Maybe Android isn't all that great after all

Ive been using Android since its debute with Tmobile, obviously switching providers to have the best of the best. I have never looked into the Iphone, nor do I have any interest. Open source platforms are what is going to move the industry forward. M$ and Apple do not have this interest.

Ive been using Android since its debute with Tmobile, obviously switching providers to have the best of the best. I have never looked into the Iphone, nor do I have any interest. Open source platforms are what is going to move the industry forward. M$ and Apple do not have this interest.

Funny I used to say the same thing back in the 90s... The problem with Open Source is there are very few with any money behind them. So With Apples Billions and MS's Billions they will continue to buy themselves market share.

Funny I used to say the same thing back in the 90s... The problem with Open Source is there are very few with any money behind them. So With Apples Billions and MS's Billions they will continue to buy themselves market share.

Open source backed by google is not the same as open source in terms of stuff like ubuntu or any other variant of linux. Plenty of money behind Android.

Open source backed by google is not the same as open source in terms of stuff like ubuntu or any other variant of linux. Plenty of money behind Android.

Hey Michael, the only thing I disagree with you on here is economics do drive development. Open Source is proof of this. While GOOG is certainly not in a cash crunch, Apple seems to be paying better, as is M$.

Android is quite powerful, but the people want simple and Apple spends the most on simple. I think DROID faces a decade before surpassing iPhone. (stated by an iPhone 4 owner). You know me and I am quite technical, but when it comes to gadgets, I have moved to the get what I pay for model. I have never fixed my Mac in 3 years, nor my iPhone since the initial launch and I owned each one.

Hope all is well in CO!

I think DROID faces a decade before surpassing iPhone.
I don't think any single handset will ever surpass iPhone as long as the latter exist.
But will Apple rule the smartphone market (as it does now) for a decade? I don't think so.

With very few exceptions (RedHat?) open source doesn't make money. At least not on AAPL/GOOG/MS scale.
But it looks like Google found a way to use open source as a tool to prevent the competition take over a market.

And that by itself is a good thing regardless of what one thinks about motives behind it...

Diogen.

Hey Michael, the only thing I disagree with you on here is economics do drive development. Open Source is proof of this. While GOOG is certainly not in a cash crunch, Apple seems to be paying better, as is M$.

Android is quite powerful, but the people want simple and Apple spends the most on simple. I think DROID faces a decade before surpassing iPhone. (stated by an iPhone 4 owner). You know me and I am quite technical, but when it comes to gadgets, I have moved to the get what I pay for model. I have never fixed my Mac in 3 years, nor my iPhone since the initial launch and I owned each one.

Hope all is well in CO!

Wow - haven't heard from you in awhile! Indeed, I haven't been in COLORADO for two years. Living in Illinois now, Normal, to be exact. I see you are in Washington.

I miss Colorado. :)

As far as the post, I understand your point, but still think that its a very different world when the open source OS itself is being made by google, and not just the developer community.

There was an interesting story the other day in the NY Times how google thinks it could make $10B on Android next year. But Apple does spent a lot of money on controlling its ecosytem, that is for sure. :)

IPhone will never compete with RIM in the corporate sector

Andriod most likely will never with RIM in the corporate sector.

Why lack of tools. Lack of management server. Nether platform was designed to have all data and text etc run though a centralized management server , blackberries were from the start. Neither platform has shown in any advance sdk a way of policy management or a way restrict application use.

There is no security to any senstive applications we might produce on either plat form. . I run a BB server and everyone but upper managment get to pick there phones mainly since upper managment never deals with senstive info fom theres so everyone still gets a blackberry. They will continue too until another platform can say hey we can have the same type of control and policy features as RIM .

Bottom line iphone will never make it to corporate market.

Yeah I have been out of it for a bit Michael! I wish you success, Normal or otherwise :)

Google has an army of apps, but since they run beta for production this has hurt. The success of Froyo is indisputable. I wish I could run it ...

StoneCold has a good point too, in fact if brought to mind our corporate policy. Android is forbidden due to lack of remote-wipe functionality. As an Exchange admin also, even Apple's connector is nowhere near BB/RIM. With Win7 phones hitting, this gap will get wider. However, I still know many on VZW and in the corporate world that "covet" the iPhone.

StoneCold has a good point too, in fact if brought to mind our corporate policy. Android is forbidden due to lack of remote-wipe functionality. As an Exchange admin also, even Apple's connector is nowhere near BB/RIM. With Win7 phones hitting, this gap will get wider. However, I still know many on VZW and in the corporate world that "covet" the iPhone.

There is now software to help with this. I never thought my company would allow iPhones or Android devices but they are even now swaying on that decision.

Last edited:
Moto Droid 1 does the same thing, and has since 2.0.1

And for those of us not on Exchange, and living in the google world. then Android can't be beat for its one-stop-shopping of gmail and google calendar.

Droid One doesn't have Pin Security. My company uses it and it wouldn't allow for access to the exchange server. I made several attempts with no sucess. Many others in my companies with Droid One's discovered the same thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts