Mexico Signals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

prt328

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Nomad
I'm a DTV subscriber in the US and vacation in Cabo San Lucas (latitude 22) a few months a year. I would like to bring my home unit down so I have DTV available here. It used to work (about 2 years ago) but not anymore. I used a 1M dish but now only get a few channels even though I subscribe to everything.

I now have an 1M as well as a 1.8M dish with clear lines of sight. Does anyone have experience with the larger dish and which satellite to point to that has the best chance for success (and most channels!).

I am not a definitive source on this but my best guess is that you won't get all of it. When I was there 6 weeks ago, I noticed the dish we had for SKY (1 meter) was aimed VERY low and almost due east. I think the birds for D* would be too low to see. I'm anxious to hear others comments and I will admit that there is a poster here that gets D* in Hawaii, so... :cool:

D* sells service in Hawaii, so that should be no suprise. I don't know much about mexico service, but the sat you want to focus on is 101, it has all the primary SD.

I have a friend who had DTV with an 1.8 meters dish, in Zacatecas (22°50'N 102°32'W), pointed at 101 with no problems at all.

I just asked him, but he switched to Dish Network, his dish is now pointed at 119 and a neighbor of his at 110, then they share those signals... nice setup if you ask me (those dish aren't cheap!), he said 110 it's a little bit difficult to get than 119.

Bob, I think you can "see" the bird, just can't get anything off of it! Also according to dishpointer, I think it says "outside footprint" for 101W.

A few years ago I could get about 70% (I subscribe to everything!), then I could only get even (or odd, I forget) TP's and now I can only get a few channels. I read elsewhere that DTV uses a "special" LNB (circular vs. linear) and am wondering if that may be the problem or if I am just outside the footprint. I have not tried it with the 1.8M dish yet or the 10" bud (C-band) I have available - was saving that for next trip (when I try to get 99 or 103 with my HD20 box).

Maybe DTV just flat won't work down here!

Directv definitely uses circular polarization for 99/101/103/110/119. They run two transponders on the same frequency, one LHCP and the other RHCP, so you won't have any luck with a linear LNB, as the two would each be received at half-power and would interfere with each other.

Status
Please reply by conversation.