Manual changing of audio PID???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

delta_charlie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi all, anybody figured out how to change the audio PID on the AZBOX Elite?

I have a S2 sports feed locked that has more then one audio channel on the same TP. Some scan in as the audio for a video channel and others as radio.

Anyway to watch one of the video channels and listen to a different audio?

Thanks, DC

settings / tv channel / tuner a dvbs / advanced scan

near the bottom is PID edit.

When watching tv the yellow button brings up an audio list for that channel.

Hi Putney, thanks for the reply! I will give it a try later today. Another neat trick I want to try during the sporting feed that I'm interested in is some of the audio may be on a different TP but if it's on the same satellite and polarity I might be able to use my DVB-S receiver to play the audio. The DVB-S receiver is hooked up to the sound system so I should be able to mix both the audio from the TV channel by playing the audio on the TV and the audio channels on the sound system. Should be fun to play with. Got to run, DC

Huh! you just inspired me to use that technique to make some of the foreign channels on 97ºw entertaining.

I can watch some weird middle eastern channel while having the audio PID from Steve Wilko playing over it!
Could be like a bad Kung Fu dub! :):up

Hi all, it's working - at least the audio from one TP and the video from another. For it to work both must be on the same satellite and same polarity. The sporting feeds I have on has DVB-S2 video and DVB-S audio on the same satellite. The AXBox is hooked up to the the loopout on the Pansat 3500 so both receivers can lock any TP on the same polarity at the same time. This is so cool! It's like I'm there! BTW - I found the PID edit on the AZBox but could not get the PID to save. Will play with it some more. Take care, DC

I've done that a few times with radio channels. Edited the pids (or added a new channel) so it shows as a TV channel

KEXP on G18 I did that for a long time. SOme of the 97W stuff I've done that too. It is pretty funny to have English audio on an arabic channel :)

I guess if you're putting unrelated audio with video, this doesn't matter much, but the times that I've tried mixing from different sources, I've had issues with sync. The most recent time I tried this was several months ago, when that PBS mux appeared on AMC1 C-band, I noticed that on a couple programs, that they had some weird audio whereby you couldn't get all the dialog by listening to any of the multiple audio streams (I haven't noticed this recently, so hopefully they have abandoned that practice). Anyway, I was thinking that I could create a manual PID entry channel by using the audio from the SD channel on the same transponder, and mix that with the HD video. The sync was WAY off. At the time, I assumed that this was due to the difference in processing time for the HD signal vs the SD signal, ie perhaps the receivers use a bigger buffer and thus longer delay for HD. But on thinking more, I don't think that makes sense. I'm now wondering if perhaps I used the wrong PID for the PCR PID, and I'm wondering here what people who have done this sucessfully have done for the PCR PID?
I think that I used the PCR found in the HD video when I tried the above, however I'm wondering if perhaps it might have worked if I had used the PCR from the SD channel, or wouldn't it make any difference. Basically, I really don't understand what PCR is, and how it's used. Looking at a PCR PID with a binary editor, I think it seems to just be a counter, but I'm not sure if it's absolute time, or if it's just a non absolute counter that is just meaningful between the specific video and audio it's trying to sync? Ie can you really hope to sync up audio from 2 different sources using either PCR?
My suspicion, is that the PCRs are not absolute, but are counters that actually have relatively small maximum numbers before they recycle. The reason I think that, is that I once streamed video from one computer receiver to another computer, and used VLC to record that stream. I was recording a football game, and everything worked OK, until I decided to pause the recording at halftime to save space. What happened, was when I started recording again, the recording was hopelessly scrambled when I played it back. Everything was there, however it would replay the same half play 6 or 7 times, with the starting point progressing slightly each time until it caught up to where the starting point was after the original ending point, then it would go OK for a while, then start this over and over and over again thing on another play. It almost made you dizzy trying to watch it. I was really confused relative to what caused this, but it occurred to me that perhaps this was caused by the PCRs being confused by my having paused for 10 or 15 minutes.

Anyway, my main reason for this post is to see if anyone here can explain how PCR functions with respect to syncing audio and video, and how would this affect things like joining together audio and video that weren't meant to be together, and also how pausing a recording might affect the function of PCR?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts