Opportunity to build a NOAAport receive station - thoughts on this dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ekgermann

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
All,

Being the weather geek I am, I've stumbled in to an opportunity to build (hopefully) a receive station using "leftovers" somewhat for a NOAAport data distribution (NOAAPORT User's Page)

The Associated Press over the past several years has moved from satellite distribution to all Internet based distribution. As such, a paper I know had AP leave the dish (they could either leave it or scrap it) and I have an opportunity to possibly remove it.

NOAAport is a C-band DVB-S2 signal on SES 1 I believe (NOAAPORT Satellite Location)

The dish is in the following photos:

IMG-20120710-00032.jpg
IMG-20120710-00031.jpg

Haven't measured it yet, but I'm guessing it's at least a 12 foot dish.

How would one tackle disassembling this monster? All the bolts are stainless. Only rust is on some of the braces on the back.

The mounting post is filled with concrete so it's going to have to stay (obviously).

My thought was label the panels on the backside, then start at the top separating the panels working around to the bottom. Then reversing the operation at the site.

Any advice on specs for a base? I can source pipe to mount it on locally in the correct diameter, but looking for some guidance on sizing the base.

Also, since it's no longer in use, could it be re-positioned on the existing mount and BirdDog'd to see if how well it can pick up SES-1 before going to the trouble.

Thoughts? It's an opportunity to play so any guidance appreciated.

Thanks

Eric

Stainless bolts and nuts, NICE. Instead of disassembling it, a flatbed trailer? buttonhook up.
I'd be afraid of warping panels, bending the edges, if panel by panel, in place, removal is attempted.
All panelized dishes here were placed face down on a flat surface, then unbolted. Reverse to assemble. Assemble face down. A support under the dish to support the panels. Install mount/dish ring, then install on pole.
The pole should still be removable. Cut at ground level. the cement inside doesn't have much bending moment strength. If too short for your installation, weld to (length dependent on requirements of base) of larger dia. ('slip fit') Just make sure upper portion is plumb when installed.
>>some guidance on sizing the base.<< really depends on the soil type you're installing in. loose or wet soils require larger bases. Also your frost line may determine the minimum depth.
"free floating" slab base(as I have) are sized for 'tipping moment'. Dimension and weight determining survivable 'wind load'.
>>
could it be re-positioned on the existing mount << YES. dishpointer.com will draw the line and indicate the elevation of the dish and skew of the feed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)