yaz96

Baby, It's Cold Outside
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
Updated: November 7, 2011, 3:36 PM ET
Report: Michael Vick most disliked

ESPN.com news services

Michael Vick has come all the way back from prison to star in the NFL again. But he apparently still won't win a popularity contest among the league's fans.

Forbes.com reported Monday that Vick is the NFL's most disliked player, according to a poll by Nielsen and E-Poll Market Research. Forbes.com reports that 60 percent of those polled picked said they "dislike," "dislike somewhat," or "dislike a lot" the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback.

Second on the list was New York Jets receiver Plaxico Burress at 56 percent, who also has returned from a prison stay, followed by Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who was accused of sexual assault last year but wasn't charged.

New England Patriots defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, who disappointed with the Washington Redskins after signing a $100 million contract before his trade to New England, came in at No. 4 at 46 percent and Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, who had his toughness questioned after leaving the last season's NFC Championship Game early with an injury, finished fifth at 38 percent.

The rest of the top 10: Patriots receiver Chad Ochocinco (35 percent), Eagles backup QB Vince Young (32 percent), Oakland Raiders QB Carson Palmer (31 percent), Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo and Carolina Panthers tight end Jeremy Shockey, who both were at 29 percent.

Only active NFL players who had a 10 percent "awareness level" with the public were considered for the poll, Forbes.com reported.

Michael Vick of Philadelphia Eagles reportedly most disliked NFL player in poll - ESPN

Surprised? Not me....

Well here's why....The E-Poll-Nielsen results were limited to active NFL players that record a minimum 10% awareness level with the public. Why the continued hostility toward Vick? Nielsen Sports VP Stephen Master chalks it up to the scientific sample that mirrors the entire U.S. population, not just hardcore football fans. Casual fans that know Vick’s name primarily through his dog fighting legal circus naturally tend to focus on the negative. Women, for example, view Vick negatively at a 70% clip, compared to 50% for men.

The NFL's Most Disliked Players - Forbes

Well here's why....The E-Poll-Nielsen results were limited to active NFL players that record a minimum 10% awareness level with the public. Why the continued hostility toward Vick? Nielsen Sports VP Stephen Master chalks it up to the scientific sample that mirrors the entire U.S. population, not just hardcore football fans. Casual fans that know Vick’s name primarily through his dog fighting legal circus naturally tend to focus on the negative. Women, for example, view Vick negatively at a 70% clip, compared to 50% for men.

The NFL's Most Disliked Players - Forbes

Also, unless you were to poll atleast HALF of the NFL fans and not allow the "vote early and often"... you are not getting a true sample size. Hell, how many adult nFL fans are there...? 25 million? You could poll 1 million and you are not even getting 10%.

When I heard this on the radio, I was a bit surprised to hear this. Seems like he has moved back up the "popularity" rankings with his play and such??

When I heard this on the radio, I was a bit surprised to hear this. Seems like he has moved back up the "popularity" rankings with his play and such??

I heard on the radio as well and gave it little to stand on due to the popularity of his jersey. That sort of cancelled that poll dead in it's tracks.

It's not so shocking...the poll makes sense.

This kind of stuff happens all the time for 'lightning rod' players and teams. The Yankees are always at the top of the lists of the most loved and the most hated teams. Are people lying? Of course not...it's just that EVERYONE has an opinion of the Yankees.

Same thing for the Toronto Maple Leafs...half of Canada loves them because they're Canada's team. Half the country hates them because...wait for it...so many people say they're Canada's team.

You've heard the same kind of thing about Brett Favre, Kobe Bryant, Derek Jeter, Sydney Crosby, etc...and it probably goes back to Wilt Chamberlain, Jimmy Connors, Gordie Howe, Magic Johnson, Reggie Jackson, and a whole bunch of others before my time.

Not news, really.

Sandra

Last edited:
It has little to do with VaTech and everything to do with his passed issues.

His dog days are over... he's moved on and there are far worse criminals in the NFL that have done far worse things but hey... that stuff doesn't get plastered everyday by mainstream media either so the blame lies with them.

I like to find the actual poll questions in polls like this..but this one seems to be more PR (for the polling company) than an actual poll.. the polling company provides marketability info on specific players

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)