March 12 Retailer Chat Recap

Another dreaded "me too" post, you can likewise look up "Maytown, PA 17550" It's another PO Box only town. I think it's because the area is (or at least, was at the time the post office opened) too small to facilitate the need for a full time mail carrier...

Again for consumers it does not matter cards can be sent to PO boxes as they are only being sent a handful of cards.

However for retailers they are being sent big boxes of cards sometimes with hundreds of cards. This is why they cant ship the cards to retailers at a PO box.

Look up zip code 96137 on your favorite map site. This is for Westwood in the far north east part of CA. You will find there is a post office in the town of Westwood. If you live within easy walking distance(all of town) you have a free #1 size PO Box at the Post Office. There is NO local mail delivery. I happen to live in another town about 2 miles away and we have a rural route(contractor) delivery.

In my case I choose to have a PO Box. The rural route drivers are not known for using their brains. More then once I had boxes or large envelopes left in the snow(near the mail box at the street) instead of delivered to my door as they are required to do in bad weather. UPS and FedEx does deliver to my house and they have yet to leave packages where they can easily become wet.
Your tax dollars at work....

Any number of rural areas have post office box only delivery. If you search using usps.gov, it can tell you whether or not the area falls into that category (try 26209, for Snowshoe, West Virginia, for example, although it's a peculiar example).

My mother lives in an unincorporated area in West Virginia which now has rural route delivery (but previously was post office box only). She is "served" by three different zip codes, one (where she actually lives) with no delivery to her, another that is the closest post office (for her post office box), and a third that is the "delivery" post office (for her star route/rural route/"highway" contract box which she pretty much refuses to use). It makes FedEx, UPS, and (formerly) DHL delivery a nightmare, too, because the addressing has changed every few years.

You still following me? :D Needless to say, she received her smart cards via her post office box.

justen
ok i got it.
I have been to a rural area down here that the USPS does not deliver if you choose not to have a mailbox.
It's a 20 min drive to the zip code town..which is in a different county
Marston, NC is in Richmond County. but the residences are in Scotland County.
Get this. the nearest town is just 5 miles away. But the mail is delivered from a town 12 miles away
That's retarded
And there are those who want the federal govt to dole out their health insurance

Any number of rural areas have post office box only delivery. If you search using usps.gov, it can tell you whether or not the area falls into that category (try 26209, for Snowshoe, West Virginia, for example, although it's a peculiar example).

My mother lives in an unincorporated area in West Virginia which now has rural route delivery (but previously was post office box only). She is "served" by three different zip codes, one (where she actually lives) with no delivery to her, another that is the closest post office (for her post office box), and a third that is the "delivery" post office (for her star route/rural route/"highway" contract box which she pretty much refuses to use). It makes FedEx, UPS, and (formerly) DHL delivery a nightmare, too, because the addressing has changed every few years.

You still following me? :D Needless to say, she received her smart cards via her post office box.

justen

Carmel City Ca is another one without mail delivery & other weird rules.

The city takes its location in the Carmel Forest seriously. Trees come first, structures second. New buildings must be built around existing trees and new trees are required on lots that are deemed to have an inadequate number.

The one-square-mile village has no street lights or parking meters.

In addition, the businesses, cottages and houses have no street numbers. (Originally, the early artists who were the first builders of the homes in the town, named their houses, rather than having numerical addresses.) Due to this situation, the Postal Service provides no delivery of mail to individual addresses. Instead, residents go to the centrally located post office to receive their mail. Overnight delivery services do deliver to what are called geographical addresses, such as "NE Ocean and Lincoln" (Harrison Memorial Library) or "Monte Verde 4SW of 8th" (Golden Bough Playhouse). The format used for geographical addressing lists the street, cross street, and the number of houses from the intersection. For example, in the case of "Monte Verde 4SW of 8th", the address translates to a building on the West side Monte Verde Street four properties south of the 8th Ave intersection.

For fire & police calls residents provide a description like 3rd red house on the left of (street name).

Richard Tidd

Awesome, after waiting for so long, tomorrow March 18, my locals in HD for Duluth MN are coming ...YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)