Many long time owned subs are finally leaving in droves/how to fix dish bag network

I dont think you will see many people leaving, you will see many people downgrading their programming (myself included)

My bill would be going up over $50 a month just in equipment costs. So some cuts had to be made somewhere. I sure hope that DISH understands they screwed up here bigtime.

I have been thinking of writing some of the programmers such as HBO, Showtimes and Starz and telling them why I no longer subscribe to their channels. But havent done so yet.

Yes, I had two DUO receivers that were both running in Single mode for the PIP and convenience of switching tuners, but it wasn't worth $17 a month more, so I am now down to just a 622 feeding two TVs.

HD-For-Life saves me $10 a month as well, so Dish is getting $22 a month less from me these days.

But, I have to say, that gives me more space for HBO rather than less. Certainly True Blood is the best show on television at the moment, and the same was able to be said about Deadwood and Rome in the past (and the recent show Treme was pretty good too - excellent music throughout). Martin Scorcese's Boardwalk Empire that debuts this Fall, looks like another possible contender for that accolade.

By the way, I certainly agree with the OP that owned receivers should be exempt from the new receiver charge increases, and I think that Dish should have given all existing subs an exemption as well, since they paid one-time fees to obtain those leased receivers and did so with the understanding that there was only a $5-$6 monthly cost.

Charging to fix leased equipment also makes no sense.

Replacing discontinued owned equipment and then later terminating the agreement that allowed the replacements to retain the pricing of the discontinued equipment, is callous and reprehensible.

PS If you were to get a "It's a Wonderful Life" style look at the current world had Charlie never pulled a channel due to high costs, then everyone - whether Dish, cable or DirecTV - would be paying at least $20 a month more these days, maybe more...

Last edited:
yeah no duh! With satguys posting the oh so good news ;) I can at least prepare myself for when relatives call me with "why the hell did my dish bill go up $6?" and explain those 3 non DVR SD receivers you have for $5 are now $7 "just because"

You should convince them to go with D* their standard receivers as so much better.You don't have to press the INFO button all the time,the program's partial information is right at the top of the guide.:)

Unless there would be programming they would miss.;)

P.S. And you could make some referral money.:D

This has now just become a Dish vs. DirecTV thread. Should be moved to the war zone, just my opinion though...

Its a interesting one. As to which channel had the topless big boobs a bouncing I recored it, if I get time I will check. I was testing to see if record still worked, and it did which surprised me

My roomate remarked the actual programing channels were ones neither of us noticed before, one was retro something.......

They were presented in post #14 in this thread. RussTC3 did a good job. Dish is adding more subs than DirecTV.

That doesn't show churn of long time unhappy customers leaving. Dish always is happy to subsidize the new customers coming in, to keep those numbers looking good. We all know that.

And those numbers are BEFORE the major receiver price increases hit.

Those facts were prior to the disney dispute and prior to D*'s rolling out its Whole home DVR service. They were pushing it pritty hard this quarter. It would be intresting to see the numbers for this quarter (right now)

Also, who's to say that nobody's cooking the books? If dish cant be trusted with programming negotations, and even the goverment cant trust dish with Distant networks, who's to say that dish isnt intentionally cooking the books, or paying off the independent auditor. Fraud like that happens all the time... Look at Illinois past governers all in jail, or soon to be... George Ryan, and then the man known as Blogggggggoooooooo!!!!!!!!!! Just sayin, if it can happen there, it can happen anywhere.

The source I used also posted Churn.

DISH Network:
Fell from 1.83% to 1.4%

DirecTV:
Increased to 1.48% from 1.33%

It's true that those measured Q1 2010, but those are the only official numbers we have at the moment. We'll see what happens when Q2 numbers are reported.

You should convince them to go with D* their standard receivers as so much better.You don't have to press the INFO button all the time,the program's partial information is right at the top of the guide.:)
my dad is one of those "I hate change" type people. He is electronic illiterate so changing right now will take a lot of work to reteach him :)

Unless there would be programming they would miss.;)
Nah he's got AT250 for a few channels that arent in 200 like GAC..no HD right now

P.S. And you could make some referral money.:D
I know ;)

I've been a dish customer for a decade, and still can't find a reason to change. Guess I'll just have to stay and enjoy it.

Hey Randall let us know if Dish contacts you to try and win you back. I never wanted to leave, but did for certain programing that Dish refused to offer. It has almost been a year ago after better than 5 years of being a sub, I have never received one phone call, letter, etc. It just seems that they didn't give damn.

I received two phone calls and one letter. Throwing a years credit to come back from the calls and letter. Once I had told them I had already gotten a new provider, phone calls stopped.

I received two phone calls and one letter. Throwing a years credit to come back from the calls and letter. Once I had told them I had already gotten a new provider, phone calls stopped.

When I called to cancel, the CSR asked me twice if I had signed a contract with Directv. I told her yes and she just proceeded with the cancellation.

Yes, I had two DUO receivers that were both running in Single mode for the PIP and convenience of switching tuners, but it wasn't worth $17 a month more, so I am now down to just a 622 feeding two TVs....

I have one 722 and a 222. I wanted 2 211's at the time of my install, but took the 222 due less monthly fee. Now that they would be the same, because dish decided to change their mind, I could get two 211's, and have HD on a third T.V., and still be paying the same price, but of course, they want $200 to make the change. :rant:

My bill has went up over $20 a month in a year and a half, and I for one will be looking into Direct, or cable at the end of my contract.

priester68
"I'm not leaving and none of my friends that have Dish are leaving,"

Well -
I will be leaving (I'm on annual deal) and my two kids who have Dish are leaving too. What does that prove regarding the overall numbers - nothing.

I've had Dish starting with the BUD for about 16 years, kids about 10 and 8 respectively. I've had complaints before including the loss of DNS, buying new boxes every year and a half etc, but the loss of Disney / ESPN channels even for a short time is the final straw.

I cancelled today; I was a HD absolute customer, tired of being nagged about no MTV or BBCA etc... ABC Fam and Disney broke the camels back. I saved a lot on dish TV costs and the dvr is great but the cost of no cable internet pretty much killed the price.

As long as I have my HD absolute I will remain a happy and satisfied Dish customer.

The day they force me into another package is the day I cancel.

As long as I have my HD absolute I will remain a happy and satisfied Dish customer.

The day they force me into another package is the day I cancel.

Ditto.

Also, I noticed that D* offered HD For Life (like it was an original idea) after E* started it, and then D* introduced Whole House service (long after Dish's multi-room units and even well after the introduction of the sling). My question is: Does anyone copy innovations from companies that are going south?

Nothing against D* (other than that their advertising is so misleading that I question their integrity), but really get tired of people bashing someone for petty reasons. If you don't like a company, just don't do business with them - pretty simple.

and then D* introduced Whole House service (long after Dish's multi-room units and even well after the introduction of the sling).

multi room viewing is NOTHING like a dual tuner E* box. You're limited to that tuner with E*
With D* I could watch any program off any DVR in the house or watch whatever I want on my own reciever

bforce said:
This has now just become a Dish vs. DirecTV thread. Should be moved to the war zone, just my opinion though...

They're all like that now. I don't know why I ever bothered signing up here. Certainly not a place where people are made to feel welcome. Especially the way some of the staff behave.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts