Maybe finally some cheaper FTA prices...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
turbosat - Yes, True FTA will be a good option for everyone, but a lot of those people with FTA receivers only have 18" dishes. The 33" dish manufacturers should increase production a little bit so that they've got stock for the increased demand that will be coming shortly :) Although I suspect that we will see a lot of people who are simply stealing programming will either go back to cable or *gasp* subscribe to Bell or Dish Network...

And I'll be waiting, right here, cash in paypal account in hand, to pick up those receivers for pennies on the dollar. :) I want a HD box right now, in the worst way. Christmas is coming, and I usually get a few bucks for presents....:D

Hey stogie & gang,

I, too, would love to see the prices come down. When I was reading your post something occurred to me. Do you think there are enough people interested to do a group buy (assuming things don't work out how you are hoping)?

I know Mike Kohl carries the Pansat 9200HD and I have a feeling we might see the Fortec Passion from SatelliteAV soon after it is released. Those are the only two I would seriously consider as they don't seem to cater to the thieves. Probably less likely they would show up cheap on ebay, though.

I've been following the FTA threads for a couple of years and am itching to jump into the hobby. I'm shooting for the February time-frame when I should have a couple of birthday dollars to spend. :)

Hey stogie & gang,

I, too, would love to see the prices come down. When I was reading your post something occurred to me. Do you think there are enough people interested to do a group buy (assuming things don't work out how you are hoping)?

I know Mike Kohl carries the Pansat 9200HD and I have a feeling we might see the Fortec Passion from SatelliteAV soon after it is released. Those are the only two I would seriously consider as they don't seem to cater to the thieves. Probably less likely they would show up cheap on ebay, though.

I've been following the FTA threads for a couple of years and am itching to jump into the hobby. I'm shooting for the February time-frame when I should have a couple of birthday dollars to spend. :)

I read some reviews on the Passion from Europe and it doesn't do 4:2:2. So, IMO, there's no reason to wait if you want a HD receiver. I am waiting on the price to come down because I think 400 (or even 300) is insane to pay for a receiver, simple as that. All the HD boxes are priced above that right now because of the hacker's market, IMO. That goes away I HOPE the prices come back to earth.

I like the Quali TV, but 700.00 for a box that can't be programmed or is incapable of blindscanning? No way. Make it 300.00 and I'll buy one today. :D

I read some reviews on the Passion from Europe and it doesn't do 4:2:2. So, IMO, there's no reason to wait if you want a HD receiver. I am waiting on the price to come down because I think 400 (or even 300) is insane to pay for a receiver, simple as that. All the HD boxes are priced above that right now because of the hacker's market, IMO. That goes away I HOPE the prices come back to earth.

I like the Quali TV, but 700.00 for a box that can't be programmed or is incapable of blindscanning? No way. Make it 300.00 and I'll buy one today. :D
I know it has been hotly debated, but I still think we will see 4:2:2 with the US product launch. Time will tell... :) For me, the main differences between the two are the Fortec reputation and 4:2:2 (?) versus ATSC and DVR. I'm hoping to see some product announcements, etc over the next month or so to help me with the purchasing decision in February. I am also considering an entry level box to keep my costs and learning curve under control!

The unfortunate thing with hackers is they wouldn't pay regardless of how you block them, they would rather invest the time in finding a way around the issue... see the issues dvd has and now HD movies with the previously impenetrable BD+ which has been hacked by a company called SlySoft..

I know it has been hotly debated, but I still think we will see 4:2:2 with the US product launch. Time will tell... :) For me, the main differences between the two are the Fortec reputation and 4:2:2 (?) versus ATSC and DVR. I'm hoping to see some product announcements, etc over the next month or so to help me with the purchasing decision in February. I am also considering an entry level box to keep my costs and learning curve under control!

Fortec needs to stop the foot dragging and get on with it then. They've been selling the Passion in Europe for a year now. I too have heard that the Passion will walk on water. Well, let's get it on! :)

I know The only reason why im wating for the passion is to see if it does 4:2:2. If it doesnt I will be ticked off as that was one fo the features promised

I too have been watching fleabay. IM looking for a good deal on a pansat 9200 hd too. To bad there wasnt a way to add a module to it that does 4:2:2.

I can't wait until some hacking jackass sells his pansat 9200HD on ebay for 100.00 LOL.
I want another one. Reflash that baby back with pansats new firmware and voila ....HD on the other tv.

The "hax0r$" and "freeloaderz" are complaining about a new ECM that just happened tonite, apparently there are some big PPV events this weekend. Maybe some good deals for us on the way?

They usually do that right before one of these big UFC ppv things. Must be one tonight, found a feed for "UFC" on Gal 17, scrambled of course.

Was just crusin' eBay today and saw some "refurb" ExtremeView Magnum XV-3300 starting at US$50 "free shipping". I couldn't find much info here with a search. Anyone have any experience with one of them with true FTA?

heads or tails ?

Well, on page 19 of their manual, it does show how to do a blind scan.
And it claims diseqc 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2.
The manual shows how to set up for USALS.
But otherwise, a little research suggests it's targeted as plain old hacker-bait.

After being disappointed with better known units, I wouldn't personally spend time in further testing of this one.
But, I've burned out. Go for it if you like, and give us a review! :cool:

Was just crusin' eBay today and saw some "refurb" ExtremeView Magnum XV-3300 starting at US$50 "free shipping". I couldn't find much info here with a search. Anyone have any experience with one of them with true FTA?

I had one of those boxes, and sold it almost immediately. Very cumbersome to use, not at all suitable for FTA . Not even, if you follow the pirate forums , a very good hacker box. Too bad, because it had good specs when I bought it.

Brent

I had one of those boxes, and sold it almost immediately. Very cumbersome to use, not at all suitable for FTA . Not even, if you follow the pirate forums , a very good hacker box. Too bad, because it had good specs when I bought it.

Brent

Yep, the tech specs look good, but if the importer/distributor doesn't care about FTA users then factory software support will be awful. It's sad that some software bug fixes never get beyond the hack software. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)