Merry Christmas to the FTA folks :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
At least no snow!

Merry Christmas everybody! and Happy New Year too. No snow but some rain coming, wonderful 67 degrees today, nicest in 2wks or so. Even went out and put the direcway back on a pole just for fun.

Two years ago I spent most of December in eastern Siberia, working outside at temperatures as low as -50 F, while my wife reports that back in Wisconsin, it was 90 to 100 degrees warmer. When I got home near midnight on Christmas Eve, it was above freezing, with no snow on the ground.

Last year, we had over 30 inches of snow, and a very white Christmas, and I stayed home dealing with it. The entire season broke our snowfall record by nearly two feet, at over 100 inches between November and March.

This December, we are already ahead of last year for snowfall, and it got very cold right after Thanksgiving. Just today I finally unfroze the doors in my pickup, which were iced in after a freezing rain. Spare vehicles are useless when you cannot even pry the doors open with a screwdriver!

I am fighting a problem with a Buick sedan that got just enough moisture during that same storm 2-1/2 weeks ago to alternately freeze the doors shut or jam the door latches so that they will not close. Took care of that today with a heat gun, only to hear that we will now have freezing rain with thunderstorms over the weekend. Here we go again! The worst problems seem to be when it stays below zero on the Fahrenheit scale, because nothing wants to work right. You've got to experience 50 below like I saw two years ago in Siberia to really appreciate what else can go wrong if it gets even colder. So count our blessings and brace for the next adventure! Keep those cameras handy.

Mike, one of the few things WD-40 is good for --- Spray edges and lock areas of the doors with Water Displacing 40th try aka WD-40. It will do some deicing. IT probably will stain light colored material, but not scratch like a scewdriver. It is not a good lubricant but does keep doors from freezing MOST of the time.
POP

For everyone else, especially to Iceberg, Have a very BLESSED and Merry Christmas. ( And for the other analiticals and nitpickers out there, as we recognize the time the wisemen reached the House where the young CHILD was.)

I'ld also like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :)

I hope everyone enjoy's the holidays and stays safe :)

I've enjoyed this year greatly and enjoyed all the discussions and conversations here at SatelliteGuys :) here's hoping next year will be bigger & better :D

and that i get my c-band dishes back up and working ;)

Like the way you emphasized that POP ;)

Y'all have a very merry CHRISTmas and wish everyone a wonderful, happy, and prosperous New 2009!

Mike, I keep a spray bottle filled with Ice-X. When they are predicting freezing rain or rain followed by a deep freeze, I spray down the doorseals of all the vehicles. And like Pop said, use WD40 on the locks and latches (and don't forget the hood & trunk latches)

Merry Christmas to all my friends here, and thanks for a great year! Lets make 2009 even better!

And Mike, your story made me cold. And its 71 degrees here right now, we set a record high today of 80, and expect to do so again tomorrow, it'll be a shorts and topsiders Christmas in South Louisiana, gotta love it! :D

Merry Christmas to all. Hold your family close, call those too far away, and make up with those you've been distant to. You never know just how fast things will change. We lost my brother-in-law, age 47, before Thanksgiving, my wife's sister two weeks ago and my best friend's wife is in critical, terminal condition in the hospital right now. In the blink of an eye everything changes, so be grateful for what you have now.

Merry Christmas everybody...!

Mike Kohl, I can't imagine why anyone would even live where it gets -50 F, much less go for a visit, work related or not? I don't get out much when it gets below +50 F, and don't get out at all when it's close to +32 F. Don't know what it got to today, but I run around in my T-Shirt all day. It's +66 F outside as I type, and it's almost mid-night. Looking for same conditions tomorrow. You can enjoy another White Christmas and I'll enjoy my T-Shirt Christmas.

I am fighting a problem with a Buick sedan that got just enough moisture during that same storm 2-1/2 weeks ago to alternately freeze the doors shut or jam the door latches so that they will not close. Took care of that today with a heat gun, only to hear that we will now have freezing rain with thunderstorms over the weekend. Here we go again! The worst problems seem to be when it stays below zero on the Fahrenheit scale, because nothing wants to work right.

Mike did you ever think about some kind of carport or garage to put the vehicles in. My locks or doors don't freeze because they are sheltered. Once in a while my garage lock freezes but that can be easily remedied by a mini torch and some WD-40. We had -30 below here with the windchill the other day. I have to admit this winter has been nothing but a big pain. What ever happened to global warming :confused:

Merry Christmas everybody...!

Mike Kohl, I can't imagine why anyone would even live where it gets -50 F, much less go for a visit, work related or not? I don't get out much when it gets below +50 F, and don't get out at all when it's close to +32 F. Don't know what it got to today, but I run around in my T-Shirt all day. It's +66 F outside as I type, and it's almost mid-night. Looking for same conditions tomorrow. You can enjoy another White Christmas and I'll enjoy my T-Shirt Christmas.

+32 that would be summer to me right now ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts