Map Master or A4 Firmware Side Effects

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anony55

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
USA
I've had the A4 firmware and new maps on my 922 for around a week now. I have noticed a couple side effects. But since I did A4 firmware and the maps on the same day, it's hard to know if the side effects are a result of the maps or firmware.

Side Effect #1: Analog channels no longer have audio. I've tried the various settings in the audio setup screen, but still no audio. One thing to note though, the volume on my 922's remote is set to control the volume of an old AV receiver (that I don't even use anymore) instead of the variable volume of the 922. So it may be possible that the loading of firmware (or maps) could've set the volume to zero... but I really have no idea. DCII channels have normal audio.

Side Effect #2: This is a strange one, so here's a little background. I normally leave my 922 tuned to S1-120, which is the right sat & polarity for my slaved HTPC to be able to record Gunsmoke everyday on MeTV. But just in case I ever forget to move there, I have a Monday - Saturday timer set on the 922 for S1-120 from 11:45am to 1:15pm CST. I also have subbed to the MTV pack on X4, and I watch VH1 Classics there from time to time.

Now that you know all of that, here's the weirdness that happens almost daily...

The unit will be tuned to & displaying "S1 120", and then you look down later and it will be displaying X4 and whatever channel # that VH1 Classics is. At the same time, the HTPC is still showing MeTV. This means the dish is actually still on S1, but displaying X4. Now if you press the "Sat" button on the remote, X4 is already highlighted. Pressing OK takes it to X4. But if you highlight the S1 tile and choose OK the dish won't move (since it's already really there), and the front display will then be corrected to display S1.

So when it's on S1 but displaying X4, it actually knows that it's on S1 for dish moving purposes. But for whatever reason, it's just not displaying the correct information. Remember, the timer is for S1, not X4. And I'm not 100% sure, but I think the display may be changing when the timer is finished at 1:15pm. But I'm not at home at that time to see.

These are minor little quirks that are easy to live with. But I was wondering if anyone else had seen either of these side effects. If so, did you do both firmware and maps... or just maps... or just firmware.

Cheers

Side Effect #2: This is a strange one, so here's a little background. I normally leave my 922 tuned to S1-120, which is the right sat & polarity for my slaved HTPC to be able to record Gunsmoke everyday on MeTV. But just in case I ever forget to move there, I have a Monday - Saturday timer set on the 922 for S1-120 from 11:45am to 1:15pm CST. I also have subbed to the MTV pack on X4, and I watch VH1 Classics there from time to time.

This one is easy....
SES-01 is vertical; polarity same as S1-120
instead of going to S1-120 leave it on S1-01
your receiver is taking hits from H2H and their setup shows any item capable of taking a hit from them to make your receiver think it is on X4. This is the way they have it set up.
We have never figured a workaround for this.
so when ever your on a Dc2 channel that takes a hit from H2H it tricks the receiver into thinking it is on X4 when it actually is not on X4.
This was one reason I placed guide info on every satellite on the H polarity for either channel 1 or 2 so everyone would know the polarity.
Then when using a DVB slaved receiver for your ME TV or This TV in your case you take your 920/922 to SES-1 Vertical polarity.
In this case it would be the channel 1 or 2 without the guide info since you are subbed to H2H.
Now your receiver will not take a hit while there.
Normally even if it takes a hit you would not concern yourself but you are leaving it there for an extended period of time on a channel that H2H uses.
This occurs on a couple channels on G7,S1,all of W5 only AFAIK.

I just checked out analog channel G4/16 and audio works fine with A4, recheck your system on that again. It may be on your end ie.. remote settings like you spoke of.

Thanks for the info on that Stargaze. I now have my timer set to S1-1 (instead of 120), and that will also be my normal parking position when I go there manually. I'll keep my eye on how the unit reacts for a couple of days, but I'm sure you're right about that.

As far as analog audio is concerned, I'll see if I can find the remote for my old 920. I know that it's volume control was always for the 4DTV volume. If I can't find it, I'll just have to search for the information on how to program the 922's remote and change it back to IRD volume control.

I'm still not 100% that the analog audio problem is "volume setting" related though. But checking that is probably the first logical step to take.

Cheers

I had not heard of the analog audio being an issue ever. One would need more history to figure that one out.
Like had you been using it on an analog channel before? did it work ok then?
Just too many variables but I do not believe it is A4 firmware related.
have you tried pressing the options button on the 922 front panel to see if the settings in there needed to be changed.
You do not need a remote to do that and it may be some simple solution for you.

...I do not believe it is A4 firmware related...

That is... unless I screwed up the A4 install. There was one step near the end of the process that said "when software is through erasing old f/w and writing new f/w, cycle power the ird". Honestly, I wasn't sure what it meant by "cycle power the ird". Was it supposed to be unplug/replug, or done by the power button? I tried the power button on the remote, but it didn't respond. So I figured at the time it must've meant unplug/replug, so that's what I did.

Then after I did that, I started to wonder if the power button on the front of the IRD was what the instructions meant. But since I had already committed myself by unplugging & replugging, I had no choice but to let it finish. So I really don't know if I messed up doing the A4 firmware or not. But the proper screen does show A4 as the current version.

BTW, yes I had been getting audio on the analog channels before A4. So now you know the whole story about what happened. So I think I have it narrowed down to 2 possibilities... IRD variable volume went to zero when loading the firmware, OR, I screwed up the A4 install.

Cheers

I just looked at my instructions here...

does it not say...

when software is through erasing old f/w and writing new f/w, cycle power to ird by now typing in the lower box of the USBBDM NT program....

reset 1 (reset space 1 enter)
g (g enter)

Wait for 4DTV to boot up, then check diagnostic screen A, it should say A4 now.
Restore your nvram now.

I hope you can find a remote soon to see if that will help you out.
If not there may be another solution but only as a last resort and for that you will have to exhaust all other things then pm me for details.
Hopefully someone may know of a simple solution I have not thought of yet.

Press and hold SAT mode button till mode button flashes.Press and release SAT mode button,button should flash 3 times and go out.Remote now controls the 922 volume.
Audio settings,OPTIONS 6-3,set to TV and STEREO.

I just realized you have a 922 remote.
waylew has given you some instructions.

here is the rest.

to change the code on the receiver to match the remote or vice versa.

press the up and down arrow keys on the front panel of the receiver.
the front panel display will show... A0, A1,A2 or A3
pick one that does not interfere with the other receiver.

then after you select (lets say A1) press the power button on the receiver to turn it off.
Now press the SAT key on your remote till it blinks 3 times.
as soon as it does this (on your remote) press 001
the remote will blink 3 times.
now press the power button on the receiver to turn it back on.
The remote should be set to that receiver.

on remote...
000 = A0
001 = A1
002 = A2
003= A3

On receiver press up & down arrow together.
Then arrow up or down to change the code to A0, A1, A2, A3.

Hope this explains things more clearly.

I have so many 4D's here I had to put the receivers code # taped to the back of the receiver to keep them straight!

I just looked at my instructions here...

does it not say...

when software is through erasing old f/w and writing new f/w, cycle power to ird by now typing in the lower box of the USBBDM NT program....

g (g enter)

Restore your nvram now.

No, not exactly. In the instructions I have, it reads like this (exact C&P)...

-when software is through erasing old f/w and writing new f/w, cycle power the ird.
now type in:

g (g enter)

Restore your nvram now.

<end c/p>

The version of instructions that I DL'd is named "Ratings_Fix.pdf" and by the file date on my hard drive, it looks like I downloaded it on 6/14/12. BTW, I DL'd it from the A4 thread at SatGuys. At the time I DL'd it, I renamed it to "Ratings_Fix_v2.pdf". I'm pretty sure this was because there was an update to the info at the time.

Notice the difference between yours & mine at the "cycle power" part of the instructions. I just checked again and the version in that A4 thread (here at SatGuys) still looks like my C&P.

In any event, that's what I did & have to deal with. And if it was wrong, I don't have anyone to blame but myself. I knew at the time that I wasn't sure how "cycle power" was meant. But instead of asking questions, I went ahead on my own. That's 100% on me... not the instructions. In fact, this is all part of the learning process and I don't think it should be feared. It's just part of the hobby.

I still have all 6 of the original memory saves. Reckon I should try loading A4 again... but the right way this time?

As far as the analog audio goes, I'll set my remote back to IRD volume control & try that. But I don't think that'll fix it. Last night, I did a little more checking. The 922 has both "Fixed" and "variable" audio outputs. One set goes directly to my AV receiver, the other set goes to inputs on the HTPC for recording purposes. I can't really tell which set goes where because of the spaghetti mess.

But, neither set has audio on analog channels. And since the "fixed" outputs are not affected by the volume control on the remote, IRD volume is not likely the cause.

Cheers

Anony55,

Both of the instructions tell you to do the same thing. After the firmware is loaded into the receiver, the receiver must be power cycled, i.e., pull the plug, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in. Then do the "reset 1" & "g". Either the firmware installs or it doesn't. If it was wrong, the receiver would hang on bootup. You would then need to do it again. I helped one user that reloaded his firmware maybe 20 or more times. It turned out that the USB did not provide enough power to allow the USBBDM device to erase and write memory. Using a powered USB adapter worked. There are three firmware modules (boot, setup, and graphics) and each has a checksum. If the checksum is bad, DSR halts. So your installation is good. So move on, you did the right thing. Don't know anything about the analog audio problem though.

...If it was wrong, the receiver would hang on bootup...

...If the checksum is bad, DSR halts. So your installation is good. So move on, you did the right thing...

Thanks azcoder, that's good to know.

Also, thanks stargaze for your help too. Leaving the unit on S1-1 has so far corrected the displaying X4 problem.

I will keep investigating the analog audio problem. There's bound to be a solution. I might even try reloading the maps to see if that makes a difference. But I'll try some other stuff first.

Cheers

One more day and I still haven't had the bogus front display of X4 when on S1-1 (instead of 120). So stargaze, you were dead on about that.

I set the remote control back to controlling the IRD volume. That let me figure out that the fixed output is connected to the AV receiver, and the variable outputs to the HTPC. As I suspected, that wasn't the problem with analog audio. I also checked the audio settings and they are "TV" and "Stereo". The quest continues...

Cheers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts