Memory usage in Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
I keep the latest version of FireFox on my resource-thin laptop.
And during constant browsing of this forum, I've noted lately (week at most?) that memory usage just constantly rises.
I suppose it might be a bug in FireFox, but I've taken an update to it since I noticed this problem, and the problem persists.

Any chance there's something new in the vBulletin software OR ADVERTIZING that is causing this?
Have others noticed?

I have to KILL* FireFox and restart it often (more than daily, sometimes) to recover chewed up memory.

* Task Monitor will show the problem, but I use a nicer Windows Process Explorer to keep an eye on resource usage:

www.sysinternals.com
including the Process Explorer
Process Explorer

My resource thin 8yo "knock around" / friend loaner laptop runs Firefox fine; even on this website. Maybe there is another possibility.

New Look ?

Just dawned o me.
I did change to the New Look display mode, recently.
The old mode wasn't working reliably since the server change.
If I can find how to change back, I'll try that for a couple of days.

rock 'n a hard spot

Firefox has not always given me problems.
And the popular alternative is unacceptable.

I've been running on SatelliteGuys Classic style instead of New SatelliteGuys Look for a few days.
Memory problem seems to have vanished.

Actually, either way would be fine, but I'm forced to abandon Classic, since recent server changes prevent color change to text.
The "A" at the top of the edit window won't give a pull-down box with colors to choose from.
There are other anomalies in the edit window , too.
And I reported this situation before, but it didn't seem to generate any interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.