May have to leave DTV: will they make me pay up?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

adamhochman

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Hello,

Regrettably, I think I may be nearing the end of my rope with DTV. I am in the middle of a 2 year contract and may be cancelling in the next few months.

When I spoke to a CSR today they told me I'd owe the prorated portion of $300 if I break my contract. I believe I read a few months ago that you don't necessarily have to pay this fee. I vaguely recall reading that if you send the equipment back DTV won't hold you to the fee; does anyone know if this is the case or if there is another method to avoid paying this fee? I have no problem returning the equipment (that I bought, not leased) if that releases me from paying the termination fee.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Adam

Have you tried calling the retention department at 800-824-9081 to get an answer from them, they usually get it right.

leased customers have to pay the fee 99% of the time. Its prorated according to contract (i think its 12.00 a month for every month left) plus return the leased equipment or pay another fee as well.

owned customers can request to return the equipment and assuming its all multi-sat equipment, can usually get some or all of the fee waived.

I dont think a customer should pay one nickle if D* has let the PQ take a nose dive during the contract. If the issue is HD the customer has a reasonable expectation for a certain level of PQ. Not macroblocking all over the place. I think "HD service" goes beyond just outputting a signal.

Last edited:
It will really depend on the contract you signed. Leasing started 3/1/06 prior to that I believe the contract stated fee waived if all equipment was returned.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)