Manual Tuning - Is This Normal?

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
While manually tuning (looking for new channels) I noticed the following channels tune to existing ones after changing the polarity setting. This has been the case since Day 1...just wondering if this is normal or if I have a problem with my dish?

OLN 328 ---> tunes to CNBC 410
CSPAN 405 ---> tunes to ESPNEWS 305
HBOW 204 ---> tunes to ESPN 303
MMAXW 226 ---> tunes to CNBS 410

Thanks,
Riff...<EOT>

Sean Mota said:
That's not normal. Put a service call to check the LNB.

The service has been working fine otherwise so I'm at a loss as to what I'm going to tell the CSR.

ME: "Hello, I would like to place a service call to repair a problem with my LNB."
CSR: "And what is the nature of your problem?"
ME: "Well, it works just fine...except when I manually tune channels."
CSR: "Then don't manually tune channels - problem solved!"

:D :eek: :shocked :D

Anyway, I have a service call schedule to intall an antenna on 2 July. I will bring up this issue at that time.

For my edification can you, or anyone for that matter, tell me why I am having this problem and how it may affect my reception? I have an 18" dish and it works pretty well...occasional rain fade issues, but only during thunderstorms.

Thanks again...<EOT>

riffjim4069 said:
While manually tuning (looking for new channels) I noticed the following channels tune to existing ones after changing the polarity setting. This has been the case since Day 1...just wondering if this is normal or if I have a problem with my dish?

OLN 328 ---> tunes to CNBC 410
CSPAN 405 ---> tunes to ESPNEWS 305
HBOW 204 ---> tunes to ESPN 303
MMAXW 226 ---> tunes to CNBS 410

Thanks,
Riff...<EOT>
Riff, this is normal. Nothing wrong with your equipment. This happens on every STB in all software versions. I think Sean misunderstood what you were saying. Read my post here for details. These channels share the same frequency but use different polarity. So, if you manually switch polarity throught the service menu, you will get a wrong channel!

(Note, that there is also a software bug in that "manual tune" menu that displays the wrong polarity if you enter that menu by pressing OK, but that is a different story...)

Don't play with the manual tuning unless you know what you are doing!!!! Or at least write down what you change so that you can change it back.

I know we all like to play, mess around, and see what happens, but I had the frequencies, polarity, FEC, and SR so messed up I had to do a Factory Reset to get it working right.

The other day I did an Authorization Reset, just to see what it would do. Talk about two hours of being scared to death!!!! It took 2 Factory Resets and a lot of waiting to get it back. With 100s being activated everyday it will take longer and longer to wait for your numbers to go through the stream.

bryan27 said:
Don't play with the manual tuning unless you know what you are doing!!!!
I second that! Although channel polarity seems to restore itself as soon as you change a channel, there is really no need to mess with it ;)

riffjim4069 said:
There is if you're trying to find hidden channels. ;)
Let us know if you find any :)

riffjim4069 said:
There is if you're trying to find hidden channels. ;) Anyway, thanks for all the replies - much appreciated !
I say keep hunting! and tell me if you find anything!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts