Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
Is it just me or are they having issues tonight? :confused:

I'll be watching, not touching a thing when the screen goes black for a few seconds, I hear a popping noise then the picture comes back again.

I've never seen it do this exact thing before so I don't know if it's maybe my new screen is going bad or maybe the PC is messing up or what..

It did it several times during Get Smart and a few times during Car 54..

Thanks! :confused:

Never mind.. It's something here. The whole screen blacks out. I shut off the mytheater app and left it sitting with just the wallpaper showing and it still blacks out. Something is bad wrong here. :(

Last edited:
Actually I believe the problem is this little HDMI switch I bought to put between the monitor, my PC and my S10.

I can switch between two sources (or three if I add another) with a remote control and don't have to mess with switching wires which is a HUGE pain.
I bought it refurbished so maybe that's what's causing the signal going to the set to switch off.

I have a one in, four out HDMI box plugged into the pc. Two wires go from it, one wire to the flat screen in my bedroom and one wire to the above switch.
The TV in my bedroom works fine so I know everything is OK with the PC and the four way splitter. So that leaves either the switch or the 24" flat screen as the problem.

I have a matched pair of the 24" screens, side by side. One is on my work PC and the other one is for the home theater pc. The one on my work PC has not acted up so I doubt it's twin sister sitting next to it is suddenly gone bad.

As for turning off the My theater app, well that's exactly what I did. I killed the app so that the PC was sitting there doing nothing at all except displaying the wall paper and desktop.
I sat and waited awhile and sure enough, even that went black for a few seconds then came back on, just like it does when the My theater app is running.
And it is NOT a screen saver or power saver issue, I have totally disabled the screen saver and power saver options. Under normal circumstances the screen never shuts off, at all. That PC exists to operate as a satellite tuner and it runs 24/7, I never, ever turn it off, there is always at least one screen on in one room or another, I always sleep with the TV on. That PC only gets shut off when the power goes out in a storm and that's fairly rare..

I am certain that the problem does not lie within the PC.

The only new thing in this is the switch. Process of elimination leave this device as my primary suspect.

Last edited:
HDMI does what is called "handshake" between components. Some switches handle HDMI handshake better than others. Also, some components get along well with a switch and others simply won't work. To further complicate things, some switches work well only with certain components. There are many documented issues with switching and the Sony PS3.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts