METV Channel 247

If DISH carries your METV on satellite as part of your locals it appears they do not add the national feed 247 to your package. Getting METV as a local OTA should have no bearing. KNLC is an actual METV owned station isn't that in your locals package?

I have it as my local and on 247 I am also on top 250

I have it as my local and on 247 I am also on top 250

Not according to METV and DISH. They show it only on 247. What other satellite channel (not OTA) are you saying DISH carries METV on for you?

Until I read this thread I didn't know MeTV zoomed. According to their FAQ they don't. So my question is, does it look 4:3 over the air vs. Dish. Right now I'm watching WJLP New York and they are zooming with thin black bars but it's not 4:3.

MeTV Picture Quality FAQ

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: dare2be
Not according to METV and DISH. They show it only on 247. What other satellite channel (not OTA) are you saying DISH carries METV on for you?

If METV is available on the local main channel the .1 then Dish will not offer channel 247. This is true in the Marquette Mi market. METV is available on 19.1 which Dish carry’s on it satellite spot beam

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

If METV is available on the local main channel the .1 then Dish will not offer channel 247. This is true in the Marquette Mi market. METV is available on 19.1 which Dish carry’s on it satellite spot beam
Again, wrong. It has nothing to do with your first sentence, but your last sentence is correct. If Dish carries the channel as part of their local package (whether it's a main channel or a subchannel), then 247 will not be available.

Jacksonville FL market is a good example. MeTV is on 30.2 as a subchannel, but Dish carries it in their local package on channel 32. Channel 247 is not available in this market.

Again, wrong. It has nothing to do with your first sentence, but your last sentence is correct. If Dish carries the channel as part of their local package (whether it's a main channel or a subchannel), then 247 will not be available.

Jacksonville FL market is a good example. MeTV is on 30.2 as a subchannel, but Dish carries it in their local package on channel 32. Channel 247 is not available in this market.

Which is why when murk69 said he has it both as his local and on 247 I asked what channel DISH is carrying METV on as a local because from the DISH and METV sites DISH does not carry METV as local in his market and would appear to by why he gets 247.
I think some are still confusing having it OTA VS as a local on Satellite VS the National channel.

Since when does Dish carry a .2 channel Never seen it

Reactions: CyberSpock
Ha. My Dish doesn't carry .1 channels. I have to key 002-00 to get it to switch faster. But why? There is never anything after the dash except for OTA channels here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jacksonville, Utica two mentioned in this thread, likely there are more. I expect more after the repack is finished with stations moving. How many isn't really the point though, METV can be in any position, .1 .2 .3 etc it only matters if DISH carries it as a local or not as to you getting the national channel 247.

Seattle carries is KKFV 44.1, as well as Dish on 44, so the people in the Seattle DMA do not get 247. Contrast, Portland gets METV on 2.2 OTA, but Dish does not carry that, so people do get 247. Interesting though, the 247 feed is on Eastern Time, as well at the FTA signal.

Reactions: Tampa8
Seattle carries is KKFV 44.1, as well as Dish on 44, so the people in the Seattle DMA do not get 247. Contrast, Portland gets METV on 2.2 OTA, but Dish does not carry that, so people do get 247. Interesting though, the 247 feed is on Eastern Time, as well at the FTA signal.
Perhaps as leverage, to get more west coast affiliates to give Dish favorable carriage terms, or risk losing viewers to the national feed.

Our local MeTV is stretching the 4:3 content (and zooming it too). I sent screenshots in another thread. They are basically sending it 14x9, not fully stretched to 16x9.

Edit: here's the post: ME TV On Dish
Yes, I've noticed that the 4:3 is zoomed a bit, but no so that it looks warped like as stretch nor zoomed to the point of missing any part of the picture that matters, but not true 4:3. I think of the slight zoom as "over-scan" because nothing of importance is lost and it results in no warping of the image, but it sure gets to the limit of "head-room" and the practice of shooting to allow for over-scan. I'm so busy looking at the center of the screen (always shot as center the subject rule and especially adhered to in TV more so than in Cinema) I really don't notice the tops of the head are just outside of the raster unless I specifically look for it. This is obviously a compromise to fill as much of the wide screen as possible without warping the image, and unfortunately, I'd say, a majority of the rabble out there PREFER a totally filled wide screen even if it is stretched to ridiculous proportions. They have no appreciation for original aspect ratio

I have to say that I don't mind the slight zoom that most people I've asked can't notice nor any loss of headroom, etc. I would prefer that it be proper 4:3 and let US stretch if we chose, but I have to say that most folks like anything that fills the wide screen.

Do we know that METV even has more than one time zone feed? Or do stations delay the broadcasts.

Do we know that METV even has more than one time zone feed? Or do stations delay the broadcasts.

METV has two time zones but they currently are just a tape delay for the west coast. It is a separate feed though

Yes, I've noticed that the 4:3 is zoomed a bit, but no so that it looks warped like as stretch nor zoomed to the point of missing any part of the picture that matters, but not true 4:3. I think of the slight zoom as "over-scan" because nothing of importance is lost and it results in no warping of the image, but it sure gets to the limit of "head-room" and the practice of shooting to allow for over-scan. I'm so busy looking at the center of the screen (always shot as center the subject rule and especially adhered to in TV more so than in Cinema) I really don't notice the tops of the head are just outside of the raster unless I specifically look for it. This is obviously a compromise to fill as much of the wide screen as possible without warping the image, and unfortunately, I'd say, a majority of the rabble out there PREFER a totally filled wide screen even if it is stretched to ridiculous proportions. They have no appreciation for original aspect ratio

I have to say that I don't mind the slight zoom that most people I've asked can't notice nor any loss of headroom, etc. I would prefer that it be proper 4:3 and let US stretch if we chose, but I have to say that most folks like anything that fills the wide screen.
My local OTA provides a METV picture (720p) that is really good and when comparing the picture with the one on 247 I see no evidence of zooming or stretching which means if they do that, it's imperceptible to me. The OTA picture employs smaller black bars for original non HD content and displays HD content normally. I expect OTA stations that put METV on a SD sub channel would provide the same quality picture as channel 247. That said, if Dish would upgrade 247 to 720p the PQ should rival the OTA picture.

I'd say, a majority of the rabble out there PREFER a totally filled wide screen even if it is stretched to ridiculous proportions. They have no appreciation for original aspect ratio
Amen. Dumbing down...

Here's is a good litmus test. Watch the opening sequence of the Love Boat on Sundays at 5:00 or 6:00pm. Notice how much the circular porthole around the guest star pictures are chopped at the top and bottom and how squished they look. That'll give you a good indication how much the image is distorted.

I get it on OTA 02-02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
d38bcfcb5b1208d68f96166f39c2cf3c.jpg
1deb014298d805ae07a7f5a050692e9b.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts