Many long time owned subs are finally leaving in droves/how to fix dish bag network

r10fret

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
FL

Some long time owned subs are fed up and finally leaving in droves / so how to fix the dish bag network to prevent further losses.

I have been a dish net sub since the beginning, we got our first 3000 model receiver from skyvision many moons ago and I installed it myself, had to have my dad activate it under his name until 1998, (this should tell you my age) now more than 12 or 15 years later we have always purchased all our own equipment and dishes; 4000, 3900, 301, 322, 211, 512, 612, 222. I also have had DIRECTV since 1998 for their Spanish package so I can make an accurate comparison. When you are a DIRECTV sub you do not spend your time worried on a daily basis about the next sudden upheaval, with a dish sub there is a real lack of confidence, you always have to wonder if the programming (and the technology of a 3 month old model 512 MPEG2 receiver) you just paid for will still be carried by the end of the monthly payment you just made. With DIRECTV other then the Versus issue, they have never had a single memorable falling out with a programmer like dish constantly has, the company seems very childish, in fact I think they are in their second or third childhood lately, lots of fools moves and steps backward, too much dragging their feet and a real lack of fairness to owned subs when it comes to forced technology changes from MPEG2 to MPEG4. If you own they should give you new owned replacements even if it is refurb with one year warranty.
Too many 10 year plus subs that own all their equipment and cost the company little to nothing to keep/maintain as subs are really fed up with the new extortion type additional receiver fees for purchased receivers and are tired of being raked over the coals to pay for all the flip flopper lease sub acquisitions of so called/supposed new subs. If you want the latest and greatest equipment like a 922 good for you, then you can pay for the privilege of dealing with all the bugs and vaporware promises, but for the rest of us who just want to watch tv we shouldn't have to pay for you chumpy's latest pipe dream that really has little to nothing to do with satellite delivered TV programming.?
list your 5 best recommendations to the company
#1 change the fee for each additional owned receiver to match DIRECTV at $5 per tuner, or $5 for single 211, 612 and $10 for duo 222, 722, charge whatever for the 922 royalties.
#2 allow 4 free downgrades a year for owned subs then $5 after that. Dish could actually make more money this way because it would actually allow subs to get a better package in the summer or a premium for a month or two at a time once in a while and not have to worry about being charged a fee when they are tired of the channel or don't need the additional programming to fill the holes in their viewing schedule. Let those in a lease type commitment that want to downgrade pay through their teeth to do it since they got a bunch of discounts and free equipment to start off with when they agreed to a certain level of programming.
#3 End childish programming disputes which represent mere pennies per subs increases, perhaps when a programmer is playing hardball we should have the option of paying the difference on an individual sub basis to keep the channels we want on the system.
#4 create an automatic sliding scale loyalty program for good standing long time subs, in other words get a $1 off a month for each year you have been with the company, 10 year subs get $10 off a month credit good towards additional receiver or dvr fees.
# 5 spell it all out clearly in a new updated RCA residential customer agreement, not one that is deliberately outdated and a misrepresentation of reality. Current RCA on dish website is legally a fraud!
Bonus recommendation Hire some delusional reality TV personalities, Heidi and Spencer types, to appear on the chumpy chats. These self promoters types will work for free just to be on the screen. At least with them you can laugh about how delusional and disconnected they are from the reality around them, unlike with Jim and Charlie who just make people mad and who insight you to throw your remote at the screen whenever they show they don't actually have the facts straight about their own company that they are supposedly in charge of.
I can almost see Chumpy and Jokey now turning on their own TVs at home to DIRECTV whenever they want to just sit down and enjoy some TV. That would actually explain how exactly they are so disconnected from the dim reality at dish network!?Bet they did their own DirecTV installs too, you know who, basically admitted it himself when he said he watched the WC in 3D. Gee, I wonder how he would have done that without Disney or DIRECTV at his house?

I don't plan on going anywhere and I am a...how did you put it..."long time owned sub"...
any proof subs are leaving in droves? Either many as you have in the title or some as you have in the first line of your post...

6 add MLB network
7 RSN HD full time + all over flow hd games or the Big city DMA RSN HD 24/7 with all games in HD for the other ones.

Iv'e had it for 1.5 years, and am just waiting for my contract to be up. Went from $64 per month to about $86 per month. The $64 was my regular price, and not the intro price. $22 is to much of an increase for me. Looking at cable and Direct, I can get more bang for my buck.
The other thing that really P'd me off, was I wanted 2 211 receivers when they came out to install, but I got talked into a 222 because of cheaper monthly payment. The 222 is my 2nd receiver, and now I want two 211's because with the new receiver fee's, it would work out as the same price. Of course they want quite a bit of money to do it. I told them that I would just wait until the end of my contract and go with one of the other providers. :confused:

Iv'e had it for 1.5 years, and am just waiting for my contract to be up. Went from $64 per month to about $86 per month. The $64 was my regular price, and not the intro price. $22 is to much of an increase for me. Looking at cable and Direct, I can get more bang for my buck.
The other thing that really P'd me off, was I wanted 2 211 receivers when they came out to install, but I got talked into a 222 because of cheaper monthly payment. The 222 is my 2nd receiver, and now I want two 211's because with the new receiver fee's, it would work out as the same price. Of course they want quite a bit of money to do it. I told them that I would just wait until the end of my contract and go with one of the other providers. :confused:

What plan did you have for $64/month and what package/# of receivers do you have?

The FEE GOUGE is giving E a bad name, in this economy a 30 buck a month increase is lunacy.

charlie chats should allow complaints lke it did in the begining, charlies addressing complaints helped make E what it became.

E should allow a lifetime DVR fee purchase, since it would lead to subs sticking better. pay 200 bucks and you will be invested in the service.

My comast is working great:)

The FEE GOUGE is giving E a bad name, in this economy a 30 buck a month increase is lunacy.

charlie chats should allow complaints lke it did in the begining, charlies addressing complaints helped make E what it became.

E should allow a lifetime DVR fee purchase, since it would lead to subs sticking better. pay 200 bucks and you will be invested in the service.

My comast is working great:)

You keep mentioning this 30 dollar increase. Mind if I ask the equipment you were using? If it was just receiver fees, you would have had to have 4 HD DUO DVR's for a 30$ increase. As they went from 7$ (12 if no phone line) to 17$. First receiver = free which would explain 30$ on an increase.

I'm asking because my bill went up by 12$ (AEP HD&Plat Multi-Sport 3 612 SoloDVR + DVR Fee which i had previously avoided with AEP)

any proof subs are leaving in droves?
there's no proof, but it seems like a lot more long time customers are grumpy about the receiver policy changes and maybe a combination of some of the june 3rd changes. Then throw in the economy and it's like a perfect storm of people being pushed into cutting back services and receivers.

my guess is that there will be a little more churn this year and then it will be back to normal after a few months. just a guess though.

Why can't we all just agree that both providers offer something for everyone?

In my case I'm paying $34.99 (no locals) for AT120 with HD Free. I have the 722K receiver with an OTA tuner (that DISH didn't charge me for) connected to two TV's with the second TV replicated on two others. It's more than enough and I can't get a deal even close to that good with other providers.

I don't doubt there are issues with both companies, but not everyone's experience is the same.

Moving to your other comments about subscribers leaving in droves...well, that's not even remotely accurate.

Here are the facts:
Q1 2010 (ending March 31, 2010) DISH added 237,000 new subscribers while DirecTV added 100,000

And going back three quarters, Dish has out-paced DirecTV by more than 2:1 (+727,000 subscribers to DirecTV's +355,000).

We'll see what happens in upcoming quarters (when the changes will be reflected), but there's no data to support "subs are finally leaving in droves" as you claim.

By the way I totally understand some people's frustrations with the fee increases. I'm just saying it's not a situation that everyone is experiencing. Hopefully DISH makes some adjustments to their policies and/or allows receiver swaps to compensate.

I hope that DISH will see a loss of subs due to the additional receiver fees going through the roof. It is nothing but pure greed on Charlie 's part. The irony is that Charlie gets mad when DISNEY wants to gouge DISH and make them pay all over again for hd versions of the sd channels that DISH subs already pay for. I guess that its different for Charlie to do it as long as Charlie is doing the screwing. A large enough loss might make them reconsider their fee structure if the churn is up this last quarter.

I believe the reason Dish raised their rates on their additional receiver fees after the first receiver is basically their Duo receivers and Duo DVRs can operate 2 TVs so the fee went up along with the single receiver fees.Then Dish was able to drop the price on certain packages like America's Everything Package,where AT250 had an increase(twice) this year and last year.

Which makes America's Everything Package look like a really good deal.Especially when it's $14.99 cheaper than the competition.:D

I don't plan on going anywhere and I am a...how did you put it..."long time owned sub"...
any proof subs are leaving in droves? Either many as you have in the title or some as you have in the first line of your post...

Seems like a lot of long timers around here are switching, and these are the loyal folks. Normal people will jump a helluva a lot quicker.

BTW- Are you McSmashie on the Broncos forums?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts