Media-General Stations Adding Ion in Some Markets

Anywho back to the topic of Ion

I wonder when a couple of the earlier noted affiliates will add it (like WLFI Lafayette, IN)

I guess since were on the subject of launching ion and laff. How does the tv station owner know what subchannel would go well in a market. Say if Laff launches on WRIC amd not KLFY (WATE already had Ion on another channel in the Knoxville market so i see that point there). Just asking is all...thanks

As far as I know, the Katz networks are pay to play, so Media-General takes a check from Katz, and then Katz chooses what programming it wants to clear in that market. Some of that will be a function of what's already in the market, so in your example, Laff would hypothetically launch on WRIC since Grit and Escape are already on other stations in the market. If that's not a factor, then Katz probably has their own method of deciding which should go where.

- Trip

Good info Trip

I didnt know how that works....but when most of your subs are "across the board" because they are owned by huge conglomerates (like here in Minneapolis) we kinda get what every else does.
CBS is O&O so we got Decades
FOX and MY is O&O so we got Movies! and Buzzzr
NBC is Tegna so we got Justice Network (and WXNation but the back story of that is the guy who started it use to be in Minneapolis...ironically on same NBC station years ago...so we got it by default)
CW is Sinclair so Get and Grit (waiting patiently on Comet)

Our ABC is owned by Hubbard and they have a good relationship with Weigel so we have had Me and This for a long time, Antenna was added later. And when Live Well went belly up they went to another Weigel net (H&I)

Reactions: localclassictvfan
I guess eventually in the future the 10.2 off KLFY will get an addition to Ion, i cant see a 10.1 and a 10.3 and a blank 10.2, Sit and wait process now.
When Sinclair pulled the CoolTV we had 23-1 (CW) and 23-3 (Zuus Country) for over 2 years (until GetTV was added)

Good info Trip

I didnt know how that works....but when most of your subs are "across the board" because they are owned by huge conglomerates (like here in Minneapolis) we kinda get what every else does.
CBS is O&O so we got Decades
FOX and MY is O&O so we got Movies! and Buzzzr
NBC is Tegna so we got Justice Network (and WXNation but the back story of that is the guy who started it use to be in Minneapolis...ironically on same NBC station years ago...so we got it by default)
CW is Sinclair so Get and Grit (waiting patiently on Comet)

Our ABC is owned by Hubbard and they have a good relationship with Weigel so we have had Me and This for a long time, Antenna was added later. And when Live Well went belly up they went to another Weigel net (H&I)
Thats correct, oh and I know none of your stations are owned by Scripps but their stations get Laff, Cozi, Escape. All 3 or 2 of the 3.

I see thanks. So it can happen, may take awhile. On a note, your 23-2 is where the Comet subchannel supposed to go...
I assume so. 23-2 use to be where they would pre-empt GetTV for the ASN sports but on 10/31 they moved those to Grit 23-2. So I assumed GetTV was getting dropped for Comet....but not yet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)