Max distance from dish question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
A lot of power is lost by the time the compressed, digital signal travels back from a satellite 22,300 miles out over the equator. A dish is a reflector and serves as a passive amplifier - the first stage of amplification. The signal that hits the dish is reflected to the LNBF has by far the most gain compared to which the Lnb amplification is almost insignificant. The LNB prime function is to prescale down from the 12 GHz range to 950 - 2,000 MHz so that the downconverted signal can then be run through a high quality RG-6 coaxial cable with little loss into the satellite receiver. There are two primary factors in the LNB to bring in the best audio/video. Noise Temperature, which is measured in degrees Kelvin and amplification, or gain, which is measured in Decibels and calculated logarithmically. High gain is of no value unless the noise temperature is very low. Although they try to make every part perfect, nothing is ever perfect. There are many component parts in an LNB and all have plus or minus tolerances, so there can be big differences in the audio/video quality you see.
Effectively my view is the most important component is the dish size and quality cable. Of all the LNBs I have tested the differences are not as great as their prices might suggest. In fact one of the greater assets of LNBs is their ability to duplex and combine linear and circular.

So today I measured it out. Roughly 250 feet from where I'd like to put the dish to the grounding block. Probably another good 20 feet from the grounding block to the receiver, but could be up to 50 feet from the grounding block, depending on where I put the receiver. I realized I actually already have an old primestar dish, gonna get some pictures. Maybe it's big enough I'll get good gain.

So this is my dish, it's 39-40" in diameter. the LNB is gone, I guess that is the feedhorn still attached? It's 32" out from the dish. Can I put a universal LNB on this and use it for FTA? would I be able to motorize this at some point? Not sure about that mount

Where it's mounted is no good, the only thing I think I could see is whatever is at the location primestar was at

Attachments

• IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    403.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 83
I'm not sure if they have a Universal lnbf that will bolt to that feedhorn? But, you could modify the mounting somehow to make a Universal lnbf or a Linear lnbf to work with the dish. Why do you want a Universal lnbf? Linear lnbf's are what is mostly used over the America's. But, a Universal will work over the America's, if that's what you want? Here are a couple of Channel Master lnb's that will bolt up to that feedhorn:
FTA / International LNBs ::...
there is also an Invacom (QPF031 I think? which is a dual Circular & dual Linear lnb with 4 outputs) lnb that will bolt up to that feedhorn. An Eagle Aspen P870 FSS Stacked lnb will also bolt up to that feedhorn. I'm sure there are others I can't think of?
Good Luck..!!

I don't think universal is what I want, I think I got those mixed up. I'm not looking for any channels in particular, I'm mostly going to be searching for feeds and picking up a few english language foreign stations that are up

Joseph

I have two of these, fixed on 125 and 123 respectively. I'm about 65' from the house, and another 50' before it sees the reciever on RG6 copper clad steel cable. Using TechSat Tracker (redhead) II lnb's, they bolt right up. Give her a spin with RG6, and go with RG11 if you have trouble. That's a heavy dish/mount for a motorized setup, what are you going to use to move it.?

No static at all.

Attachments

• Dish array2.JPG
    Dish array2.JPG
    287.1 KB · Views: 72
Joseph

I have two of these, fixed on 125 and 123 respectively. I'm about 65' from the house, and another 50' before it sees the reciever on RG6 copper clad steel cable. Using TechSat Tracker (redhead) II lnb's, they bolt right up. Give her a spin with RG6, and go with RG11 if you have trouble. That's a heavy dish/mount for a motorized setup, what are you going to use to move it.?

No static at all.

I probably won't motorize it to begin with. I might stick an LNB on it and see what I can pick up where it's at. The pole it's on now isn't going to be pulled up, the Primestar installer was very professional and it is very very well cemented. If that dish is too big/heavy to motorize then I'll just buy a new dish when I want to do that.

The trick with that is that buying a receiver and LNB is pricey to just play around, especially if it turns out that when I move it out to the other spot on the property where I have a better view it's too far out.

Does anyone remember where the primestar satellite was, and if there's anything there now? I can probably pick up a few degrees to each side of where primestar used to be.

The trick with that is that buying a receiver and LNB is pricey to just play around, especially if it turns out that when I move it out to the other spot on the property where I have a better view it's too far out.

A good and easy test is to build a moveable post on wheels or a skid. Doesn't have to be pretty, or even that plumb for location testing. A discarded Kids basketball stand cut down comes to mind. You can lay the cable on the ground to test for signal strength on a long run with one of your existing recievers, or pick up an ebay special for ~$25-35. An xtra reciever is also a decent troubleshooting tool. I'll be happy to send you a bandstacked FSS lnb that will bolt up to your primestar feedhorn for nothing. PM me if interested. That just leaves getting the cable and the time to do it.

A good and easy test is to build a moveable post on wheels or a skid. Doesn't have to be pretty, or even that plumb for location testing. A discarded Kids basketball stand cut down comes to mind. You can lay the cable on the ground to test for signal strength on a long run with one of your existing recievers, or pick up an ebay special for ~$25-35. An xtra reciever is also a decent troubleshooting tool. I'll be happy to send you a bandstacked FSS lnb that will bolt up to your primestar feedhorn for nothing. PM me if interested. That just leaves getting the cable and the time to do it.

I might just take you up on your offer. Let me just get everything clear. With the FSS LNB you're offering me (and I'll cover the shipping cost), I can pick up Ku band stuff on say, AMC3, 5, or 9 as turbosat says are probably close by? And a standard FTA receiver should be good enough? Where the dish is now is probably a good 175-200 ft of coax, but we never had any problems with Primestar at that distance.

If I can get that going for now, it'll probably tide me over until I can get a motorized dish setup. In that case I'll probably leave the Primestar setup on one sat and switch in the motorized dish later.

we have a winner:

In my opinion, the only thing nicer than a 1.0 meter Primestar ... is the 1.2 meter Primestar.
In other words, 1.0 is very nice!

On the elliptical Primestars, you need to keep the old feedhorn with the dish.
They are well matched.
Then, you just bolt a different LNB to that existing feedhorn.

With the round Primestars, that's not such a significant matter.
So, if you choose to use a regular LNB, bolted in where that feedhorn is, you should be good.

But if someone is going to ship you a bandstacked LNB to bolt to your existing horn, your old feedhorn is serviceable, and you don't have a problem with bandstacked, then that's very hard to argue with! - :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts