Memory upgrade for laptop computer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hdtvtechno

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Is there a differance which brand of memory i get
Cheap vs the expensive one or brand names ones..?

PNY - 1GB PC2700 DDR SoDIMM Notebook Memory from besbuy at Sale:$59.99
or
Kingston ValueRAM - Memory - 1 GB - SO DIMM 200-pin - DDR - 333 MHz - non-ECC from besbuy at $148.99

Latency is a big factor for me. I like Corsair memory and usually try to get CL2 latency memory if at all possible at least for desktops. For laptops CL3 is probably your best bet, anything less will be really expensive. Also look at what the max speed is for your computer. Is 333mhz the fastest your computer can handle? Are you sure it is DDR that your computer takes or DDR2?

Latency is a big factor for me. I like Corsair memory and usually try to get CL2 latency memory if at all possible at least for desktops. For laptops CL3 is probably your best bet, anything less will be really expensive. Also look at what the max speed is for your computer. Is 333mhz the fastest your computer can handle? Are you sure it is DDR that your computer takes or DDR2?

Glad that you mentioned that
cause it made me open up the laptop case and look
and i saw that i had memory 400mhz and it was PC3200 and it was DDR
I currently have 2 sticks of 512mb = 1gb
looking to upgrade that to 2gb which is the max my laptop will support (2 sticks of 1gb)

If it is PC3200 then it is probably DDR2 not DDR
Not true... It all depends on the age of the laptop. My desktop, that I built a number of years ago, has PC3200 DDR RAM, not DDR2.

I agree with the advice of going to CRUCIAL's website and using their ram identifier.

As for the original post, I'm shocked at the price difference. PNY and Kingston's "Value" brand should be priced within dollars of each other unless the PNY is on sale and the Kingston isn't.

Not true... It all depends on the age of the laptop. My desktop, that I built a number of years ago, has PC3200 DDR RAM, not DDR2.

I agree with the advice of going to CRUCIAL's website and using their ram identifier.

As for the original post, I'm shocked at the price difference. PNY and Kingston's "Value" brand should be priced within dollars of each other unless the PNY is on sale and the Kingston isn't.

That's why I said probably and not definetly.

bestbuy is famous for charging like 10x on ram. Buy ram online.
And you can often get a great deal too (damn, I'm defending Best Buy !!). Crucial wants $10 more than the on-sale RAM from Best Buy. Arguing "quality" is a moot point to 90% of shoppers too. They buy on price.

While there is nothing wrong with the Crucial memory tool, you can also use the memory tool on the Newegg website. When it tells you what the specs are for the memory you need, it then tells you what memory they have that meets those specs. Look at the ratings on the Newegg site. There is a good chance that there will be comments from people with your brand of laptop who have commented, and you can get an idea of just how compatible a particular brand is.

While there is nothing wrong with the Crucial memory tool, you can also use the memory tool on the Newegg website. When it tells you what the specs are for the memory you need, it then tells you what memory they have that meets those specs. Look at the ratings on the Newegg site. There is a good chance that there will be comments from people with your brand of laptop who have commented, and you can get an idea of just how compatible a particular brand is.

Hey Bogy, thanks for the post! Newegg must have added their memory tool since the last time purchased RAM from them. That will save me a step from going to Crucial's mem tool, then back over to newegg.

I don't buy memory from anyone other than newegg!

"Value" RAM means low cost chips are used. There is a difference in quality between "good" memory and "value" memory. I worked at Viking Components supporting their RAM and memory cards and modems. Viking's server memory was the best there was. Their "Value" memory was definitely lower quality chips, the cheapest they could find on the memory market. Top of the line memory was always fully tested and had to pass all tests with flying colors. "Value" was usually memory that passed the lower level testing, but usually had a few errors when pushed to the max. The idea was that most users would not push the memory to the limits, or would not notice the extra response time generated by repeating error output. This holds true for all memory manufacturers, the Value line is not quite up to snuff chip-sets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)