McNabb says black QBs under more pressure

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
Interesting read....I tend to agree, but I am curious to see what others think.

Hopefully, this can stay somewhat civil.....

Updated: September 18, 2007, 7:17 PM EST

African-American quarterbacks face more pressure and more criticism than their white counterparts, Philadelphia Eagles QB Donovan McNabb says in an interview scheduled to air on HBO on Tuesday night. McNabb, in an interview on "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel," tells interviewer James Brown that African-American quarterbacks such as himself face added pressure because there are fewer black QBs -- and because some still don't want black athletes playing the position. "There's not that many African-American quarterbacks, so we have to do a little bit extra," McNabb tells HBO. "Because the percentage of us playing this position, which people didn't want us to play ... is low, so we do a little extra." In just-completed Week 2, five of the 32 teams (15.6 percent) had black starting quarterbacks. Later in the interview, Brown presses McNabb on criticism of his performance -- and if African-American QBs are graded more harshly. "I pass for 300 yards, our team wins by seven, [mimicking] 'Ah, he could've made this throw, they would have scored if he did this,' " McNabb tells HBO.

"Doesn't every quarterback go through that?" Brown asks.

"Not everybody," McNabb replies. Brown then asks if the media is tougher on him than on white quarterbacks such as Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning. "Let me start by saying I love those guys," McNabb tells HBO. "But they don't get criticized as much as we do. They don't." In the interview, McNabb also talks to Brown about playing in Philadelphia, a city known for passionate sports fans who aren't afraid to criticize the city's pro athletes. "Every year I'm part of some criticism," McNabb tells HBO. "But every day that we go through life, you're faced with a lot of adversity. Now the answer is how do you handle the adversity. How do you respond? I try to handle myself with class. I try to handle myself with dignity. I think sometimes people look to players to act out, speak loudly, pretty much be an idiot. But that's not me."

ESPN - McNabb tells HBO that black QBs criticized more - NFL

I'd say McNabb has it all wrong. Fans criticize players making $115 million over 12 years and can't win football games. McNabb has lost his last 5 out of 6 games. All he has to do is a win a few and people won't be critical of him. I'd say it's not color. It W's. Or the lack there-of.

I'd say McNabb has it all wrong. Fans criticize players making $115 million over 12 years and can't win football games. McNabb has lost his last 5 out of 6 games. All he has to do is a win a few and people won't be critical of him. I'd say it's not color. It W's. Or the lack there-of.

I would agree to a certain extent....but tell me the last weapon the Eagles have had?? Other than DIE HARD Eagles...do you know ANYONE on the offense that is ANY kind of threat??

I would agree to a certain extent....but tell me the last weapon the Eagles have had?? Other than DIE HARD Eagles...do you know ANYONE on the offense that is ANY kind of threat??

I think McNabb is a little bitch! He thinks he gets it worse than guys than Peyton Manning. Peyton Manning was brutally criticized in the media until he won the Super Bowl. McNabb just wants sympathy because people are correctly showing how inaccurate his throws have been and how poorly he and his offense has played so far this season. What McNabb claims is actually totally the opposite from the truth. The commies in the media are doing everything they can to support a black quarterback even if he is overrated. Limbaugh was 100% right and still is!

I think McNabb is a little bitch! He thinks he gets it worse than guys than Peyton Manning. Peyton Manning was brutally criticized in the media until he won the Super Bowl. McNabb just wants sympathy because people are correctly showing how inaccurate his throws have been and how poorly he and his offense has played so far this season. What McNabb claims is actually totally the opposite from the truth. The commies in the media are doing everything they can to support a black quarterback even if he is overrated. Limbaugh was 100% right and still is!

LMAO....I KNEW you would chime in.....!! Please read what I have posted. I think Peyton is a great QB....but JUST how good would he be with the O line and the offensive weapons McNabb has...really? Hell, how good has Edggerin James has he been since he left THAT offensive line?? Look at ALL the heat Culpepper took when Miami tried to rush him to play....and HE got heat...not the Dolphins because of how 'bad he looked when he came back'...forget the fact that he was rushed...and instead of giving him a chance to "redeem himself"....the Dolphins pick up a has-been 37 year old QB that after all of his concussions, he is one concussion away from seeing spots every time he opens his eyes.....LMAO ....go figure...:rolleyes:

....Oh yeah, Rush Limpbaugh has as much credibility in football as I have in the coal mining business....I won't even talk about his political credibility because it has NOTHING to do with this conversation....neither does the subject of the "commie media"....but you never seem to see that....but it IS always good for a hearty laugh....:up:haha:haha:haha

LMAO....I KNEW you would chime in.....!! Please read what I have posted. I think Peyton is a great QB....but JUST how good would he be with the O line and the offensive weapons McNabb has...really? Hell, how good has Edggerin James has he been since he left THAT offensive line?? Look at ALL the heat Culpepper took when Miami tried to rush him to play....and HE got heat...not the Dolphins because of how 'bad he looked when he came back'...forget the fact that he was rushed...and instead of giving him a chance to "redeem himself"....the Dolphins pick up a has-been 37 year old QB that after all of his concussions, he is one concussion away from seeing spots every time he opens his eyes.....LMAO ....go figure...:rolleyes:

Culpepper was a joke and overrated his whole career! He only had success because had 2 hall of fame recievers, and excellent offensive line, and a good running game. When he lost the 2 hall of fame recievers his career went down the toilet. If anyone remembered his last season in Minnesota he was so awful, when he got hurt, old man Brad Johnson came in and totally turned that team around. Miami should have signed Drew Brees instead. Now Culpepper is backing up a stiff in Oakland! He always sucked. McNabb has had some good seasons, but when things aren't going right, he whines like the bitch he is and race bates like a little commie! If you had seen that game the other night and the opener against Green Bay McNabb is not throwing the ball accurately at all, and isnt as mobile since the knee injury! McNabb is crying to the media pinko brigade because he wants to deflect attention on how poorly he has played.

-- and because some still don't want black athletes playing the position.

This line right here that McNabb says should say everything about how out of touch he sounds with the culture, society and NFL fans. There may be only a handful of people in this world who sincerely feel that there should not be any black athletes playing QB.

If you ask me this entire interview sort of sounds Ricky Williams-esque. Donavan may have a screw loose if he dwells on the race card so much. Perhaps he can not handle the pressure of being a QB in the NFL. And I don't mean because he is black.

But McNabb himself can appear racists as well. He has publicly said on many occasions that he takes this race thing so seriously that he tries to keep "everything black" He has a black agent, black lawyer, his bodyguards are black, his chauffeur is black, etc... Perhaps his mexican gardener is feeling the pressure of performing well because he might be replaced with a black gardener.

And who can forget the superbowl last year. How man times was it drilled into our heads that we are "witnessing history" because a black coach finally made it to the superbowl... as if a black coach was being oppressed and games were being fixed to keep them from getting there. SO many times I was hearing black sportscasters say "we have reached a milestone in racial division". It sounded like the 60's all over again.

The only reason that the black people feel there is racial divide yet, is because they keep it that way. By using it as an excuse when they don't get what a white person gets. I believe Bill Cosby has hit the nail on the head so hard that many in the black community do not want to hear what he has to say. Its a hard pill to swallow. But for those that like to compare America to other countries, all you have to do is look at Europe.

In Europe, hip-hop, and the "ghetto-gangsta", life style is looked at as retarded by black people. Its only in the United States that they glorify and hold that life style so dear. In Europe, no black person feels opressed. In the U.S. many do.

After reading this, some may feel like I am some what racist... and that is fine. That is your opinion. I know I am not. Everyone who is legally a citizen is an American just like I am. What I get sick of, is just because someone is not white, they tell me its my fault because I am holding them back. Any white Donovan McNabb fan, or white NFL football fan should feel like he is calling them out when he spews this rhetoric. Because he is trying to say its their fault he is not playing to his full potential.

That's it. NFL football fans do not see color... they see athletes playing football. So everything is based on wins, losses, and stats.

Id say McNabb sucks lately and he is looking for sympathy or someone to blame. When all else fails blame the white man. He is an absolute idiot. So we do not criticize Rex Grossman???

Id say McNabb sucks lately and he is looking for sympathy or someone to blame. When all else fails blame the white man. He is an absolute idiot. So we do not criticize Rex Grossman???

Exactly.

Hey... did anyone not pick Donovan McNabb on their fantasy team just because he was black. Did you pick Joey Harrington over Donovan? :haha

Hell, how good has Edggerin James has he been since he left THAT offensive line?? Salsa, he is leading the NFL in rushing as of last Sunday. Granted, it's only been 2 games. Last season was a bust, IMO. McNabb plays in a town where the sports media (and the fans) are ruthless. The truth of the matter is still that he hasn't won of late, and didn't win a Super Bowl when he did have the talent around him. Peyton Manning took more criticism than McNabb did until he won the Super Bowl. I'm tired of athletes playing the race card, when their athletic abilities come up short. McNabb should shut up, and try winning a few games. That usually stops criticism. This guy showed a lot of class during the TO period, but now he has stooped down to TO's level. This would maybe have had some credibility if he had some direct quotes to present instead of the hearsay BS. Shut up and play.

Very true about Westbrooke...but where is TO? And WHO is the running backs? And the OTHER receivers? And the O line?

HEY you just said he didnt have weapons I corrected you, jeez!!! :D

the eagles chances in the superbowl passed 2-3 years ago, plain and simple, he is a quarterback who is breaking down, and someone who likes to run his mouth alot....as far as black quarterbacks go, I dont believe that for one second, no one has ever said anything about charlie batch, they treat him just like any other quarterback that comes in and plays for the steelers, but hey all he has done is come in and win, he dosent need excuses.....and yes I know this is just one example, but again I feel that at this point Mcnabb is just running his mouth

Back in the early '70's there was a certain quarterback who was booed and called stupid all the time, it was Terry Bradshaw, and for those of you who don't know he's white. If the quarterback sucks he's gonna get booed. IMO McNabb is just making excuses.

Back in the early '70's there was a certain quarterback who was booed and called stupid all the time, it was Terry Bradshaw, and for those of you who don't know he's white. If the quarterback sucks he's gonna get booed. IMO McNabb is just making excuses.

DING, DING, DING. We have a winner. And we have a whiner(McNabb).

And who can forget the superbowl last year. How man times was it drilled into our heads that we are "witnessing history" because a black coach finally made it to the superbowl... as if a black coach was being oppressed and games were being fixed to keep them from getting there. SO many times I was hearing black sportscasters say "we have reached a milestone in racial division". It sounded like the 60's all over again.

The only reason that the black people feel there is racial divide yet, is because they keep it that way. By using it as an excuse when they don't get what a white person gets. I believe Bill Cosby has hit the nail on the head so hard that many in the black community do not want to hear what he has to say. Its a hard pill to swallow. But for those that like to compare America to other countries, all you have to do is look at Europe.

In Europe, hip-hop, and the "ghetto-gangsta", life style is looked at as retarded by black people. Its only in the United States that they glorify and hold that life style so dear. In Europe, no black person feels opressed. In the U.S. many do.

After reading this, some may feel like I am some what racist... and that is fine. That is your opinion. I know I am not. Everyone who is legally a citizen is an American just like I am. What I get sick of, is just because someone is not white, they tell me its my fault because I am holding them back. Any white Donovan McNabb fan, or white NFL football fan should feel like he is calling them out when he spews this rhetoric. Because he is trying to say its their fault he is not playing to his full potential.

And yet, over 60% of the players in the NFL are black, and HOW many coaches are black? How many GMs and how many owners?? But you are not a racist. You would think there HAS to be plenty of coaches/GMs/Owners where we would have MORE considering the numbers....Oh and by the way, EVERYONE has a little bit of bigotry in them, may not be alot...and then again it maybe alot...but NEVER trust anyone who says "I am not racist" or "I have plenty of black/hispanic/jewish/oriental/gay friends"....those are the ones that usually are.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)