 400 channel capacity IP coupled with about 3500 satellite channels. Since that time, very little noteworthy has come out of China in R & D, although you will find your bargain miniature units that sometimes work and sometimes do not. I find that there are many factories in China copying each other, and overall there is nothing really new. The Manhattan RC-1978 should change that, and it is only an intermediate receiver for the bulk of the market. They are claiming 10000 satellite channels and 3000 IP channel capacity. It does have H265 video. Also a strong IP section that includes You Tube, weather and game applications, with outstanding video and audio response as well as quick no-hiccup response from the remote control section. You can speculate all that you want about specifications with the knowledge of a Monday morning quarterback about what is already on the market, but should have no reason to be negative about anything without actually seeing one. I'll stake my reputation that this model will be a success after its introduction, simply because it provides everything and more that average users want and need, at a very reasonable price. If you want to learn more, drop me an Email at globalcm@mhtc.net
The FCC auction has put a monkey wrench in development of our television distribution system. LG and Samsung seem to have the keys to getting ATSC 3.0 tuners to market, and we do not expect to see any 3.0 devices actually available before July. Manufacturers are in a waiting game to see how fast the deployment of these tuners actually is, and there is equal caution and confusion from the broadcaster side. Jeff Schumann has a question to pose to all of you.

Would you buy a 4K unit now, without a 3.0 tuner? Would you accept one now with an ATSC 1.0 tuner that would work for today's TV system, knowing that you would have to wait possibly 6 months or more for a receiver with either a 3.0 tuner or better yet a hybrid 3.0 and 1.0 TV tuner in a future version? Buying a receiver in the near term that is equipped for only ATSC 1.0 video means that you would have to purchase a 3.0 tuner later. There will be moderate cost 1.0/3.0 standalone boxes at some point, as well as standalone 3.0 boxes at some point. When do you plan on purchasing a 4K receiver, which we can have available in a few short weeks, provided that a consensus is made on what TV tuner to supply? Or should we produce a 4K unit at first with NO ATSC television tuner section, and concentrate on Internet only or combo satellite/Internet 4K box? Please comment here and also get back to Jeff at contact phone or Email found on www.manhattan-digital.net

Sincerely,
EMail globalcm@mhtc.net

Saw you mentioned Bob Cooper. How is he these days? Is he still in New Zealand? I haven't heard anything of him since he was on the SatTalk show that you did with Ralf Black. I would love to have a copy of that show, should have saved the MP3 when Ralf had it on an archive.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Sincerely,
EMail globalcm@mhtc.net
The RC prefix covers a lot of people in the sat business. Bob Cooper, Rick Caylor and Robert Coleman. The last being my hometown hero who will not give up a dish even though I counted 12 on his property and does not use any of them anymore!

Reactions: fred555
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)