Manhattan RS-1933 Thread

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Has anyone other than Brent received their receiver? How is it working for you? I may pick up one of these for my bedroom set. Right now I only have a SD receiver in there.

Well, after downloading and reading the owner's manual for the Openbox S9 and S10, I can see one important difference: The Manhattan RS-1933 doen't have an RS-232 serial port for software loading and recovery. The Openbox S9 and S10 do, and a recovery utility for use with a PC is readily available for download.

I am planning on buying a DVB-S2 / MPEG4 capable receiver next month, and it looks like it will be an S10 from a USA eBay seller with good feedback for me.

I have S10 for the best bang for the buck consumer STB i have ever tried. It's very sensitive, blind scans fast and doesn't lock up on.

Last edited:
I have S10 for the best bang for the buck consumer STB i have ever tried. It's very sensitive, blind scans fast and doesn't lock up on.
I agree with you . The S9 shortcomings are not important to me, but the receiver is a pleasure to work with. I'm hoping the Manhattan is at least as good ( early trials make me think it is) , and having one to control my Cband dish, and one to control my Ku band dish, I'd be happy.

Well, after downloading and reading the owner's manual for the Openbox S9 and S10, I can see one important difference: The Manhattan RS-1933 doen't have an RS-232 serial port for software loading and recovery. The Openbox S9 and S10 do, and a recovery utility for use with a PC is readily available for download.

RS-232 is old school technology. There are many computer designs that can recover from a bad bios flash by using the usb port from a cold start. No reason this wouldn't be in a newer receiver design and that the recovery software is yet to be released. The Manhattan has only been in the hands of a few people a matter of hours.

I'm in no immediate hurry.
I can wait and give the Manhattan a little time to fix any initial bugs, should it have some.
AZbox will have out their new model.
And SatelliteAV may have released his by Thanksgiving (?)
The S9 and S10 are maturing well.
So, a Christmas purchase could offer lots of choices! - :up

I just received a new firmware file for the Manhattan RS-1933, from Jeff Schumann, at Manhattan-Digital. The firmware is supposed to prevent uploading incorrect firmware into the RS-1933 . Once I get my stb back from repair, I'll test the file, and if it works okay, I'll upload it to the Factory Firmware area . Anyone who wants to try it out prior to my uploading it to the firmware section, PM me with your email and I'll send it to you, untested by me . :)
"Enclosed is a file that will not allow you to load any miss-files onto the
RS-1933.
Only LRMJ02 files! Which are pertinent to this machine.

It will also display the video format (480, 720, 1080, etc.) on the channel
listing.

It should be loaded when you get your machine back, but check and make sure.

You can list this on the forums if you want.
Jeff Schumann "

Last edited:
RS-232 is old school technology. There are many computer designs that can recover from a bad bios flash by using the usb port from a cold start. No reason this wouldn't be in a newer receiver design and that the recovery software is yet to be released. The Manhattan has only been in the hands of a few people a matter of hours.

I hope they can make recovery from USB work. The ability to recover from a "bricked" state is critical to the success of any FTA STB. We do like to play with our toys, and sometimes we break them.

Jeff Schumann says that they already have that software in hand, but haven't tested it thoroughly, and probably won't approve it for public distribution ( my words) , but use it as a support tool for people in need, better than having to ship back a receiver( again , my words ). Still, if it works, and it's available upon necessity from the support site, by download, THAT would be a good thing. :)

Any update on the Manhattan? This is one I am interested in and depending on the reviews am considering one to replace my AZbox which has started doing goofy things lately.

I just dont want to spend $200 on one to find out I am a beta tester and that the features we want are coming "soon"

Been there and done that on a number of boxes.

Thanks!

The one that I "customized" only arrived at the support site yesterday, so I don't expect it back here until next week sometime. Apparently no one else has one, or is not speaking until they've given it a thorough test. :) I suspect the original "official" beta testers are "staying mum" until they are free to report the status of the box. A little mysterious, but a little more time will clear up the questions.

Couldn't agree more, only problem is "someone" has to either purchase it (or get it as a demo). I'm so damn cheap it won't be me. :) On the other hand if it gets rave reviews I'd be the first in line.

Any update on the Manhattan? This is one I am interested in and depending on the reviews am considering one to replace my AZbox which has started doing goofy things lately.

I just dont want to spend $200 on one to find out I am a beta tester and that the features we want are coming "soon"

Been there and done that on a number of boxes.

Thanks!

Couldn't agree more, only problem is "someone" has to either purchase it (or get it as a demo). I'm so damn cheap it won't be me. :) On the other hand if it gets rave reviews I'd be the first in line.

I thought there were several SatelliteGuys that pre-ordered the receiver.

I bought a Manhattan elsewhere on the internet and posted a review there. Here is a C/P of my review.

I have owned a GeoSat Pro 1100c as my first FTA receiver, very good box. Then a OpenBox S-9 even better. Here are early observations after only a few hours of use, opinion subject to change. Most of the the evaluation is compared to the S-9.

First of all , I'll say I like this receiver a lot. However here are the bad points.
1) There is no USB download of the ch or settings for backup or editing that I could find.
2) Blind scan is a bit slower than the S-9. If this is your first receiver you probably wouldn't notice.
3) clock only has 24 hr. format. Not a big deal.
4)Slightly softer picture detail on all video formats except 1080i which is the most important and it rocks.
5) I could not find where you can input PIDS manually, even though there has been much talk about this.

The good points..
1) No lag between screen changes, especially the TP's that just drag on the S-9
2) Has polarity choice of H,V, or auto. Thank You.
3) Can output HDMI and SD simultaneously with no green tint.
4) the box is small, barely bigger than a library book.
5) Runs ice cold. No heat issues for this baby.
6) Can store 100 sats, Open Box only 64, and I needed more.

Deal breaker...for me.
NO SUPPORT FOR DISEQC 1.1 8 port Uncommitted switches.
I have 13 dishes and need to be able to cascade Diseqc 1.0, 1.1, 22k switches.
The OpenBox will do this in any sequence or combination.
Anyone with an advanced dish farm will need this feature.
I must admit I see after it was too late that the specs, both new and old state support for DiSEqC 1.0 with no mention of 1.1
I could have, or should have noticed this in the published specs.

Support for the older legacy SW-21 would also be nice. Would give a few more options in the switch cascade.

Conclusion...

If you only have a few dishes this receiver is for you. The faster menu/screen changes is nice.
If you have several dishes the 100 sat capacity is nice, but doesn't match with the lack of support for 8 port switches.

Last edited:
Nice review, I'm going to bet that Jeff Schumann will have 1.1 support in some later version. Have you emailed them at Manhattan-Digital ? It might start them up on it. :)
Thanks Pixl

Does this receiver blindscan DVB-S2 signals? that's my primary interest for wanting to get one (other than having a second receiver in my arsenal for H264 and AAC and AC-3 onboard decoding). The specs I saw didn't specially mention that DVB-S2 is blind searchable. If it does blindscan DVB-S2, is it only a whole satellite scan or can you pop in a frequency that you find on a spectrum analzyer and have it scan just that one frequency looking for a lock in DVB-S or DVB-S2? Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)