Status
Please reply by conversation.

IbrahimSS

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
New Jersey
Hello

I was wondering if there is a max length RG-6 can carry power from the receiver to a motor. I saw somewhere that you shouldn't run more than 100' of RG-6 for signal quality but there is surely no way I can make it to my TV on that length. Plus to ground my dish I'm going to have to connect to the grounding block which is going to be pretty far off on it's own since my ground is there.

Is 100' really all you can run for signal? What about for power?

Thanks
Sam

I'm easily @ 160ft from one dish to the receiver with no noticeable signal loss, and powering an SG2100 just fine. I'd venture to guess you could probably do twice that length with a little amplification.

An inline amp amplifies only the inbound signal, so inserting inline will have no effect on the control of a DiSEqC motor. There is really no hard rule for how far away a motor can be placed from the receiver. The variables are the strength of the 22KHz output signal by the receiver, the sensitivity of the DiSEqC receiver circuit in the motor, and the quality of the coax cable.

We are currently using a Fortec Mercury II, 250' of quad shield RG-6 and a GS-120 motor in our shop with no communication problems. A few years ago I remember some other popular receiver not being able to get past 125'.

The RG-6 comes as steel core with copper plating, OR solid copper core.
Is there a recommendation for how far each can be used when supplying the heavier current requirements of a motor or several LNBs ??

Also, not all motors are created equal.
Check the specs on current draw for various models, and assume the higher current motors -may- be more powerful and/or faster, but may not work as far away.

The RG-6 comes as steel core with copper plating, OR solid copper core.
Is there a recommendation for how far each can be used when supplying the heavier current requirements of a motor or several LNBs ??

Also, not all motors are created equal.
Check the specs on current draw for various models, and assume the higher current motors -may- be more powerful and/or faster, but may not work as far away.

Anyone have any experience with a long run on the Stab motors? I'm thinking about purchasing the HH100 and will need to power the motor with a 150 ft. run of RG6 cable.

I don't have a stab... but do have an sg2100. I'd think 150 ft shouldn't be a problem. The biggest issue is going to be making sure that the coax connectors are all connected good and tight so you lose as little power as possible in going from one coax to the next.

I've run 200 feet on a SG2100 with no issues and no signal losss. If you use good quality RG-6 cable you should be fine

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Need some answers before I Take The Plunge

Coolsat 8000 question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts