Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Bexley, Ohio
Hey Guys,

Got a plroblem with the PS3.

Jr. went to turn it on today and on the screen I am getting, and I quote,

"The Hard Disks File System is corrupted and will be restored"

Press X to continue.

I do of course press X. It says "restoring" , do not turn off the system.

It goes through and gets on up to 100%, goes blank, kinda reboots and of course.............................

the first screen saying that "the hard Disks File Syetem is corrupted and will be restored" ............again.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Take the PS3 and stick it in your FREEZER for about an hour, then try it again.

If it starts up then your PS3 is overheating. If it dont start again then your hard drive is toast.

You know, there are only about 3 or 4 guys in the universe that could tell me something as crazy as that , and I would actually follow the advice and do it...you happen to be one of them. Here goes nothing!

Thanks!

If you can get it to boot up, make sure you have a large enough jump drive I'd say at least a 3 gig. Imediately go to the restore/back up section under the system settings area and do a back up. Then find out why it's over heating, if that's the problem. If it goes back to the screen you had again, at least you have all your game saves and other data on the jump drive that you can load up on your new machine if you have to get the old one referbed or buy a new one. If your sure it's not over heating, it may be the HDD failing. If that's the case, then go buy a new HDD (lap top HDD). It's very easy to swap out. After you install it, it will format the drive and then you can restore your stuff from the jump drive. Let us know how it comes out.

Well, its cold......

So I turn it on and I once again see the Sony Playstation Screen, It then goes to the screen that says

"The hard disk file system is corrupted and will be restored. It restores to 100% then the same screen comes up again.....arrrrgh. Nice try though.

So, what is next, repair, new? Anyone know...thanks for the help. Do I get a new drive??

Anyone know if HPMan is still lurking the forums, he seemed to know a lot of PS3 stuff?

I guess now it's too late, but wouldn't it have made more sense to simply remove the HDD from the PS3 and then freeze it separately, as opposed to freezing the entire PS3? He may have broken other functionality of the PS3 in the process...

Hey Guys,

Got a plroblem with the PS3.

Jr. went to turn it on today and on the screen I am getting, and I quote,

"The Hard Disks File System is corrupted and will be restored"

Press X to continue.

I do of course press X. It says "restoring" , do not turn off the system.

It goes through and gets on up to 100%, goes blank, kinda reboots and of course.............................

the first screen saying that "the hard Disks File Syetem is corrupted and will be restored" ............again.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

This problem always happen when you switch off your console while it is saving data or reading data from the HDD, so your HDD file system damaged, in order to solve this problem you need an external SATA 2.5 hard disk case, extract your PS3 hard drive and insert it in the SATA 2.5 case, plug your hard disk to a computer, you will find that the whale hard disk is unallocated, so format it with FAT32. using your computer, after that return your hard disk to your PS3 console, now, your PS3 console will recognize it, and it will ask you to format it, say YES!!... congratulation your PS3 console is working now
BUT REMEMBER THAT YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA IN THE HARD DISK INCLUDING YOUR SAVES, IMAGES, MOVIES AND ALL YOUR STUFF.

If that does not work!!

Its a good opportunity to get a bigger hard drive for you PS3. There are lots of good instructions on how to swap the drives and the right drive to buy for your PS3 on the net if you Google it. Otherwise return PS3 to Sony or the place you bought it for repair for free. The reason i did not list any Hard drives for you is i don't know your preference and price range..

Also It's a great idea to back up your save games/pictures/movies etc.. I have a Kingston 4GB USB memory stick.

FlyingJ the freezer trick is actually used by a lot of data recovery places.

Freeze your hard drive to recover data: Myth or reality? - [Geeks are Sexy] technology news
Hard Drive Freezer Trick - have you ever tried it?
Hard Drive Freezer Trick - Computer Juice - Forums

But owning a PS3 myself I know how hot those things run. :)

Let us know how you make out. :)

yep, I have been using the freezer trick for quite some time now. Works fairly well and fairly often if the drive is still able to spin.

To the OP:
I had the same problem with my PS3 once (80gig model). I took the drive out, hooked it up to my PC (with a adapter to make it USB that we use at work) and fdisk'd it and blew away any partitions on the drive and put it back in the PS3 and let the PS3 do it's thing on it. Worked ok for me, but YMMV

Update!!!

A huge GINORMOUS thank you to everyone that helped. Black Hitachi, I followed your advise to the tee and perfect!! I can not tell you how happy you have made my kids! Once again Sat Guys has come through huge!! Thanks again Black Hitachi, and also everyone that chimed in, even Scott for trying to turn my PS3 into a popsicle!!!

WOOO HOOO!!!

Update!!!

A huge GINORMOUS thank you to everyone that helped. Black Hitachi, I followed your advise to the tee and perfect!! I can not tell you how happy you have made my kids! Once again Sat Guys has come through huge!! Thanks again Black Hitachi, and also everyone that chimed in, even Scott for trying to turn my PS3 into a popsicle!!!

WOOO HOOO!!!

Great i am glad it worked out for you! :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)